1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Exporting/Importing Item data

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ken L, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Ken L

Ken L Member

Is there a way to export item data with their associated images?
    To import them?

I have a python script that effectively scraped and organized all PF items from D20PFSRD, but without any utility to import them I'm unable to use it.

I see items.data in

$/judge/campaigns/<campaign-name>/stored

But there's no direct tie with the metadata for the items (images). I believe through some gimmickry I can copy the metadata as well as the items.data to 'export' the item lists between campaigns, but if they even have slightly different items (say an amulet of spirits exists in one but not the other) then I can no longer do this trick.

Ideally I'd like to be able to simply export/import items between my campaigns as I can do maps and creatures.

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Not sure if this is what you are getting at or not, but a trick people used to do with tokens is..

Place them all on a map (one in each square or just not overlapping) and export the map.

Then you can import that map in another campaign, as well as then select all and save to library.

3. Ken L

Ken L Member

That would be painful for hundreds of items. I can group export creatures, but I can't do items, I guess this is something for mage hand.

Edit:
    Also that doesn't pull it into the library.

4. Wheels

Wheels Member

You can select a token and save it the library.

5. Whirlingdervish

The way D20 pro handles assets saddens me rather than a centralized location for the library you have to import everything you might want to use into the campaign making the file huge requiring that much mor memory i hope as they work on Magehand they find a better solution

6. Mickey

Mickey Member

Agreed.

7. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

You talking about one resource library for maps and token images that any campaign can use.
    Then having creatures available for any campaign that uses it's ruleset.

Such as if I run a 3.X or Pathfinder game I'll see all maps and token images from everything and only creatures that fit the 3.X or Pathfinder ruleset.

Then if I run a game in 4E I'll still see all the maps and token images and only see creatures that fit the 4E ruleset.

And etc.

8. Whirlingdervish

Yes the campaign file should be the ruleset, Monster manual, and any maps, handouts, tokens on the maps currently in use and yes a seperate library that all campaigns you might make can just access

9. Ken L

Ken L Member

Sounds very module like.

10. Whirlingdervish

modular would be a more apt term really if you keep tilesets and image files in a centraly located library accessible by all campaign files it reduces the size of the campaign file by orders of maginitude for instance barebones pathfinder with rules and monster tokens imported and one map is 52.4 MB. With all the tilesets, maps, textures, and tokens from the KS it is just a hair over 912 megs. So yeah i definitely prefer a more modular approach that keeps our campaign files smaller in turn allowing us to keep our memory allocation to semi reasonable levels