1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Fantasy art kit - Tiles, terrains & tokens

Discussion in 'User Created Content' started by Shockbolt, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Shockbolt

Shockbolt New Member

Hello,

My name is Raymond Gaustadnes and I'm a freelance digital artist living in Norway. I'm currently running a kickstarter project, named "Game Master's Campaign - Fantasy art kit" and I'm kinda "reluctantly" seeking out any forums I can find that are about Virtual tabletop softwares, in order to show that my project is live and possibly finding Game Masters, module makers or game developers in general that might have use of my artwork with their games.

The kit will contain, in the end: terrain maps, tiles to construct structures ontop of the terrain, decals to give variation to the terrain and a massive bunch of items, objects, creatures, monsters and fantasy characters to place ontop of the finished campaign map(s). Everything will come in two sizes, the largest versions allows you to print out the artwork, for use with your physical rpg campaigns should you wish for that.

The intended use for this kit, or should I say kits as I plan to create smaller addons to the main kit, it for digital use. You either load everything inside your VTT of choice and put together the map there, or take the terrains and tiles into any software capable of handling PNG files (transparent backgrounds), create your maps there and then bring the maps and tokens into your VTT of choice.

I have started painting the kit but there's tons of work to be done still. I've posted updates and examples for the kit over the last weeks in another forum, with some really nice feedback.

I've worked with many game companies in the past, creating artwork for various physical and digital games, you can see some of them here (be warned, you'll find new and not so recent artwork in the gallery :) ) http://shockbolt.deviantart.com

And then there's the kickstarter project page here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vortexgames/game-masters-campaign-the-fantasy-art-kit

Don't feel obliged to back it, but there are some nice rewards for the higher pledge levels, such as acquiring a license to use my artwork for your commercial projects, those rewards are limited.

Last but not least, here are some larger sized previews of the tokens and tiles, keep in mind: all creatures, monsters, characters, objects and items will come without backgrounds, this allows you to place and rotate them any way you want ontop of your maps. Files for digital use will be of reasonable size(sizes, as they will vary in size as to what the tokens are, dragons will be larger than goblins etc). A fantasy player character might be 128x128 pixels in size, more than enough to show some nice details in the token when used, or 64x64 pixels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AEIOU

AEIOU Member

For map making, would these walls and decals be placeable from within d20pro or would I need to make the map in something else like Photoshop or Gimp?

3. Shockbolt

Shockbolt New Member

You can do both. The idea was that by having tiles with no fixed background (such as stone floor, dirt floor, gravel, sand etc), you would need only one set of walls/doors/windows, and then place/arrange these tiles ontop of any terrain of your choice.
    These tiles come with shadow added to them, directional shadow, for added sense of depth. This means there are 4 basic tiles for the walls, one for each direction because of the shadowing.

So, put in short: yes, you are able to import the tiles onto the VTT also, and put the maps together there. Your VTT would have to support layers for the decals, as you'd need 1 layer for the terrains, 1 layer for the decals, 1 layer for the tiles and finally at least 1 layer for placing out the tokens ontop of everything. The intention from my side was to create the terrains, with decals, then import those into the VTT and add tiles and tokens, but both ways would work. See the preview below, where each tile is 256x256 pixels(with backgrounds placed under them for display only):

[​IMG]

4. cyderak

cyderak Member

Wow, your objects, weapons, and walls(terrain) are phenominal.

I think you'll have an easy time at funding your kickstarter. :D

5. Shockbolt

Shockbolt New Member

Thanks! It's going pretty well at the moment, reached over 30% of the minimum goal, still there's 40 days or so left of it :)

6. Shockbolt

Shockbolt New Member

More previews of tokens to be found within the Fantasy art kit, finished versions might look a tiny bit different than seen here, and some of the tokens will come in many versions:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. reubenlee310

reubenlee310 New Member

Lovely, you have great sense of color combination and of quality. Just, like your ideas. I also, preferred ceramic tiles. Lovely tiles .

8. Shockbolt

Shockbolt New Member

Many thanks! :)

9. Shockbolt

Shockbolt New Member

So, before I had time to rig a good example, and set the mini stretch goal on my KS page, the Minimap kit stretch goal was reached last night at $5500.

It will come free of charge with the Fantasy art kit, enabling you as a developer or GM, to create...minimaps to hand out to the players. Obviously, some work is required to be done, such as drawing roads, rivers, lakes onto the map. Below you'll see some examples of what you can design using the contents of the minimap kit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Using the terrain map symbols/tiles and spending a few minutes drawing roads, rivers and lakes, adding text, you might end up with something like this for use with your campaign:

[​IMG]

The list of tiles and symbols to be included with this Minimap kit is growing, what you see in the 3 examples above is just a small portion of what you'll find in the kit once it's ready.

10. Shockbolt

Shockbolt New Member

The KS project reached it's $7K stretch goal today, adding a Tavern/Inn addon art kit to the project. In addition, a new stretch goal was added, containing a Nautical addon art kit. Read more about both of them on the KS project page.

11. AEIOU

AEIOU Member

It appears that Fantasy Grounds has pledged for a VTT license for this artwork pack and will be offering the base package as part of their program. I'd say that they've invested wisely in their future.

I'm a backer of this project so I gain nothing if d20pro also pledges a VTT developers license, but I would love to see this available to everyone by default. Having strong art assets for DM's to use, incorporate and build from is essential for the longterm growth and health of any VTT. Having a COMMON set of art assets that all DM's can access could allow portability of dungeons, NPC's, mobs, adventures, etc. and help to build of a strong community that shares works created with those assets rather than using copyrighted material borrowed from all over the internet.

Or maybe the d20pro team already has pledged? There are two VTT license backers so far....

12. Shockbolt

Shockbolt New Member

@ AEIOU : Yes, I'm happy to see that Smiteworks/Fantasy Grounds value my work and want to merge the base Fantasy art kit into their VTT. d20 pro is not the second VTT, the second VTT is http://www.rpgwithme.com

I've already had some Fantasy Grounds license holders/users back my project before Smiteworks decided to get my VTT license to merge the art with their VTT, what I'm offering the users who already had a FG2 Full or Ultimate license is a free upgrade to the next pledge reward as they'll now be getting the base Fantasy art kit with their FG2 Full or Ultimate license.

If any d20pro license holder are backing my project, and d20pro decided to get a VTT license to merge my art into their VTT, I would offer the same for those users as well.

But, any claims would have to be confirmed with either Fantasy grounds or d20pro :)

13. Shockbolt

Shockbolt New Member

The $9k stretch goal was reached last night, adding the Castles, torture chamber & siege engines addon art kit to the project. The contents of this kit can now be found on the kickstarter project page. Also, a new stretch goal has been added...

14. AEIOU

AEIOU Member

Wow. That's very generous. And totally unexpected.

I'm happy that I've contributed regardless of its being implemented in d20pro. Adding artwork would be stepping it up with value add rather than luring customers with shiny objects and pretty pictures.

Having a consistent set of artwork is well worth the small investment to encourage you to keep at it. It's actually pretty amazing that something like the recent art packs offered through Kickstarter haven't really happened before now.

15. Shockbolt

Shockbolt New Member

A couple of previews, made with some of the tiles, terrains, decals and tokens made so far for the base Fantasy art kit. The purpose of these two previews were to create wooden structures, using two wood tile sets to be found with the base Fantasy art kit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Shockbolt

Shockbolt New Member

Free of charge, the Minimap kit will be provided with all base Fantasy art kits. The minimap kit allows you to create fantasy/medieval maps, and then hand them out to your players during a rpg campaign. Here are some of the compass symbols that will be coming with the Minimap kit, along with tiles and tokens to create the rest of the interior and exterior maps, such as creating dungeon levels, house levels or terrains.

[​IMG]

17. Shockbolt

Shockbolt New Member

18. Shockbolt

Shockbolt New Member

New previews of the symbols/tiles that will be found in the Minimap art kit that comes with the Fantasy art kit, for free:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Shockbolt

Shockbolt New Member

More previews:

[​IMG]

20. Shockbolt

Shockbolt New Member

The Kickstarter project ended a few minutes ago, 477% funded, reaching several stretch goals. I guess a lot of people are in for a serious amount of rpg artwork for their campaigns. I'm also really looking forward to seeing the rpg modules and game projects, using my artwork.