1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Fog of War

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kridak, Feb 7, 2010.

1. kridak

kridak New Member

I would like the pc's to move their tokens and the fog of war to automatically remove itself?

I cannot seem to do this.

also is there a vision blocking layer so that if looking into a inn you could look in a window and only see some things?

Thank you

2. Dan

Dan Member

Those features are currently unsupported, I'm afraid. We may incorporate them into a future release, so keep checking back.

3. kridak

kridak New Member

Are these options in the que or do you see them anytime in the near future?

Deciding whether to move from Maptools to d20pro and these 2 abilities are very important to me.

4. Dan

Dan Member

The earliest I could see them is probably late summer. RP Map tools is good, but there are many differences that might affect your decision.

d20pro's main strength is it's ability to easily handle creature hit points, armor class, and effects in a visual way. There are scripts for map tools but they aren't core functions and some people are uncomfortable using them. d20pro is built from the ground up to handle initiative, unit stats, effects, and durations. The effect system allows modifiers to ability scores, hit, damage, heal over time, damage over time, and even compares bonus types for stacking. d20pro handles damage reduction, energy resistance, and even allows you to import full characters from Hero Labs or WotC's D&D Insider 4E Character Builder.

Not many other VTs do that at such a low price ($10 per license, with GM licenses being $30 and come with 2 player slots).

If you want a full rundown and live tutorial, I'll be glad to demo and answer any questions you and your group have. I'm sure that even without automatic fog of war we can suit your needs!

5. bocephus

bocephus New Member

I would definitely like to see this, light sources, and line of sight in future releases.

6. Lord Elderon

Lord Elderon New Member

Hi bocephus,

Noted and sent to our development team. Please keep them coming. We greatly appreciate feedback from our customers and add these ideas during our development discussions.

Best,

Nick

7. katowulf

katowulf New Member

Just want to toss in my vote for the light sources. This would be a major addition for our group.

8. Lord Elderon

Lord Elderon New Member

Noted. Thanks for you opinion(s), and please keep them coming. It is the easiest way for us to tailor the software to what our users want. We play on it regularly, but we don't catch everything. Any help / hints/ advice / etc are greatly appreciated.

Best,

Nick

9. djc664

djc664 Member

I would imagine that my view is from a smaller niche market (projector table-top, not online play), but I'm SUPER interested in line of sight & fog of war working as it does in MapTools. Basically it boils down to the fact that I'm using d20Pro as a replacement for my maps and figures, not for my whole table, notes & character sheets.

That said, this feature alone is enough to make me strongly consider using MapTools instead... even though I've already paid for a GM license at GenCon this year... :(

10. Micco

Micco New Member

I'm with you. I've purchased the whole enchilada package of d20Pro to 'vote with my pocketbook.' I love the mechanics (but would like better condition setting), but can't give up the vision blocking, lighting, and fog of the package I currently use. So put me in the camp of those who want a solid vision management system asap.

This isn't disappointment, by the way. I am very happy with d20Pro and got exactly what I thought I was getting. I just want more :)

11. Gnoll

Gnoll New Member

Ditto. Very happy with D20pro for our 4ed Games. Putting 4e effects on creatures and automatic lighting are my top feature requests too. The Fog of war isn't that bad to manage now, but there is a delay when I have to uncover areas. Sometimes the pcs are surprised when they move their the characters close to the fog before I am ready and then want to take back a move. :eek:

12. Swash

Swash New Member

Line of sight and auto fog of war, are about the only things stopping me from purchasing.

13. LordValerius

LordValerius New Member

I love D20Pro, but at this point, I am actually considering a move back to that ungainly monster of a program, Maptools, just because of the lack of dynamic FoW and Light/Vision implementation. I hate Maptools. It's too bad the FoW/Vision is not something that can be paid for right now, because I would pay upwards of 50 bucks for it. I hate Maptools.

Val

14. danielpryor

danielpryor New Member

I've seen other programs out there that have "dynamic" fog of ware features. Basically what's needed is you as a GM sit down and "draw" where barriers are, like walls, trees, columns, etc. I've also found it to be a pain in the butt so I stopped using those programs and used GIMP or some paint program to "erase" the "FOG" layer as we go. However I find that D20 version is better because you can deleted individual blocks as you go. I think you'll find that you really don't need dynamic FOW because players won't be able to see behind them after reavealing part of the map. My philosophy has always been that once they've "uncovered" an area, it's visible. However, I'm sure that you could always set a configuration to once they revealed an area it stays revealed etc. BUt again, if you think about it, dynamic FOW really isn't neccessary.. Jut my two cents.

15. ogexam

ogexam Member

We are planning to have options for the Fog of War like:
    Once revealed leave revealed
    Only reveal when within line of sight and have light source or vision
    Once revealed but not in LoS set to 50% shadow

16. ChrisRevocateur

When set to this, will the 50% shadow also keep creatures that aren't set to invisible from being seen?

17. ogexam

ogexam Member

If I recall the design notes correctly the areas you do not have LoS to but you have been in and at 50% you will NOT see any creatures on there. It would just allow you to look back at what was there. You may decide to walk around the corner and ut oh the bad guys have recouped their forces and won't let you out without a fight.

18. ChrisRevocateur

Excellent *taps the tips of his fingers together as he gets a sinister look on his face.*

19. kridak

kridak New Member

Maybe not for you.

The manual revealing of FoW is my biggest pet peave. I have enough to do, i do not want to do something as mundane as revealing players FoW.

Let the system do that based on the players current lightsource type and distance and let me tell the story. Nothing like entering a room and saying "ok hold on let me open up your visible areas." click click click click click "ok you see a ...." Pass thanks. We moved to d20pro from maptools and this is all our players biggest beef. Everything else about d20pro is pretty damn cool.

I am glad they are addressing, i have been waiting a great deal of time for it as have others.

Different points of view.

20. kridak

kridak New Member

Awesome, just what i was hoping.

Thanks Ogexam