1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Fussy Map Grids

Discussion in 'User Created Content' started by ChrisRevocateur, Oct 25, 2011.

1. ChrisRevocateur

So I was trying to import a map, and couldn't get the grid to match up. I've seen quite a few people complain about this.

Well, I think I've found a solution.

-Instead of creating a new map and importing the image, first you need to edit the image. Crop the image so that the very edges of the image match as exactly as you can with the furthest edge grid line, on all four sides.
    -Next you count the width and height of the map in squares.
    -Create a new RAW map with the same dimensions as your map.
    -Using the Image Scaler under the draw tools, import the map as an image, and choose to "fill" the map.

Ta-da! A map with a very close approximation of the grid.

Keep in mind that i haven't tried this on huge maps yet, which have the biggest issue with grid snap, but the idea is sound, and it should work.

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, this is the best current solution for getting the grid to match up.

3. SolitonMan

SolitonMan New Member

Are there any plans to update this in the future? The ideal solution would be to enable the user to "drag" the grid overlay to a desired position over the map. This way one could create a d20Pro grid that matches as closely as possible the one on the map image (should such exist) and then position is appropriately.

4. ChrisRevocateur

There have been a lot of people, myself included, that have put in a request for a drag-able grid overlay. I haven't seen a response to it from the development team. We can just hope that they'll maybe fix it soon.

5. Kizan

Kizan New Member

I would MUCH rather have this feature than have FOW! MUCH MUCH MUCH more.

Just my (loud) two cents,

Kizan

6. ChrisRevocateur

I hear ya buddy. But obviously before we came along, enough people came around and complained about dynamic FoW that they made that a bit of a priority. Here's to hoping they make drag-able map grids the next priority.

7. Dan

Dan Member

You can drag the image under the grid when you create the map from a file. Create a new map, choose from file, then move the map to line the grid up. Resize the grid as you see fit.

Perhaps I'm missing something? How would dragging the grid after the map is baked different than dragging it before you set it?

8. ChrisRevocateur

What we're referring to is the capability to drag and set individual grid lines, allowing us to have an irregular grid, that way we can set the grid lines to fit with maps that don't have a consistent grid, like the maps for Paizo's AP's. I used to think that it was a problem with the grid vector (maybe their grid lines are two pixels wide while the d20Pro grid line is only one pixel) that made it impossible to line them up correctly, but then I started to notice that about 1/2 the AP maps lined up pretty well on one axis, while not being able to line up at all on the other.

Basically, not all maps have grids that are truly square, and it would be a major help if we were able to make our grids irregular as well.

9. Dan

Dan Member

Or stretch the map image so they are? I think in almost all cases the maps are supposed to use square grids. I think, given the cell-based nature of d20pro, it would be easier to be able to resize the map image than break aspect ratio of the square grid cells.

10. ChrisRevocateur

I'm not exactly skilled with image manipulation, so I would really know how to go about that without it being just a series of random stretching, importing, finding it still doesn't fit, repeat, over and over and over again until I get it right. I can see how that would be easier for you guys, instead of trying to code the ability for custom grid vectors, but it certainly isn't easier for me.

But there are also images in which the grid is irregular in an irregular manner, and no amount of image stretching will fix that. I know this is an extreme example, but this is a map I've been trying to get to fit the d20Pro grid for freaking EVER!

[​IMG]

As you can see, there a quite a few spots where even along the same axis, it's not the same number of pixels from one grid line to the next. Is it poor cartography, yes, but I'd still like to be able to use this map in my games.

I doubt this helps, but I'll explain how my brain sees the UI for such a thing: Make the map as you normally would for d20Pro, setting the grid size as best you can and everything, but BEFORE clicking save on the grid placement screen, I was thinking you could click and drag individual grid lines, and maybe even buttons to add an extra grid line at the very bottom or far right that could then be manipulated in the same way, just in case manipulating the existing grid lines leaves you with a gap at the end, and the reverse, being able to delete an excess grid line at the edge of the map.

While I don't expect this kind of feature, I gotta say, it would be immensely useful. I really want either this, or the capability to move characters independent of the grid, so that you can just make the grid invisible, and wing it based on the visual grid that the map already has.

11. Dan

Dan Member

That may be do-able in the future, but the current architecture limits us to square cells. Grids are tied to those cells, so they can't be rectangular.

The solution right now is to modify the map in Photoshop or similar. I would recommend Aviary.com as it has a photoshop-like app called Phoenix and it's web-based.

If you want, you can email the original master file to me at dan@mindgene.com and I can take a look. Others on the forum have Photoshop skills as well I'm sure.

I'd be happy to try my hand.

12. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

I think I would kill myself before trying to run that dungeon. :D

You could split that map into several pieces. It looks like it's already divided into fairly reasonable sub-sections. It might get annoying and/or messy to have six different maps open at the same time, but it would be doable.

13. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

How's this map? Native to d20Pro now.

http://www.mediafire.com/?b8yc7y6yieyq2be

14. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

So... how did you do it? Were there any particular problems you had to fix?

15. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

I found a CC2 version of the map, opened it up in CC3, then exported it to an image with specific size to maintain exact grid.

Those images of the map found elsewhere are only meant to be a guide when drawing the map on a vinyl map at the game table. Even the poster size doesn't maintain exact grid space. And even with CC you must do some math manually to export an image maintaining exact grid spacing, since it asks only for max size and if you wish to scale. But knowing you are exporting to an image that will be used to place miniatures (either virtual or real), one can export maintaining exact grid size.

You could also create the map in d20Pro simply using the draw tools, make walls and doors as your party goes along. For this map, you would first have to start out with a grid size of at least 312x426.

16. Dan

Dan Member

Thanks Curtis!

17. Entola

Entola Member

Sticky this post please! I spend hours fiddling with Photoshop to get the squares right. Pulled up this post, bam! Problem solved.

18. Undeadlord

Undeadlord New Member

I am still having an issue with this method. I can create a Raw Map with the right size, then Import my Map image, but from Draw tools, I can't see a way to select the map so that the Fill button on the bottom will light up? Am I missing something?

19. Entola

Entola Member

Attached Files:

20. Undeadlord

Undeadlord New Member

Therein lies my problem ....

Attached Files:

• D20.jpg
      File size:
      280.5 KB
      Views: