1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Game Log Color

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dragonmaster13, May 31, 2012.

1. Dragonmaster13

On my laptop I run the latest version with Windows 7 in Judge mode. On my desktop again I run the latest version with Windows 7 in player mode. That way I can check to make sure things look right for my players. I have noticed though that the chat window on the player's version is white while the judge version is black.

Because of the white background it is hard to read as the fonts are in a light color. Is there a way to change the background color to black or to change the font color.

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

There could be some setting inside the player's preferences directory that is causing this.

Try this:

Goto the following directory:
    d20Pro > player >

You will notice two directories inside: campaigns and pref.

rename the pref directory to pref_old

If you have d20Pro open, close the program.
    Then open d20Pro as Player and connect again. This will reset the Player preferences back to the default.
    If you want more contrast between the background chat and the text inside, use Opaque Windows from the Options.

Let me know if this solves the issue.

To answer the second part of the question: Yes, you are able to customize the color of the text inside:
    d20Pro > player > pref > gamelogcolors.txt

The colors are in hex code, you can view and find the hex code corresponding to the color you wish to use:
    http://www.2createawebsite.com/build/color.swf

3. Dragonmaster13

Ok did that but the game lof window background color was still white. Also the game hint window color was white and you could not read any thing in it with out hightlighting it.

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

That is really interesting, the default color should be identical to your other d20Pro installation when you are running the Judge server. Perhaps there is an issue with the d20Pro or Java installation. Try re-downloading then installing the Full Install version of d20Pro in new directory, then connect as player.

Then if that doesn't solve the issue, I would report this via the Contact Page. Then report back here to tell us the solution in case someone else has a similar experience.

5. soloder

soloder New Member

Is there a solution to this posted somewhere? I am having the same issue. comparing values of file with a computer that works and has the same information in each file (copied the file from the good computer over to bad). but no dice... (pun totally intended)

6. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Two of my players have having this problem as well. Would appreciate a fix for this as it makes it hard for them to follow some of the game happenings without highlighting text in the chat window all the time.

7. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

This seems to be a Java error. And I'm including directions for Windows based OS's. If this happens on MacOS or Linux based OS's please let me know.

Increase Java Memory Allocation:
    Typically, Java not displaying proper colors is due to low memory allocation.
    Option 1: Re-install d20pro (update) and increase the memory allocation (recommended: use 1/4 of total RAM, so if you have 4GB RAM, use 1024MB)
    Option 2: Modify d20Pro.bat and increase the "-xmx" value, then start d20Pro using the bat file.

Increase Java Program Priority:
    The problem can also be caused by Java not having enough priority over other applications. You can adjust the priority of Java.
    Step 1: Open d20Pro, then open the Task Manager (either by Alt+Ctrl+Delete or by right-clicking on the Task Bar and select Start Task Manager)
    Step 2: Select the "Processes" Tab.
    Step 3: Right click on javaw.exe.
    Step 4: Select "Set Priority" then set to "High."
    Step 5: Close Task Manager. Close d20Pro. Reopen d20Pro.

Uninstall Java/ Re-install Java
    Most java related issues can be resolved by removing Java completely and starting again with a clean install.
    Step 1: Open Windows Control Panel (Start > Settings > Control Panel).
    Step 2: Open (classic view) Add/Remove Programs; (category view) Uninstall a program under Programs; (icon view) Programs and Features.
    Step 3: Uninstall all installed version of Java, one at a time. Then make sure you have no versions of Java installed.
    Step 4: Visit http://www.java.com and follow the installation instructions. Then verify Java is installed.
    Step 5: Restart your computer. (Yes, restart your computer)