1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

GIF Animations for D20 Pro

Discussion in 'User Created Content' started by cyderak, Aug 9, 2010.

1. cyderak

cyderak Member

2. cyderak

cyderak Member

3. Tivaan

Tivaan New Member

NIce addition
    I have been using a few and its actually pretty cool.
    In fact I started looking at some of my spell effect icons i use in the game and guess what.... using animated gifs is so much cooler

take a look at a few
    Cloud of Daggers

and
    Fireball

Attached Files:

4. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

I, personally, don't use any of the "draw tools" (except doors) during combat - as I have a bad habit of accidentally overwriting (or moving) my entire map. Instead, I do things like make a monster called "trap door" and use the appropriate "picture" for the "creature" ...

I can see doing something similar for these spell effects.

Another thing one could do, is to assign effects to "Items" - give items to mobs - have mobs drop items (to trigger effects).

While I often have mobs "drop loot" that can be visualized on the screen - one could just as easily "drop spell effects" (using an invisible creature if desired); and could use the same creature to pick the effects up (one they expired)/

5. Tivaan

Tivaan New Member

Thurgien,

Heres what I do for spell effects for example a fir ball

I create a creature called fireball and add the gif image and leave in my inventory of creatures.

When the wizard decides to throw that firball spell he creates the red square and places it on the board, this genrates the request to the dm "is it ok to place the square" before i hit yes (the green arrow) i simply drag the fireball effect place it over the square and hit no (the red x) and hit refresh.

What happens is on the dm screen the monsters get covered with the fireball but on the players screen the firwball appears under the monster tiles and it looks like the wizard hit them with a fireball. By the time i have done this the request comes from the player to finish the attack or effects dialague I finish these and then hit "end turn" and delete the monster (spell effect) from my screen and it updates the players showing the effect as completed and is gone.

It does take a few minutes to get the hang of it but I can honestly say using creatures as secret doors, traps and spell effects is really very easy and it gives the game a differant flair, and quite honestly the players and i enjoy it.
    There is definitely no questions about when a fireball hits an ally or not.

6. cyderak

cyderak Member

Does anyone know where I could find some Neverwinter Nights animations for use with D20 Pro???

7. bigkilla

bigkilla Member

How are you guys using the Gifs? as charcter or monster images?

8. Tivaan

Tivaan New Member

I create monster files and create the spell effects like i would a trap file

9. ogexam

ogexam Member

Just put the .gif file into the res ctr folder and you can use anitmated or regular .gif files.

10. cyderak

cyderak Member

Thanks Ogexam.

I used one of the GIF animations for my avatar on these forums. Looks killer eh.

I also found some Spell animations from Planescape Torment. Heres the Link:

http://www.planetbaldursgate.com/pst/ch ... nimations/

If anyone knows of where I can find the Baldur's gate and Icewind Dale Spell animations post the link on this thread. Thanks in advance.

11. cyderak

cyderak Member

Anyone else have GIF images to share?

12. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

I have pulled out some Baldur's Gate Gifs. I am having no trouble implementing them, but I am not seeing the animation function on the map. I sthis just due to me seeing the GM side, and the players see it, or am I doing something wrong? I used the GIF as an image for a created monster.

13. cyderak

cyderak Member

I got the GIF to work as monster images and the spell GIF's I just created a new monster and used that particular GIF for that spell.

Is there any way you could send me your GIF's?

14. Dan

Dan Member

These are awesome! Snagging!