1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Good Place to Host Images?

Discussion in 'User Created Content' started by Entola, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Entola

Entola Member

I created maps for the Haunting of Harrowstone AP and would like to post the full images, but, of course, the file size is way too big to just post in the forums. So I would like to host them on another site and link to them to allow people to download the full file. What are some good sites to host an image on. My main concerns are I don't want people to have to log in or sign up to download the file, and I would like it to be something that will be around for a while (I don't want to have to update broken links if the site goes belly up). Also, it would have to have unlimited file size upload.

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

I use photobucket, since you can manage your own images, password protected directories (so only direct image pulls are allowed), and open directories (so you can share a complete photo album with friends or family).

Free = 2GB (but you can always create more accounts, each one with a different email address)
    They do have other options: 20GB, 50GB, 100GB, 200GB, and 500GB options are available for a monthly fee.

Image Hosted via photobucket
    [​IMG]

There are other image hosting sites available:
    flickr/ (Free Image Hosting, yahoo login required to upload. Max 300MB upload per month (30MB per upload). Paid subscription required for Unlimited upload)
    Image Hosted by flickr
    [​IMG]
    TinyPic (Free Image Hosting, no signup required. URL given for each upload. Hosted by photobucket)
    ImageShack (Free Image Hosting, no signup required. URL given for each upload or paid accounts and you can manage images)

Of course there are more image hosting sites, but these have lasted for quite a while and are unlikely to go away since they also offer paid accounts.

3. Entola

Entola Member

Thanks for the reply, all these sites either limit the upload size or resize the image once it's uploaded. I'm working with pretty large files, but perhaps I need to reduce the size.

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

I haven't had any issues with re-sizing, they always keep the original size. You can either select a lower res version or the full version of the image with a single click. The re-sizing that was done with the yahoo service was by choice (the full image is still there and accessible, but has a different URL). Really, it's mostly an upload limit per file, which can be increased with a paid subscription. Or an account max upload limit, which can also be increased with a paid subscription. But, these all offer image hosting options that will be available for quite a while - low low chance of them going out of business.

5. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Why not go with an actual webhost, then you can do anything you want. The cost really isn't bad, especially if you are considering paying for an image hosting canned source. Ipage has a free domain for 1 year and unlimited space for like 3 bucks a month. -> http://www.ipage.com/compare-hosting

This way your only restrictions are the ones you choose.

Another alternative is to hook up with someone who already does that and wouldn't mind hosting the images for you.. umh, like maybe us :p

6. malarcio

malarcio New Member

I like Mediafire. It's rather cheap (less then $5 a month) to get a fairly large space (4gb max file size, 250GB of storage / 2.5TB/month bandwidth) rented out.

My own mediafire site already mirrors the entire dunjinni forum archive, a heraldic design database and my own personal token/tile/map collection and I'm not even remotely near my allowed storage. And if your files are larger than 4gb each.. you need to seriously work on reducing file sizes.

7. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

just my opinion of course.. but the problem with sites like those is the bloatware that comes with them..
    or, the 400px x 400px content frame surrounded by 90% screen realty crammed with advertising blarg (most which is crapware)

8. malarcio

malarcio New Member

Advert space and wasted real estate can certainly be an issue. That's one reason to pay a little bit for your hosting. On Mediafire and a few other file hosts, if your a subscriber, you don't have any adverts on your pages. I'm really not sure what 'others' might see when downloading from me, but I have it set to allow direct downloading for others. So if I link a file directly, it should just allow downloading, without even showing a page.

Just out of curiosity, here is are direct links to a work in progress halfling token -
    Preview Image -http://www.mediafire.com/view/?ays5cqxtx9iq27t
    Download file - http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?a2ffbdffuegyg56
    Do those work without wasted adspace?

By the way, I also own my own domain spaces, but I have found that using my personal domain space for my hobby data ties up too much bandwidth. Where as, even when a map or tile set is really popular (such as the forum post archives), its very hard to use up 2.5TB of bandwidth and it's pretty cheap. YMMV, but I have found cheap file-hosting to effective vs using my domain space.

9. Entola

Entola Member

I ended up using http://www.deviantart.com/. It works well enough. I'm not opposed to hosting my own site, I am the webmaster for my company, but it's the typical mechanic's car is always broken syndrome. Get home and don't really want to mess with it. I'd rather play games and spend time with my kid :)

10. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

heheheheheheheh, I hear ya there...

11. seancair

seancair New Member

I am looking for a best place to host image. I know here some sites but not the best.

12. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

I'd suggest deviantart..