1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Graphical issue

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by vanith, Jul 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. vanith

vanith Member

I have updated my Java code and anytime I try to open objects in the D20pro judge side, I keep getting memory leaks in the display.

I recently upgraded my motherboard, RAM, and CPU along with my video card drivers. When I was using my old system, I never had this issue, but this is the first week of playing with the new. I updated most of those devices, but I'm updating the Graphics card. I have been able to replicate the issue and captured it into a video so you can witness it.

I have around 150 objects open due to a large city wide invasion.

I was trying to update the witch's spell list and they don't move from the spells listed into spells known until I close out the character.

FIX:

I found what the issue is:

I wasn't using the batch file and only using the .exe when I was running the program.
    -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false (This is what resolved the problem for me)
    Thanks Edwardcd

Make sure you are using the Batch file, not the .exe file. This will inject the fix for you without having to modify the Windows Environmental Variables.

#1 vanith, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

This should be fixed in the current beta that's available. And will also be fixed on the next release also.

3. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Agreed. NVidia + Java wasn't happy for a bit there. I had a guy doing some testing with me this past week who hit the same problem on the current build -- updated drivers and no longer an issue. Again, 7xx series GPU.

4. magnetord

magnetord New Member

Seeing very similar behavior with a Radeon r9 390.
    Is the beta you refer to is 3.6.6.5?

Side note: Dragging edit window outside the main window helps at least that one, for others dealing with this

And lastly thank you

vanith likes this.
  5. RenScotson

RenScotson New Member

Where do we download the current beta? I'm having this issue as well as a GM and its really making things difficult to prepare and run.

6. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Public Beta's can be found on the Archive -> http://archive.d20pro.com/Public_Beta

I'd strongly suggest installing it into a different location, such as C:\d20pro_beta or C:\beta_20pro

vanith likes this.
  7. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Folks, let me know if 3.6.7.7 is still giving this after a GPU driver update. I'm also looking into the JRE. It could be that the version we're shipping with D20PRO right now is introducing this issue.

le'sigh.

vanith likes this.
  8. RenScotson

RenScotson New Member

Unfortunately I am still having this issue with 3.6.8 64 bit. I have a R9 290X with Crimson 16.8.2 drivers as well as 1.8.0_102 version of Java.

New campaign, old campaign, new install, 64 bit or 32 bit. Nothing seems to resolve it other than restarting the program every few minutes. Though it may have been related to my second monitor where I display visual aids for my local game, but unfortunately that didn't help.

Edit: I've added a before the problems start, and after screen capture.

Attached Files:

#8 RenScotson, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    vanith likes this.
  9. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

I do not feel strongly that the gfx issues are fixed in 3.6.9, however, we just launched it this evening. It's worth a shot.

there was some clean up to the included libraries in hopes of eliminating some of these issues.

We're still investigating as well, but so far it seems to be related to memory (not entirely in our control) or a run-away jpanel call (something we have a hope of isolating and defeating even though it's CR appears to be many levels above our own)

vanith likes this.
  10. magnetord

magnetord New Member

Looks like his setup is similar adapter to mine (r9 290 vs r9 390). Makes me wonder about downgrading my adapter drivers to see if the problem goes away. Will see how easily thats possible tomorrow I guess

vanith likes this.
  11. vanith

vanith Member

Please see the top post, I found the fix... I had to push the fix to my computer instead of using my batch file because I had another program using Java give me the same issues.

http://kwebble.com/blog/2013/03/07/garbled-java-windows-on-vmware-set-j2d-d3d-to-false
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...-appears-broken-in-jdk-1-8-correct-in-jdk-1-7
    http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/2d/flags.html

Always use the batch file! The wonderful programmers at D20pro know best. :/ Spent a lot of time with a self-inflicted gunshot wound trying to figure out what I did wrong when it was simple to use the batch file instead.

#11 vanith, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  12. RenScotson

RenScotson New Member

Still having the issues in 3.6.9 with the .exe file, but running the batch file seems to be working without any of the glitches so far. Don't GM til Wednesday so will see how it goes. Thanks vanith!

Edit: Everything is working perfectly, thank yall very much!

#12 RenScotson, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  13. magnetord

magnetord New Member

Nice catch Vanith. So far launching C:\Program Files\MesaMundi\D20PRO\D20PRO.bat works for the graphic issue.

One open question this does seem to break the memory config tool on the start window.
    memoryconfig.png

Anyone got a way to make that not default to .5G?

14. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

In the bat file add -Xmx1024m (or whatever you want to allocate)

something like this:

start .\jre\bin\javaw.exe -Xmx2048m -Dsun.java2d.ddoffscreen=false -Dsun.java2d.noddraw -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -jar d20Pro.jar

15. magnetord

magnetord New Member

Awesome, thanks Owlbear