1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

How do you work leveling in D20pro?

Discussion in 'D&D 4th Edition' started by Darkrin, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Darkrin

Darkrin Member

Do you reimport the leveled characters every level or do you just update the one that is there?

Are there any hang ups if you dont reimport? like does something not calculate right like AC? etc

Having to re import every time someone levels I am finding is a pain there is so much I have to copy over from the old character to the new by hand.

do you have any tips or tricks for the rest of us please share....

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

I duplicate the character, rename the new character's "module" to indicate campaign and level. Then update the changes to reflect the new level.

Depending on the amount of changes, I typically can update a character within 1 to 10 minutes (spellcasters take the most time, since I use abilities tab for spells... I'll update all the spell's duration). I find this update method the best for fast play in game (no need to look up rules).

The one-minute approach:
    I ask my player to tell me (as I update their character)...
    1) any stat increase
    2) class level increase
    3) ref, fort, will saves
    4) HP
    5) skill increases (list skill name and current ranks)
    6) any special abilities added

The ten-minute approach (for spellcasters):
    I ask my player to send me their herolab portfolio.
    I then go though the portfolio and make sure everything from their herolab portfolio matches on their d20Pro character. Updating spell duration and effect take the majority of the time.

3. Darkrin

Darkrin Member

Thank you Edward, that beats reimporting. I will have to try that next time

4. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

I have found that after importing a newly leveled character from HeroLabs, there is very little I need to change. Mainly the character portrait. What types of things do you find you need to change?

5. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

If you have a character portrait on Hero Lab, it will include it in the d20Pro output file :)

Regarding the question, I usually have about 5+ abilities (for melee) and about 30+ abilities (for casters) in the Ability tab, which are exactly defined. In addition, I remove about half the attacks since they aren't going to be used (like attacking with the armor's gauntlet with the off-hand). Then I add more attacks that will be used, such as "Acrobatics vs CMD" to have acrobatics/tumble success/failure auto-calculated. I then add PowerAttack/Cleave/GreatCleave and combo them up with attacks so game play is quicker. Or, many-shot/rapid-shot combo for ranged players with the appropriate feats. Then add in some ranged touch attacks for 0-level spells such as ray of frost, or for some domain powers like cleric's ranged fire bolt (cleric's ranged fire bolt will also have a counter in the abilities tab to keep track of use per day). Or, perhaps the creature has a feat that alters one of their combat maneuvers, such as improved trip, I'll then add another attack "Improved Trip vs CMD" and have the appropriate bonus auto-calculated.

6. neofax

neofax New Member

If you were really gung-ho about this, you could do all of this in HeroLab and export multiple versions of the character and merge the xml files together. Or, see if one of the HeroLab coders could add these as options on the attack output if checked in the In-Play section.

7. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Interesting idea regarding adding to Hero Lab. While this would help in the "Attacks" tab inside d20Pro, it won't update the "Abilities" tab with exact effects inside d20Pro. That said, it may be something I will pursue to reduce my prep time down the road.

Though, merging multiple xml files together is identical in time as copying an attack inside d20Pro. And currently, I've found no way to incorporate a current creature in d20Pro with new content simply working with the creature's .d20_ctr file and the new herolab d20Pro export file. Have you found a way to do this?

8. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Last time I imported from HL, there was no portrait, maybe a month ago. Wasn't that just recently fixed? Maybe I need to update.

9. ogexam

ogexam Member

The primary portrait in HL will be imported directly into d20Pro now.

10. neofax

neofax New Member

Never tried that. As for the copying the data into XML, you could probably just make a diff file. I wish someone in the HeroLabs community added the capability to add all of the possible attacks w/o having to export multiple characters. By this I mean if I check the Power Attack checkbox on the In-Play tab it doesn't just change the attacks, it creates a new set. Same way with spells and metamagic.

11. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

I am still interested in hearing the response of the OP to this question.