1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

How to invite players to your game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Devil Dog, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

I am new to d20pro. I have the DM license that comes with 2 player licenses. How am I able to let someone remotely use one of these player licenses to join my campaign? Do I simply give them my username and password so that they can log onto my account to access the player license? Or do they create an account of their own and I somehow invite them via their account?

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

No you do not want to be giving other people you info like that... they can use the demo client (essentially free) when connected to you, using one of your seats. Clients with licences do not count against your seats either. So, it's a great way to let others into your game, and they get to tryout the software and your game at no cost to them...

You give the players your IP number and port. They in turn use that number and port to tell the client app to connect to your host.

You can find that info in the Options Menu->Judge Tab->Get IP Address.

[​IMG]

#2 Wesley Gorby, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  3. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

Thanks Krilion,
    Do you mind explaining what this looks like from the player's side. When I log into my account I don't see any space wherein I would enter the IP number. If I click on one of my player's licenses, I get a prompt. For those without a license, do they have a similar button to press in order to enter the IP number and port?

4. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Yes, they will have a similar screen. Selecting 'Player - Guest' will prompt a sub screen for them to input IP and port.

[​IMG]

playerconnectd20pro.jpg

clicking the 'Advanced' button will allow for changing the port number.

playerconnectd20pro2.jpg

5. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

My player is not able to connect to my campaign. If I am understanding this correct, when he presses the blue "player" button and the "join a game" menu pops up, he needs to delete the default number of 127.0.0.1 within the IP address box and type in the IP number that my campaign is giving me when I press "get my IP' under the options menu. The default port of 10101 already matches so there is no need to change it. When my friend does this he gets an error message that the campaign cannot be found.

I've tried joining the campaign with my player license, and if I type the IP number from the judges screen into the box, the same error message pops up. If I don't change the default IP of 127.0.0.1 and just press 'ok' then I am able to join the game. I am assuming this is because I am opening the player window on the same computer in which I opened the GM screen.

I set windows firewall to allow the D20pro.exec app through and that didn't work. I then completely shut off the firewall and my player is still unable to connect. I also have a Trend micro antivirus software running. Do I need to make an alteration to it as well?

What am I missing?

6. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

If you have a router, you'll need to set up port forwarding.

7. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

Thanks. I got it working.

8. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Great. we are working on a solution to pass network traffic via UDP, but this is still not available and will take some time.

9. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

ok. I ran into another problem. After setting up the port forwarding, I tried connecting with a player license--again on the same computer. I typed in the IP address and was able to connect (before doing the port forwarding, I was unable to connect when typing in the IP address). However, when my two friends attempted to log in remotely, they still got the error message indicating that the game could not be found. I tried doing so as well, this time from a different computer in my home, and I got the error message as well. I did shut down the firewall and still no dice; however, I was using a work computer that has a LAN antivirus program running as well which I was unable to alter. I know diagnosing issues can be hard when you don't have access to the computer and are just getting descriptive information, but, anyone have any advice on what may be causing the issue?

10. Whirlingdervish

Which IP address are you typing in? public or private?

11. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

When connecting locally, some PC inside your home network you will use the local IP (usually start with 192.168.xxx.xxx).
    if you are connecting from the same PC you can try local host 127.0.0.1.

For those connecting to you from outside your local network (LAN in your house) these people will connect to your WAN IP or public IP.

d20proconnecting.jpg

12. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

Yes. They are using my public IP. In d20pro I go to options, click "get my IP" and then send them the Public number [the top one listed]. As I mentioned in previous posts; I am using the default port 10101 so that is not the issue either.
    I have used the default 127.0.0.1 when loading the player's license on the same computer. I get connected as well if I enter the public IP. However, when I try to log in from a different computer in my home using the public IP, or when someone tries to connect remotely using the public IP, an error message occurs saying that they cannot find the game.

13. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

if you are connecting locally ""from a different computer in my home"" you use the 192.168.xxx.xxx number.

As to people from the outside, it's most likely an incorrect port forward. what is the make and model of your modem/router?

14. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

Thanks everyone for their rapid feedback.

I am using a Zoom 5352 router. My router is connected to my desktop. I open Google Chrome on my desktop and type in my local desktop IP in the address bar which gives me access to my router. Once logged in, I go to "advanced" and then sub menu "forwarding." This presents a table asking for External and Local IP address and port beginning and ending. Under the local IP I put in the number (192...) from my laptop (I am using my laptop to run the game; also, I've tried connecting to my router wirelessly from my laptop and am unable). For port beginning and for port ending I put 10101. For external IP I put the number (173...) I get using options in d20pro as well as have got from typing cmd in search bar then typing ipconfig in the command window. Use same port beginning and ending, 10101. For protocol I select both TCP and UDP. I then put enabled to 'on'.

I should add that before I set up the port forwarding, I was able to connect from the same computer using the default 127.0.0.1; however, when I entered my public IP (173..), I was unable to connect. Once I set up the port forwarding I was still able to connect on the same computer using 127.0.0.1; however, now when I enter the public IP# I am now able to also connect this way. However, when I enter the public IP# from a different computer in the house, I get the same error message that my friends get who are trying to connect remotely.

15. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

the only address that typically should go into the port forward rule on the modem/router is the local ip of the PC you wish to forward the port to (192.168.xxx.xxx).. You should not have to put in an external number there (according to manual it's optional), it would change too often for one thing..

here is the support site for the zoom http://www.zoomtel.com/techsupport/cable/5352.html

here is the manual http://www.zoomtel.com/documentation/cable/5352-UserManual-Eng.pdf

zoom2525.jpg

16. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

Ok. I went back and just entered the info for my local IP and ports; For external IP and ports just put the default 0s. I am now able to connect from another computer in my home using the local IP (192...). Will meet up with my friends tonight to see if they are able to connect remotely. Also for the router, I entered the local IP for my router, which is the same as the local IP for my computer minus the final number. All my computers in the home have the same local IP as the router with an additional number added on, different for each computer. So I am hoping that this setting will allow me to use any of the computers in my home without having to go back and reconfigure the router.

I'm a bit confused however. If I am sending out my External/Public IP# to players to join remotely why is the external IP# not necessary in the router configuration? Also, as I stated previously, when I had entered an external IP# to the port forwarding configuration previously and attempted to use the external IP# to log on as a player using the same computer I was able to log on. When I try this with the current router configuration of default 0s for external IP, I am no longer able to connect this way. This gives me doubts that my new configuration will work with remote players. Like I said, I will be meeting up with them again tonight. If they are unable to connect with this new configuration, I'll enter the External IP info and have them try again to test whether or not what was causing the problem before was that the local IP info was set to my computer rather than to my router for the port forwarding.

17. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

it isn't needed as it attains that number from the gateway perimeter of the router itself, as I mentioned that number will change frequently.. and hence why, the router just assigns it to the forward rule on the fly.. conversely, the local number to forward to is for a specific machine inside your lan and is generally static.

Also, as to your router only having 3 octets 192.168.xxx, this is not suggested as method of access.. your modem/router will have an assigned specific number.. most likely 192.168.(0 or 150).1.

You will still need to set ports for both the external and local to 10101, even if you leave the external IP to default 0.0.0.0

18. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

Thanks. I'll let you all know tonight if this works. you are correct, my modem IP# is 192.168.0.1. Thanks for the heads up on keeping the external ports as 10101 as well.

19. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

Got it to work tonight. thanks for all the help. have a couple of questions now regarding mechanics. How does a player's party move as a group in marching order? For some things, there was a bit of a lag time between my computer and those of my friends, does this have to do with internet speed, bandwidth, or is it the distance? Lastly, when I placed items on the map, the players were not able to see the spear icon; what could be causing that?

20. Mickey

Mickey Member

To move as a group, select all the player tokens then hold 'shift' + left mouse button and drag around as normal. Lag can be cause by a few things - any or all of what you're already mentioned, map size, a lot of light sources, number of tokens on the map, and so on. When you dragged the item onto the map, did you right-click on it and make it visible?