1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Invisible, Persistent Effects

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by ChrisRevocateur, Jan 5, 2013.

1. ChrisRevocateur

Invisible, persistent effects. Effects that are not listed in the "Active Effects" box, but are listed on the character somewhere (maybe a new tab? A subtab of the effects tab?). Persistent meaning that they are permanent effects to the creature. They are counted in the creatures statistics without having to be purposefully applied when the creature is taken out of the library and put on the map. This would allow for class and racial features, magic items, etc, being able to be applied to the character and making sure that all bonus types are applied correctly (as the d20Pro effects system already does this). It would also make sure that the rules are followed more correctly, because, as of now, for example, your total save bonus is treated as a flat bonus, rather than taking into account any bonus types that might apply from items or class or race features and such.

Google Moderator Link: http://www.google.com/moderator/#8/e=1b4092&q=1b4092.68d28b&v=4

2. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

I second this.

3. trundell

trundell New Member

I vote yes!

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

So, basically: Change the "items tab" to an "equipment tab"?

Active Items would have the following qualities:
    • Item Name (description only)
    • Item Slot (reference only)
    • Caster Level (to determine dispel success)
    • Spell Level (to determine dispel order)
    • Effect (add effect)
    • Equipped (on/off toggle)
    • Active (on/off toggle - only active when equipped is on)
    (where each quality can be sorted for easy reference)

I personally like the idea, though this would require re-writing/coding the way character sheets are done. Then if a rewrite is done you should think of other things you would like to see on both how the character sheet is displayed and used within d20Pro.

5. ChrisRevocateur

This is a major step, but I'm also referring to class or race features, or permanent spell effects. I don't just want items programmed in, I want stacking to work correctly throughout the system, including typed permanent bonuses from abilities and spells. I know most class ability bonuses are untyped, at least I can't think of any immediately, but racial skill bonuses are typed, for an example.

I guess I could just make class/race abilities into a piece of equipment, though that seems a little inelegant.

If you're gonna change it into an equipment tab though, some way of tracking items hardness/up would be cool, as well as ammo. Ammo is easy enough with the ability tab, but it could be better. I've tried tracking item HP with abilities like you've suggested though, and it's more cumbersome than paper.

I'm not a coder, but I thought that since it would just be effects (which the system is already there.for), just not putting them in active effects, and making the auto-apply when you bring it out onto the map, it wouldn't be that difficult.

6. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm not sold on the class or race features - that's what the base is for. Can you name any effect that temporarily alters class or race features? And, if so... are there any that don't stack or say "grants a racial ability for [fill in the blank] by +2 for [x] many rounds. this bonus does not stack, use the highest racial ability."

Equipment does have a lot of room for improvement.

What I do to make itemHP easier is simply modify the ability each time and put in the new value. I have each creature open in the Mini Window, then goto the Abilities Tab, and click on the "edit" icon and simply update the value. (click, number, ok, done). I am pretty quick at it, though you are right, it could be better. It would be nice if you could target equipment (such as shield, weapon, armor) in addition to normal targeting. This could open up additional game mechanics also where you could target the left leg, or right arm, and etc - each having their own amount of "HP".

7. ChrisRevocateur

You're misunderstanding what I'm asking for if you think I'm talking about things that temporarily alter class or race features (but spells can do that, at least in the case of racial features). I'm not just asking for magic items you can equip or unequip. I'm asking to have the ability to have permanent abilities that don't stack, and will be accounted for if an effect is also that bonus type. This is useful in cases such as spells made permanent with Permanency, or as I noted earlier, racial skill bonuses. I'm not gonna go through the ARG looking for every example of a typed bonus from race, or class.

That's the problem with the base character sheet, Armor is the only thing where bonus type is included in the base calculations, and though it might work for you, it doesn't for me.

Anyway, on another note, I remember one other major overhaul to the character sheet/creature system that I thought would be an amazing addition, since you've asked for any other changes that we might want to make with such a big overhaul to how characters work: Feat Scripting.

I know the capability is there, as Improved Initiative has it. I'm thinking something like:
    Will|3|Iron Will
    InitModifier|4|Improved Initiative
    Skill:perception|2|Skill:Sense Motive|2|Alertness
    InitModifier|2|Warrior of Old
    DodgeMod|1|Dodge

and so on and so forth. With this, we might even be able to bring back using the GoodSave and BadSave legacy from the Classes.txt files.