1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Is conditional invisibility possible?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ualaa, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Ualaa

Ualaa Member

I have two players who have the equivalent of see invisible, but out to a specific range (60 ft. for one and 210 ft. for the other).

Is it possible to have an invisible creature, that the rest of the party cannot see...
    While still allowing these two characters to see that creature, but only when within their radius.

So far, my best idea is to tether a pair of light sources to the invisible creature.
    The first is visible, but only to the 60 ft. ranged character.
    The second is visible, but only to the 210 ft. ranged character.

And then... manually toggle it each of these on and off, when the Invisible creature is within their sight bubble/radius.

Is there a better way to do that?

2. Mickey

Mickey Member

Hmmmm, while I don't know of a better way to do it, myself. Maybe an option for the token of something along the lines of "Visible to..." might be something the developers might consider.

It could be a drop down menu option with options of "all players", "player A", "player B", etc. Very similar to the "ownership" option. It would have to work alongside dynamic visibility though. So that if an invisible creature, that could be seen by player A, went round a corner then the token would still vanish because, obviously, even see invisible doesn't work when the creature is actually hidden behind something.

Tay-Dor and Ualaa like this.
  3. Ualaa

Ualaa Member

I tried to give visibility of a light to more than one character, but that is a no go.
    The option for "visible to"... with check boxes maybe, would be nice.

The multiple lights isn't really a good solution, since the invisible character is still invisible.

Just using the " V " hotkey to toggle between Visible, Invisible and Dynamic seems to be the best.
    The only time the visibility status is crucial, would be in combat.
    And since as the GM, I'm the only one that sees every creature in the correct initiative order (player's roster only includes things they can perceive), I can just toggle the invisible creature's visibility on, when it is the turn of someone who should be able to see them.

The hotkey V is a lot easier to quickly access, than opening Drawing tools and toggling a light from the list.
    Visible To, with options would be a nice addition.

4. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

I think this option is what most people do as well, it's the way I handle it.

5. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

the kind of invisibility you're describing isn't currently doable in the system due to UI limitations. The engine can handle it, but we need new UI to allow for "visible to" like properties to be managed.

This is on our feature wish list along with faerie fire and any other type of limited visibility type toggles.

In the meantime another option to handle this to use markers and the new (beta .20 and beyond) Marker Presets.

The GM can create an invisible creature preset which then the player will have the option of adding to the board.
    If the GM then sets this marker to Hidden, then only the player who owns the marker and the GM can see it.
    The GM can move this hidden marker along with the token manually until we get marker tethering set up -- once tethering for markers is live, you'll just be able to have that marker travel along with the token when it moves.

Below is an example of the GM and two players -- one player and the GM can see the two markers, while the Gm and one player can see the hidden one.

upload_2017-11-25_20-42-26.png

Zandu, Ualaa and Tay-Dor like this.