1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

is this idea do-able ? how would you approach it ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thierrsa, Sep 17, 2016.

1. thierrsa

thierrsa New Member

Hello everyone.

I'm playing a birthright/wh40k/kingmaker mix campaign with my friend, with heavily custom rules.

My aim is to create a worldmap, that I could send on a secondary screen ( a TV next to the table) that would be the "player view" or the world, and control the actions from my laptor.

So I have a world map, and I need to add fog of war covering each province, and as ruler of a province, you can "un-fog" nearby province by sending in scouts, spies to learn details about the province, pay an explorer so he report information about lairs, find a map showing nearby kingdom's delimitation etc ...

I've manage to add fog of war on my base worldmap, so it gives an idea of where those frontiers are.

(mind that I've download the program yesterday checking to see if it was possible before paying the full license, and I'm just starting to play around with it. )

but I'm having a hard time implementing the idea ...

first of all , my buildings and stuff arent all the same size. but when I try to add in a tile, it always "crunch" itself to a 24x24 size to fit into the grid. is there any way around this ?

2nd, I've seen one of the few tutorials about this program, but the 3 mintues official tutorial are more of a REALLY general intro, and arent helping me much. any other real tutorials around ? I havent find much on youtube in the 20 mintues I checked yesterday.

3rd, it seems the tiles I add ( through the paint image section of the draw panel ) are visible on the map, but they dont feel like they are being ADDED into the manage tile sections. I have "Map floor" ... and thats it. I cant see anything else in there, i'm start to loose patience about this ...

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

The wiki has a good deal of information and how things work Wiki: Draw Tools

Any chance you could show us a few screenshots of what you are describing?

3. thierrsa

thierrsa New Member

on that wiki, in the "manage tile" section ... he've add a couple of tile, and you see them listed in the bottom left of the draw panel.

for me, I only have 1 item in that list, even if I add more tiles on my map. its always "Map Floor" and I can only select this one, and not the tiles I just added on my map ... despite the fact they are visible.

4. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

That's very strange indeed, really like to see what you mean.. screenshots would be awesome.. or I'd be happy to take a look at a screenshare via skype if you like...

5. thierrsa

thierrsa New Member

[​IMG]

heres the image. you can see I added a town on the right, and a crater + a sword on the left ... and I cant touch or modified either of 'em, and they dont appear anywhere in the draw tools list.

I also cannot edit their size ... they always stick down to 24x24, which is the size of the grid I've set

#5 thierrsa, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  6. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

When you imported those, did you change the path? if not I believe the default is My Maps, so they should be in that My Maps subfolder there...

7. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Actually it looks like the default is "Imported", so they'll be in the Imported subfolder of /res/flr/

flrimageimport.jpg

8. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

9. thierrsa

thierrsa New Member

I dont mean the image on the top right, but the list on the bottom ( where you can click to eye to make 'em visible and such ).

i'm trying to hide some tiles for later use.

10. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Actually, looking closer... that sword looks like an 'Item' which would be managed via the Library->Items not as a Tile. are those other elements there done as Items as well?

which would explain why they are not in your list of elements/tiles out on the map...

11. Whirlingdervish

do you have a second instance of d20pro running so you can see what the player sees?

12. thierrsa

thierrsa New Member

the little sword, yes. the crater was added from the paint image of the draw tools

13. thierrsa

thierrsa New Member

@whirlingdervis, no, not yet. thats probably how I'll handle it, I'll put the 2nd instance on my TV, and the main one on my laptop.

14. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

aahh that is why they do not show as Tiles then.. If you used the Paint Images rather than Manage Tiles. They have been painted down with the Paint tool vs placed as a Tile.

Go to the Paint Colors, select the first Black box first row (this is the eraser).. removes those cells you painted, then go to Manage Tiles and place your tiles from there... You will then see them in the lower list and you can manipulate them as to size and rotation etc etc

15. thierrsa

thierrsa New Member

[​IMG]

i cant add them as tile. when I click on the map, the whole map turn yellow, as if I'm selecting it, despite the fact I'm trying to place the town (which is a 2x2 square)

16. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Hold the 'Ctrl' key + Click to force place on top of another tile...

17. Whirlingdervish

I think i understand the root of the problem .... get out of draw tools get into game tools menu where you can paintr or add a mask over an area to hide it from the players

18. thierrsa

thierrsa New Member

aaa, it worked ! thanks krillinon !

19. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

I understand it can be frustrating in the beginning. Have patience. The time spent figuring these things out is well worth it...

20. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Sure no problem, just took a few minutes to see figure out exactly what you were trying to do...