1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

its giving me a handshake message

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by outrider, Jul 19, 2010.

1. outrider

outrider New Member

hi

I just tried downloading your software for a trial run. It gives me a message about a handshake and has two different dates saying it took too long to respond.

outrider

2. Darius_nightshade

Darius_nightshade New Member

Unable to connect.
    Caused by: Failed to decode ClientIdentification
    Caused by: Handshake Request msg has expired. Handshake created at Jul 18, 2010 8:58:57 PM client time. The server's current time is: Jul 19, 2010 1:59:35 AM. Too much time has elapsed since the request was created. Please make sure your clock is set to the proper time.

giving me this

3. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

Is it possible that the time on your computer is set incorrectly?

4. Glav

Glav New Member

Darius_nightshade,

I just sent you a PM with some more questions. Hopefully, we can get this figured out.

--Glav

5. Glav

Glav New Member

In case the below actually ends up helping, I'm posting this here for others to try if they encounter a similar error.

There is a known issue with Java on Windows XP where Java misreads the System's timezone. More details below, but in short, there is a bug in the Java implementation from Sun. The Java API is not able to translate all possible Windows XP registry timezone patterns to equivalent timezone representations, which leads to problems. It's a weird issue that happens on a select percentage of machines out there.

The supposed fix, as lame as it seems, is to do the following:

1) Change your System timezone to something else. Any random change will do. Apply the changes.
    2) Change your System timezone back to the correct timezone. Apply the changes.

This should set the timezone in the Windows registry so that Java will correctly read it. After doing that, the next time you run d20Pro, everything should work.

For details on this, see the following article:

http://techtavern.wordpress.com/2010/04 ... indows-xp/

This may or may not be a fix for this problem, but it seems a likely solution.

--Glav