1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Laggy even without lights

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by Tay-Dor, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

We're experiencing sluggishness even without using any of the shadow casting features. It starts out fine and slowly gets laggier and laggier. Each time the GM accepts the results of an attack, the program pauses and puts up the message that its pushing an update to the players. It got to one point where After submitting a core dice role, the sound of the dice rolling played after a couple seconds and the results displayed about 6-10seconds later.

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

With no lights, the type of lag you are describing, I'd take a look at the GMs net connection.. I suspect you'll find the packet loss there...

3. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Tay-Dor. If you're seeing this kind of lag consistently, can you share your campaign folder with us?

4. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

I hesitate to share my campaign folder given that I have about 5 gigs of tiles and images for map-making. My current game has 8 characters with lights and one pet with a light. I get quite a bit of lag on my end when running a game when tokens move. When I apply damage to a creature, the "rebroadcasting" message flashes briefly before showing the damage on the token. I didn't see this sort of stuff prior to 3.6.6.

Let me know what files you would want to see.

temple.png

5. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

If you export a map with the majority of the issues that would work too. You do not need to post the file here. you can either message me directly or email me. Mainly I need to run the map through some debug to see where the lag spikes are coming from. Network can always be a factor, but there might also be something else at work.

That being said, yes, using lights is more intensive than the older setup without them. Light can and will get another optimization pass, we're just focused else where first due to over all plan needs -- i.e. licensed content and expanded system support.

I know that this additional stuff isn't directly relevant to everyone, however, to keep the system going we need fresh blood!

6. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

Yup, I know you guys are working on it and I'll send you the map.

7. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

When you say that you wasn't using lights did you simply not have any or were they there and just turned off?

Just tonight I added a lot of lights to a map for effects, planning on keeping them off when not needed, and I ended up getting a lag so bad from GM to player (testing) that I had to restart my laptop. This was with the lights off. The GM moved slower and slower as I activated them and sped back up as I deactivated them but the broadcasts took longer and longer no matter if they were on or off. It got so bad that the map for the player wouldn't zoom in or out and the player account wouldn't even close. The GM account closed fine after disabling the lights but I had to shut down the laptop to close out the player account, even after the GM account was closed.

8. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

There are many factors that could cause what you are describing, the PCs involved, the net connection between them, the number of nodes/masks/walls, map size (both physical and complexity), the number of tokens on the board, the number of lights involved.

could you please send a copy of the d20pro.log file in your install directory?

9. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

In one case, I wasn't the GM. No masks or walls were used. One light was used briefly. Both GM and players suffered a lot of lag. Hard to believe a net connection would affect the GM as well.

As for my case, I sent one my maps to Owlbear.

10. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

I'm getting ready to send my log to them but I don't use a network. During set up and at game time I run from my laptop only. I log in as the GM and then log in again as the player and use duel screens. Where we game there is no Internet so no network.

11. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

It could effect the GM, if the host machine is waiting on clients to update data. ie an old school 'clear to send <-> clear to receive' situation.

12. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

so, yeah that would rule out a network issue in your case. But the logs will tell us a lot...

13. Whirlingdervish

... How much memory do you have allocated and how much is d20pro using ? which version of d20pro are you using? a standard release or beta version... 32 or 64 bit? what are your system specs? any and all of these many be factors not just network speed.

Bloodwolf likes this.
  14. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

I've allocated as much memory as possible to D20. I was using the beta and now I'm using the newest release, 3.6.6.5 I think. My laptop is 64 bit. As for my system specs, OLD, I think I got it in 2009. And it is an HP from a college special so not the best even then.

15. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

OMG...such a difference 3.6.8 makes! Awesome job guys. It is soooo much better than it was!

16. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

No problem! I know there's still plenty of room for improvement. For the time being, however, this should keep us afloat until we can circle back around.

17. sircomac

sircomac Member

I am having extremly poor performance after going from 3.6.9 to 3.6.11. My quad core has been more than up to the task before but now every action is taking a VERY long time to update. Just moving a character is 6-10 seconds. Ping is good with no packlet loss at least on my connection. Same maps , same people etc as before the patch. Any ideas. Is there something new I should turn off?

18. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

how much ram do you have allocated to D20PRO and how much on your system?
    perhaps a screen shot of your system resource panel with everything running (voip, pdfs, browser, d20pro etc)?

19. sircomac

sircomac Member

1.5 G which is the same as with 3.6.9. The point is things are the same from last week to this and now every action is crawling. I even tried with no clients connected. Still like a 1 to 2 second delay. Nothing else running. I have a nvidia 650 4gb ram quad core with vista 64 bit os. I do have a new antivirus..norton but put d20 pro to be allowed to pass data.
    AS A UPdate. i turned off norton....still no difference

Attached Files:

20. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

it could possible be something with that card and OpenGL. I'll see if I can find the switch to disable OpenGL.