1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Map Image Thumbnail Previews.

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by cyderak, Dec 13, 2010.

1. cyderak

cyderak Member

Hey guys,

I think a cool D20Pro Feature would be to have the Map tab of the resource library open up a tab with Thumbnail image previews of the map your looking for so you don't have to guess which map image is the one you want.

I think the Resource Library Window should:
    ----Default appear on the left side of the screen
    ----The heighth of the screen
    ----3" wide
    ----With the ability to be toggled to the top, bottom, or right side of the screen if you need it to be out of your way.

With the Library window stretched the heighth of the screen it gives you a better look at more images so you can comparitively choose the right one for the adventure your running. This would especially work in the DM's favor if he or she was running an "On the fly" adventure.

The map image could be the same size as a "Large" sized Thumbnail image with a description of the map below the thumbnail image. The "Large" sized Thumbnail image gives a good preview of what the size and detail of the map your choosing will be.

Another cool idea would be to design different skins for each Resource Library tab. One Marble.......one worn stone......one wood.....one worn scroll.

I know it seems like I am asking for alot but I figure if your asking for features, might as well go all or nothing and the D20Pro guys can pick and choose which ideas they think are usable and which ones are possible.

Later.

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

I would like to see a thumbnail image of the Maps on the Library like there is in the Creature and Item Library items. Especially for on-the-fly adventures as Cyderak states. It's a little frustrating trying to find the right map by loading each similarly styled text description then once the map loads on the Judges' screen, some players receive an auto-broadcast of that new map before it's ready for use by the Judge. To combat against this, I normally load two Judge's sessions (each using a different port number for it to work), and on the second session (where no players are logged in) search for the map I want to use before I broadcast it out to the players using the main session.

Regarding a default position of the windows would be discouraging for me. I use one and a half monitors to display d20Pro.. My left monitor (1/3) displays the game map and roster only. My middle monitor (2/3) displays all the other floating windows so I can quickly modify any game aspect at a relatively quick speed; along with any campaign reference materials on the second half of the display. My right monitor (3/3) displays my skype communication with each player (to exchange files, or private communication - representing the "old style" passing notes system), and the group conversation window (to send files to everyone - I use skype attachments for everything other than PDF handouts in game, since it's much easier for people to zoom in/out and pan the images) and other online resources like email, internet browser, etc (while the group is plotting what to do, or taking their time planning a strategy :p ).

I would go along with being able to "pin" any floating window to a specific area of the d20Pro active screen, so the floating window remains immobile in the "pined" state, which is saved as a preference so the size and location is preserved from one session to another. Perhaps if a once floating window becomes "pined" then it will no longer have any transparency qualities.

3. cyderak

cyderak Member

Is this looking like its going to be a future feature?

Really need thumbnails to look at. Adds time to trying to find a map that works.

4. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

All of the floating windows need to be more flexible. If part of that is adding the option to make one or all of them "dockable" that would be cool, as long as we could also undock them and move them to a second monitor like Curtis mentioned. I also would love to make the various sections within the windows resizable. Like with maps and items, I can only see like four files/folders at a time, which makes navigating a pain in the neck. It's a similar story with almost every window in the game. A lot of windows or portions of windows are either too small or too big, and I'd like to be able to resize them.

5. cyderak

cyderak Member

I think the Monsters, Maps, Items, and Handouts buttons should have their own buttons in the main menu.

Because some directories, like Maps and Mosters, are used way more than others.

Then have a Large sized window open for Maps. Also able to be re-sized. Extra-Large Thumbnail previews.

A medium sized window open for Monsters, Items, and Handouts. Large Thumbnail previews.

6. Dan

Dan Member

Noted. Thumbs will be part of our revamped library system.

7. cyderak

cyderak Member

E.T.A. on the new D20Pro version?.........Ballpark, I won't hold you to it.

8. ogexam

ogexam Member

ballpark? Ok I can give you that easily 2011
    hahahaha

9. cyderak

cyderak Member

Thanks for narrowing it down........... :?

10. ogexam

ogexam Member

You are very welcome!

11. cyderak

cyderak Member

O.K. heres a middle ground........Just release a 2.3.5 with bigger thumbails......

Nice right. ......... I've always been real diplomatic. :D

12. cyderak

cyderak Member

Any updates on the subject?