1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Map switching problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dragonmaster13, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Dragonmaster13

One of our members just moved to a new town so he bought d20Pro. We got it set before he left and it was working fine. This last Sunday we played our first game with him in his new town and the other 5 players at the table. He logged on fine got the first map and all the character tokens showed up. We finished the encounter which was a chase across rooftops with now problem. They decided to go into a tavern and check things out. As soon as I switched the maps he got nothing. We both tried the garbage cleanup, didn't help, tried to rebroadcast to him, nothing. We both stopped the program and restarted, again nothing. He even rebooted his computer and still the same.

All he is getting is a gray or black screen with an hourglass in the upper right corner and I have the hourglass in the same place and beside his name in the game log.

We are both running Windows 7 with 8 GB of memory with 1 GB allocated to Java.

Thanks for the help in advance.

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

1- Did you use a file or the clipboard to create the map?
    2- What is the map file size?
    3- If you open a player instance of d20Pro and connect to your own game, does it load the map for you?

Note: the gray and black screen indicates the map is still downloading. If a player disconnects while a map is being sent to them and tries to reconnect there is a chance that map will turn all black meaning that the player's computer thinks the map is already loaded and does not tell the host's computer that it needs the map upon refresh.

To fix the first, create a smaller file size for the map using image compression when saving. Then use the import map from file. Using the clipboard for big maps or high detail maps will create huge file sizes - I've seen up to 80MB map files when I've created maps in this fashion, even if the original image file was less than 5MB.

To fix the second, you can have the player delete all cached files from their player directory and login again. Or simply have them choose another login name. Then when they login their computer says they need a copy of the map.

3. Dragonmaster13

I used file for creating the map.
    Map size is 989 kb.
    I always have a player setup at the table for the onsite players to see and the map shows up there all the time.

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

That's an interesting issue.

If you have your remote player delete all the data files inside the following directory and load d20Pro again, see if that fixes the issue.
    \MindGene\d20Pro\player\campaigns\

OR

You can have your remote player login using a different alias name.

Both options will download a fresh copy of the map from the the host computer, which should fix the issue.

If you both have 1GB of RAM allocated to Java, a few maps loaded shouldn't reach the upper memory limit. However, when the upper memory limit has been reached d20Pro will no longer display new maps... which then would be a good time to use the GC option. Let us know if one of these solutions solve the issue you are posting about.