1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Maps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Greymyst, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Greymyst

Greymyst New Member

When I import a map, I can alter the size of the grid. Can I alter the size of the map? The maps I am importing already have grid lines on them. I'm getting headaches trying to match d20pro's lines with the map lines. If I could make the map larger, then it would be easier on my eyes. I tried altering the jpg to be a different size, but d20pro seems to make it a set size no matter what size the original is.

Thanks,
    Farris

2. Yaourth

Yaourth New Member

Hi Greymist

do you try to move the map under the d20pro grid (with right click) ? With this, it's easy to match the grid : move the map to sync on a vertical (for example, but it works with horizontal too) line, increase or decrease the grid size to define the size of the map's squares and, at last, adjust to have all your map covered by the grid.
    Sometimes, you need to adjust at the pixel but if your map have regular squares, you shoudn't have problem to match it with the grid.

3. Lord Elderon

Lord Elderon New Member

Hi guys,

Thanks Yaruth for the explanation. Sometimes you will notice an empty row / column due to the size of the map upon upload to d20Pro when the final grid size is left. Get the grid as close to the existing one (in size of boxes) as possible then grab the jpeg (right click) and move to desire location. You can then slightly adjust the grid to fit better.

You can re-size it before you put it into d20pro, but you will want to remember the size so you can create the exact size within d20Pro and the grid lines. You may have to do some math to get it perfect when doing it this way.

If you have any issues, please contact me and we can figure out a time to meet up online and I can show you in more detail.

Best regards and happy gaming,

Nick

4. Dan

Dan Member

Sometimes there are maps that are not scaled or sized well and don't follow an exact pixel/square ratio (it might be 15.6 pixels per square, where 15 is too small and 16 is too big). Other times, maps aren't printed or scanned to have truly square grids and that's a problem.

In that case, you should use something like Photoshop, GIMP, or paint.net to manually resize and resample the image. GIMP is free, and so is Paint.net.

If you want, I can quickly re-sample your map to more friendly dimensions. In the future, the d20pro community can possibly pitch in to help folks with graphical assistance. Perhaps we could even have a "Pimp My Map thread!"

Attach the map you are trying to resize and I'll see what I can do.

5. Greymyst

Greymyst New Member

Not at all concerned about moving or resizing the grid. I can do that easy enough. I want to resize the map. It imports too small for me to effectively match the grid. I have bought the map up in picture editor and resized it (up to 500%). It shows that it is now 5 times bigger by the pixel ratio, but is still the same size when I import it.

Here's a map. It is from the new Paizo adventure path, Kingmaker. I have loaded all the maps and have the same problem for all.

Thanks,
    Farris

Attached Files:

6. Dan

Dan Member

That's an incredibly small map for the dimensions. How did you acquire it? If you scanned it, try a higher resolution. If you got it from a PDF, you could rip the images from the PDF if you have a full version of Acrobat. I can help you if you email me. I'm rivera.ga at gmail _ dot _ com.

Either way, I resized the map in Photoshop so that the grid is 16 pixels per square. Go into d20pro, create a new map from the PNG and set the grid spacing to 16 pixels and it should work. It WILL be fuzzy because you have such a small image. I used PNG so that there would be no image quality loss.

PS> the reason you have the issue with the maps appearing too small is that they are about 400x500 pixel resolution. Once you get them imported, you can zoom all you want, but it will be fuzzy.

7. Remaker

Remaker Member

I've been having similar issues. I have yet to find a map that neatly fits the grid lines in D20Pro. Every map that I haven't drawn by hand always comes horribly snaggle-toothed. I've experimented with rescaling the original image, but I have no idea how you people are measuring how many pixels there are in a square down to the decimal point. If I knew how to do that, it wouldn't be hard to calculate the ideal size for the map.

I attached the map in question, if it helps.

Attached Files:

8. rclarke250

rclarke250 New Member

I actually followed a video guide from Xorne, for the fantasy grounds II vtt, but the principle is the same, and you can use gimp it's a free editor.

9. Dan

Dan Member

Here's the new and improved Malachite map. It's 29x39 squares in dimension, and 43 pixels per square.

My advice for best importing:
    • Place this image in your FLR library (a folder or subfolder within d20pro\dm\res\FLR)
    • Start d20pro and go to the Map Library
    • Click Create and choose RAW MAP
    • Set the dimensions to 29x39
    • Open your Draw Tools and choose the Manage Tiles tool
    • Navigate to the map and click the Fill button

10. Remaker

Remaker Member

Hey thanks!

I actually wanted each square to be an even number of pixels so that I could fit 4 grid squares into each map square (the map scale is 10 feet per square and we play on the standard 5 foot grid), but by studying this map as an example, I figured out how to make the adjustments. Fits just fine now!

11. Dan

Dan Member

Yeah you should just be able to make a 48x78 map and Fill it using the Manage Tiles tool.

12. KainPen

KainPen Member

just wondering if any one has all the maps from king of trollhaunt warrens 4th ed DD adventure. I scanned the adventure into adobe and edit it to fit my 2.0 rule set needs a while ago. but all my scans of the maps the grids will not line up correctly. Was wondering if any one had them already made and fited to grid before I. Go remake them in Dunjini or with the map tool in d20 pro.

13. Lord Elderon

Lord Elderon New Member

Hi KainPan,

You may want to post in user created content too.

Best,

Nick

14. neofax

neofax New Member

Go to this site and use the Excel program provided to determine how large the map dimensions should be based off of the grid square you want. i.e. I use 50px Once you determine this, open the jpg in GIMP and resize with the new dimensions. Configure the grid and mess with horizontal size and vertical size to line up the squares as close as possible. If you have a jpg that doesn't quite work, send it to me and I can try to fix it. To the OP, I have all of the first Kingmaker maps done if you want, I can send them along (just need to prove you own Kingmaker due to copyright restrictions).

15. tintagel

tintagel Member

I'm willing to do some resizing. Just email them to me at [​IMG]

16. KainPen

KainPen Member

hey can any one re-size some maps for me I really busy converting monsters to 2.0 D&D rules and more. i have don't have time to redraw the maps in dunjini and every time i try to use one of the maps i can't get the map grid to line up. any help would be most helpful.

17. Dan

Dan Member

Just attach the map to your post, or email them to me at the address above.

18. KainPen

KainPen Member

here 2 of them to start i am. the some of the others are distorting after pull them out of pdf. i can get these 2 to work it will cut my time down by a ton. if not i am going to have to do each room =(

Attached Files:

19. Dan

Dan Member

Ok, I resized them a bit in Photoshop and brought them to 17dpi and 12dpi respectively. The problem with maps like these is that they are not exactly X.0 pixels per square. These were about 16.5 pixels per square and 11.3 pixels per square, so I had to stretch them a bit. Also, some aren't exactly square.

Either way, I got them to a clean ratio, put them into a Trollhaunt folder, and made d20pro maps with them. The files below are .d20pro format. Download them (you may need to right-click and save target or link as...), then go into d20pro and open your Maps library. Then simply click the Import button and select them. They will automatically import to your library and create a Trollhaunt folder in your d20pro\dm\res\FLR folder with the images there.

Please keep in mind that they are a whopping 89x128 squares (cauldron) and 132x85 squares (warrens), and the files were not that high resolution, so they do get fuzzy when you zoom in. I hope these are acceptable, and happy gaming!

Next Customer? :D

20. KainPen

KainPen Member

Thanks a ton. i give it a test and see how it work. it should give my guys a massive exploration feel =). I wish wizard would put out hi res maps. Guess they don't want us using. VT other then the one they never made. =)

Yeah that's perfect. I know this is not a Dundjinni web site but do you guys know where i can get a much of textures and stuff for it. Next adventure his going to me old Dragon Mnt box set and old 2.0 maps have detail or color lol. so going to have to remake them in that. will upload them after i am done.