1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Massive rework of the spells and effects user interface

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by firebringer, Nov 6, 2011.

1. firebringer

firebringer Member

The menus and interface for adding spells and effects to tokens needs to be, in my opinion, reworked from almost the ground up. Certainly it would be nice if the program looked at your statistics and adjusted things like durations to a common default value, but which was still editable on the fly in case the caster has some special ability that changes the spell from its default value.

Spell durations is just one example. Damage would be another....a tenth level sorcerer that casts fireball should have the effect be an editable 10d6 of fire damage with a duration of instantaneous, and should result in a 20' burst overlay that the caster could drop onto the desired location. These are just a couple of examples.

Basically, out of the box, d20Pro should to be streamlined to be more tied to what a spell actually does instead of requiring the users to create the effect ourselves.

At least support the core d20 SRD spells out of the box. Hopefully someone will add the rest of the spells from the various Paizo Pathfinder sources to the marketplace, but the core tools inside of d20Pro still need to changed to allow other developers to create these sorts of extensions.

Firebringer

kimco likes this.
  2. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

firebringer, we all agree with you on most all of your post and this is something we are actively working towards.

3. ChrisRevocateur

This has been requested by almost every person that posts feature requests on here, including myself.

4. firebringer

firebringer Member

This gives me great hope for the future. Godspeed and good luck on this feature, Daggeth.

Firebringer

5. Remaker

Remaker Member

This is the single most requested feature in my playing group. At the very least, let us save duration, DC, and templates to the spell effect library. But yeah, dynamic calculation is the way to go.

6. scienceboyroy

scienceboyroy New Member

This makes me happy. :D <-- See?

7. Tharck

Tharck New Member

Meanwhile, three full versions later...
    -PCs still cant edit their character sheets.
    -FoW is still not interactive.
    -Spell Tab is still close to meaningless.

8. Vision9000

Vision9000 Member

"At the very least, let us save duration, DC, and templates to the spell effect library. But yeah, dynamic calculation is the way to go."

As an interim measure, I've been setting up spells as abilities, with defined/saved DC's, effects, etc. I also like to put common or level/creature specific effects as descriptive text in brackets to the side of the spell name: things like 'no save', 'range 150' ', personal, or when I can't set an effect, like '+2 to attribute and skill checks'.

Examples:

In Abilities, Per Day (the label Wiz 3 causes the spells to effectively sort by class, level, then alphabetically)

------------------------------

Wiz 3: Fireball [range 680'; 20' radius spread]

The effect line is:

7d6 fire; DC 16 Ref half

Wiz 3: Haste [40' range; 7 creatures; +30 move]

The move only is listed as a label effect, because the other effects, including duration, are part of the calculated effects.

to hit +1; AC (dodge) +1; Ref +1; 7 rounds

Such needs to be modified due to changes to attributes, feats or other reasons why a DC might change--including leveling--but in the meantime works consistently from casting to casting.

Each needs to be defined for any PC's, NPC's, monsters, etc...so it takes work, but the result is quick casting and resolution with correct DC's and leveled damage, etc.

kimco likes this.
  9. Remaker

Remaker Member

Yeah, I know about this workaround, but it is a really clunky way to simulate a spell list. What's frustrating is the the abilities tab contains the much of the basic functionality, but that same functionality isn't in the spell tab. It was a weird decision to let abilities save effects, DC, and duration, but to only let spells save effects. It's even weirder that it's stayed this way through multiple revisions. We've been an inch away from a usable spell tab from years, but that final step never gets taken.

10. Mandos

Mandos New Member

This would also be very high up on my list of things to see improved. It is a clunky, really hard to use system (I'm pre-creating custom abilities as well). I don't know exactly how to best re-design this, but certainly something that minimized the amount of work we had to repeat would be great, particularly if we had scaling by level, so you only had to monkey with the spell one time, would be awesome.

11. Montis

Montis New Member

I would suggest a addendum to the spells.txt file which could then be read by d20Pro, similar to the ability-effects.

example:

Code:
    Cure Serious Wounds[conjuration, healing]|Heal 3d8+CL[max15]|Radiant 3d8+CL[max15]; Will half
    Fireball[evocation, fire]|Fire CL[max10]d6; Ref half
    Haste[transmutation]|to hit +1; AC (dodge) +1; Ref +1; CL rounds; Desc "Character gets an extra attack with a full round action, improves speed by 30', up to double."

In the CSW example the caster has to select at the point of casting which variant he wants to use.
    The save DC should be automatically calculated through casterstats, spell level (which is defined in the classes.txt) and feats (spell focus). Of course the latter would need an addendum, as well as the caster level thing.

12. AEIOU

AEIOU Member

I'm glad to see this thread resurrected. It's my #1 priority item.

13. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Same here. PLEASE.

You guys should make sure you visit the Google Moderator site and vote for this change request.