1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Migrate to new Computer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BenMitchell1979, Mar 12, 2017.

1. BenMitchell1979

BenMitchell1979 New Member

I'm in the process of migrating to a new computer and when I copy my Campaign folder to the new system - I get an error message saying the Campaign did not shut down properly and when I open it - none of my Library Items appeared to carry over.

Regards,
    Ben Mitchell

2. KainPen

KainPen Member

I never had that happen, what I do is install the same version, that I had on old computer, then copy the whole d20pro folder from program files over to new system and do an over write of existing file. This copy everything over to new system. I do this pretty regular even between games. Because I do my content building on my desk top on, then copy it over to my intel Nuc that I host the game from that is in my kitchen that is attached to my table. Also copy it to the laptop my players run the player side from, just so I have 3 copies in case something goes wrong with any update. After game session I copy it back to my desktop. So i can go back to content building. I would go back to your old system, open d20 pro, save all your current maps close program and try to recopy.

3. BenMitchell1979

I've done the full copy of D20Pro before and that does appear to work. The reason I'm trying to avoid that is because I want multiple version's of D20 to share my campaign and library. By having those files in a 'central' spot - it'll be easier to upgrade versions for testing and have a single script that backs those files up to an Azure Storage Blob (this will give me remote access and DR so I can quickly recover if something goes wrong on the instance).

I'm setting up D20pro in Microsoft RDSH (2016) in Azure for hosting my game from (4core/28g ram instance and 10GB Internet connection from MSFT Datacenter). The thought was that the players could then just launch D20Pro via RDS remotely via any tech they want (ie Laptop or Tablet). Which so far has worked great for my players using iPAD's and Android Tablets. Since we are launching D20pro from the same resource - we get the speed benefits of it being on the same host (map updates\refreshes).
    RDS-Sample.JPG

I configured my folder structure as below and then created the 'campaign.override' file to point back to my 'Campaigns' folder. And that does appear to work - since my campaigns are loaded regardless of which D20pro version I launch. It's just none of my Library contents appear to come over in the copy.
    D20-folders.JPG

4. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

if you mean your marketplace content... that's going to live in the judge and res areas of the app.

I'll admit, that we've looked at cloud hosting the application before and i've had fairly good success using Splashtops VM's. You'll want to put the campaigns folder into the games heirarchy under your judge folder. Remember content is locked to the license. so keep the license file secure... as we bring official Paizo and other properties online, this will need to become a much more "enforced" policy.

Still, VM app sharing isn't something we're unaware of and is built into the model thus far -- my "warning" is mostly a legality on our side.

Let me know how it goes and I can help you get this sorted. I haven't worked with Azure in this way, but I've worked with just about every other type of VM pre-azure.

5. BenMitchell1979

For the most part this is all stuff that I created myself for my Campaign and imported into D20pro. I would love to use the marketplace content (currently running through Rise of the Runelords). Maps I tend to you use D20pro's import tool and Creatures I export from HeroLabs. The hope was that I would be able to share a single campaign folder for all my D20pro installs - but I'm taking from your comment that is either not really an option or not recommended.

Even when I put the campaign folder under the Judge folder - my content does not show up.

The perk of using RemoteApp (via RDS) is it works alot like Citrix (Citrix uses the same underlying MSFT technology) and users only get the App presented to them using a fairly efficient RDP client (handles WAN very well with a little tuning and optimization). The users never have access to the backend server and as such no access to the files on it. To avoid them seeing "GM" D20pro - I installed it to c:\mesamundi\d20pro\ path and published that one only to myself. I then incorporated my License to that install (GM + 10 Seats). For the players I installed a base version in c:\public\mesamundi\ that does not have any license file associated with it.

This was originally running as a VMWare VM on my home network - but when we play remote - my internet connection was a limiting factor. This is why I ended up with it in Azure.

6. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

I gotcha. Yeah, right now the Campaign folder contains a specific campaign. The core reason why a shared "resources" system is difficult for D20PRO is the fact that customization between sessions or campaigns is pretty common.

that being said, you can "export" your content from the libraries into bundles which you store in a shared space, then re-import those resources when you want/need them.

There is plans to add true share between campaigns through a library system, but for now, it's not as easy as we'd like.

As to your reasons for all of this. Makes perfect sense and looks like a solid build plan :) I love the remote via touch devices -- this is actually why we offered the "touch" ui mods as slight as they are. Thraxxis added those for me when I was running D20PRO in SplashTop VM land :)

7. BenMitchell1979

Thanks Owlbear. For now I guess I'll continue to copy the entire D20Pro folder over to make sure all my content moves.

As always keep up the excellent work!