1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Miscellaneous small features

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Nezzeraj, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Nezzeraj

Nezzeraj Member

Hey everyone, just a list of small features I think would improve the quality of life for the game. Feel free to tell me if some of these features are in the game and I just overlooked them!

1. Preventing players from seeing NPC abilities in the game log. Dice rolls and health are appropriately hidden, but when an NPC casts an ability, the text of the spell shows up in the game log when cast.
    2. Group dragging. Moving tokens from one map to another is tedious when you have to do it individually.
    3. Allow players to see when NPCs die. I like how they are unable to see the NPCs' health, but when they drop it would make sense the PCs should be able to see that.
    4. Critical miss feature. I know this is more of a house rule, but it seems easy to make a critical miss button.
    5. Diced DOT damage and spell duration. Spontaneous Immolation deals 1d6 fire damage on a failed save. DOTs only allow static damage. Also many spells and effects last 1dx rounds/minutes and it would be awesome if we can apply that more accurately.
    6. Negative/positive energy types are missing from damage types. I know healing is the same as positive energy and seems more intuitive, but not as accurate. Channeling negative energy isn't possible and I must select a different energy type.
    7. Greater synergy between library tokens and map tokens. For example, if I level up a character in the library, I have to replace it's token on the map which isn't a huge deal. But updating the token and then having the library update seems impossible. So if a PC picks up some items I had dropped after a killed NPC, the map token has that item in his inventory but the library token does not. It seems there is a disconnect and I hope for sometime of auto-update when a change is made to one it affects the other.

That's all I have so far just from playing a few sessions. Love the software though!

2. KainPen

KainPen Member

here a few temporary fixs

1. you can't stop stuff from popping up in the log, but can rename the ability to something else so the pc are not sure what the npc is actual doing. I really would not even worry about it, the effect of the spell is going to happen weather pcs like it or not. you can also make them have to make a spell craft check before they try to dispel what happen to them or notice its effect.

2. just drag select option with mouse, or ctrl and click each one, then to move them all hold down shit and just drag them around the map. you can do the same to move to new map, select all of them right click and use the move to map option. you can also click on the character in the roster and drag and drop them to where you want them.

3. Turn the see health option back on, but change the npcs health to read current hp = total hp and max hp to equal 1. you then have to manual add hp back though. when healing happens.

4. just add a effect to every character what ever your critical miss effect rules you may use to them and apply when you see a 1 rolled.

5. I apply the average dice roll, as static number to these effects for now same with poison and disease, I set up 3 ability for these poison example Initial save with duration, pass save does nothing happens failed = duration. since most poison are over 6 rounds, have one setup as "Poison damage round 1,3,5" with that average number of damage per round, on a 1d6 is 3.5 so it is setup as 3 damage duration is forever. then another for rounds 2,4,6 and is = to average number rolled +1 to make up for the .5 missing from round 1 ect. Save is located on each round to negate ect. I force fail the round save if they failed the initial save. I do this for both pc and npc so it is fair. you can do the same for damge over time , just apply average number every round. As long as you do it to both npc and pc it is fair. After all this how monsters and npc get average number.

6. use radiant and necrotic in its place does the same thing.(I think that was the 4th edition version of them)

7.This will help you out, at the end of the game night save your current map, then right click each character and go to location and click save creature, It will add it to the library with a number behind the name. you can delete the old one and remove the number, or just level them in there to reference older version of the character. just level them up in the map will save you a ton of time. I don't even bother updating pcs in the library saving the map keep them saved. I will after the end of each chapter in an adventure re-save them to the library. The only thing the library is really good for is to pull up quick creatures or npc for dm for random encounter. Pre-make your maps place creatures on it and save the map. next time you load the map all the creatures will be there. Then the only thing you are having to move around and edit are the pcs on the maps. Spell effects also save with the creatures on the maps. but be aware for temp hp, it is currently bugged and will keep adding to the creatures hp every round or every time you click on them for some reason. So to by bass this I just add the extra hp over creatures max hp.

I don't even use the inventory system, picking up and dropping items take way to much time. Honest I keep track of there potions and wands ect, in the ability system, I set up potion and expendables as charges. I have one PC in charge of group treasure, and I have them email day after the game to update who took what from the game night then update there characters on the map by adding it. It speeds up the game greatly and keep them honest.

The ability/spell system and inventory is supposed to be getting an overhaul not sure what ones we will see in update 3.4. but it should be coming soon. so you will see some of these change implement at some point lot of people have requested them before.

3. Nezzeraj

Nezzeraj Member

Awesome, thank you for taking the time to reply! A lot of your suggestions have helped a great deal.

As for radiant and necrotic damage, I was looking for something that works in the mechanics, where positive heals living creatures while damaging undead, which doesn't seem possible. The reason this came up is many undead creatures are affected differently by positive energy. It would be cool if the game could at least make a distinction where healing hurts them so I can at least just make one channel ability to heal or do damage and not two separate ones. Also, is there a way to improve saves for a specific type? Like ghouls have channel resistance but I don't see a way to add an effect to boost saves but only against radiant damage. Because that would also be a handy feature.

An I know the item system is getting reworked and I can't wait. Adding magic items with charges is a great idea and I will definitely do that. But I like having characters be able to see the gear they are carrying quite easily and it makes encumbrance easier to track (my players are massive hoarders). It also gives them a sense of immersion to see what they are carrying and feels more rewarding when they acquire new stuff. I've even spent massive amounts of time creating icons pulled from WoW for every item in the default library, plus some of the ones I've manually added lol. It makes it much easier when they defeat a character to just drop their inventory on the ground and let the players divide up the loot there and add it to their characters. It saves me from reading a laundry list of gear and having a massive nebulous "group treasure" nightmare to deal with. I definitely agree dropping items takes too long though and a "drop all" feature would be fantastic to make it much quicker.

4. KainPen

KainPen Member

for undead and positive energy. most common time I see it used that take a bit of time to reconfigure is channel. Here the catch most people make this mistake, you can not channel and heal party and hurt undead at the same time, it is either one or the other, d20 pro handles this well. by making you to go in and change ability or have multiple entries. This is what I do for channel Set up an ability that says channel and it has so many uses a day. I don't even have an effect on it. I just use it to keep track of uses per day. Then I have two ability setup as at will Channel healing, and channel damage. So I make my players use there use per day I confirm then they pick if they are going to do damage or heal.

I do know what you are talking about wishing positive energy would do more damage but there is also strange instance where it may be even more damage see pillar of light spell I was setting this up in my system yesterday while typing my reply to you it has 3 different effects healing, damage vs undead and damage vs. undead weak vs light, (like vampire it does more damage.) and it duration that need to be keep track of. I store all these effects options in the effects data base. Usually titled the name of the spell level and small effect description like heal, vs undead, vs light ect. So this is what I am going to do when my cleric in the group cast it this spell, I load up the duration of the spell place that on the cleric. make them put down the template on the map. Then when a creature touches the pillar to heal or take damage. I press X on keyboard this loads up DM/GM apply effect option.(you going to find keyboard and hot keys to be your best friend once your learn them all) since these are instant effect damage or healing, I don't even bother typing up a name for it to show up in log. click the effect option press the click on the bar, then press first letter of the spell and it will bring your that spot in the effects, then pick one of the 4 effects and press load effect load in to the system and then select targets of the spell and apply.

It a lot of work on the back end for you, but speeds things up in actual game play. My guys can get through 3 to 5 level 15+ encounter in a night. Before d20 pro maybe 2 encounters in a night. I am sure they could do more if they did not want to roll there own d20 for attack rolls and save and just let d20 pro do it. I stopped them from rolling damage them selves because it taking to long. Double check monsters to, despite the good job D20pro and other guys have done using hero labs to make monsters and important them, they are missing key things are off a bit because hero labs put stuff in strange spots. Like Dragons bites for example will have .5 extra damage from STR. is added in the attack damage section, instead of selecting two handed option, you will see the same thing with off hand attacks/ secondary natural attacks. This makes power attack for pathfinder not function correctly. So you have to go in and fix them back to two-handed and off handed. They are also missing that all dragons natural weapons act as magic for going through dr. CMB will be including - damage. you can fix that by just going in changing it no apply STR to damage and set it to 0d0 damage.