1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Monsters

Discussion in 'D&D 4th Edition' started by SAbel, Sep 19, 2010.

1. SAbel

SAbel New Member

Is there a way to get the monsters to read as 4E or do you just have to fix the 3.5 monsters to work?

2. Leathermartini

Leathermartini New Member

There's not quick "fix" to move the 3.5 to 4.0 as there are a number of changes. I've basically deleted all the 3.5 ones out from my 4e campaign and added in the ones needed by the module. There was talk about an importer for the .monster files from the Adventure Tools.

3. Fkewlb

Fkewlb New Member

I create mine from scratch (waiting for the importer too..)

Here's my stab at creating 4e monsters in a 3.5 world

General Tab `:
    -adjust attributes, size, space, reach and speed as per the monsters stats
    -put his Full HP in the Hit Dice section (so i don't have to check the real stats block later on.. basically a reminder when the monster is bloodied)
    -i adjust the HP like this : FULL HP / BLOODIED VALUE (ex. 69/34) so that my players don't see if he's bloodied until they get to it. When a red bar finaly appears on the monster, edit the HP of the monster back to normal
    ex. : 69/34, gets hit for 36, the monster goes to 33/34 -> i then change it to 33/69 and my players now see that it's bloodied

-correct the AC by adjusting the Unarmed value
    -put the BAB override, and adjust to 0
    -enable Init Override and put the correct INIT
    -adjust his "Class level" (class = 4th Ed) to the correct level (for reference)
    -adjust the type to the similar 4th ed type (for monster knowledge checks)

Attack
    -put the "To Hit" as per the monster power
    -copy/paste the name of the power (ex.: "Dagger (standard;at-will)" ) for easier reference
    -put the correct damage dice (or 0d0+0 for effects only powers)
    -change the Crit to "MAX"
    -change the Type to "None / None" (-/-)
    -change the VS to the correct defense
    -change +6/+1 to NO
    -change style (but does not have an effect really, it's to remember)

I also add "attacks" for the easy reference during the games:
    -perception scores, vision types (tremorsense and the like)
    -trained skills
    -and other things like Auras and the like

Feat, Skill, Item, Spell-> empty

Ability
    -for encounter powers, add them as Daily (1/1) uses
    -for recharge powers, add them as Daily but 3/4/5/6 uses ( ex. a power recharges on 4/5/6, put daily 4/4) - so when a recharge power is used , it will show 1 lower then your full daily use , you know to reroll on his turn.

Description - empty
    Notes : complete copy/paste of the monsters Stats block for reference
    As an added bonus, if they PC make i high enough knowledge check, i just give them ownership of the monster and they can see the Notes section for all the info.

Hope this helps

4. Fkewlb

Fkewlb New Member

also, options to change to be more "4e" environment

-d20 pro menu
    -options
    General :
    change "Units :" to "Natural" (it will count squares instead of feet/meters)
    change "Diagonal counts as 1.5" to "Diagonal count as 1" so the ruler will work correctly in 4e

5. Crzydrew

Crzydrew New Member

This might seem simplistic, but I copy the monster out of the monster builder using an image. Then I create a handout file and use the picture of the monster's stat block. Then I can use the stat block in the program and have several up at the same time. Then to run the monster I use a character template for the monster and give it hit points and armor class and defenses. Then for the monster's attacks I use the dice rollers. And for the characters attacks I use the built in character builder import attacks.

Speaking of the character builder, what is to be done now that WotC changed the character builder to a web app?

6. Fkewlb

Fkewlb New Member

I do all that basically because i don't want to roll and calculate each attacks and each damage.
    I'd rather just choose an attack, choose the target and say :" I hit your AC with 25, (click attack hits button) , for 12 damage. Next ! "

I was wasting alot of time, and after a beer or two, miscalculating stuff.. ahum ! So i trust the computer to do all that for me !