1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

More Control of the Token by the Players

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Michael Clark, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Michael Clark

Michael Clark New Member

I really like d20Pro and it has kept our gaming group together despite moves across the country.

The only issue I have is that it puts an awful more than needed on the DM's plate in my opinion.

Is there any way to give players more control of their tokens?

If the player's could damage, heal, alter hit points, alter elevation, alter size, etc. for their tokens that they control, then the DM's job would be so much easier. A s it stands, I spend a lot of time with people saying "I cast Enlarge Person, make me large please" or "I fly up to 20 feet, change my elevation please" or "I cast Cure Light Wounds, please heal me 6 points", that it gets burdensome a lot of the times, especially at higher levels.

The DM will always be able to tell a player no or adjust something in error or whatever with the player, so why should all of that fall upon the DM. Maybe I am missing a step or a function to allow that, but I cannot find one.

To keep all of these actions to the DM alone without an alternative choice seems to me not to be maximizing the potential of the software.

Thanks for anyone's help or insight on this issue for me.

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

There are lot's of things you can do to alleviate your weight as GM. In the options you can toggle options such as 'I trust my players' which lessens the GMs interaction on attacks and such. A character can view/edit their token to adjust many of the things you suggested. if they are casting a spell, just target yourself and it will roll the dice and apply the HP... You do not have to manually perform those tasks..

I'd be happy to show you some of this via Discord or Skype if you like..

Tay-Dor likes this.
  3. Michael Clark

Michael Clark New Member

Thank you!

I see how the player can select View E and edit their character to a certain extent. Is there a way to allow this without the DM having to accept each change? I trust them and would like it to automatically be accepted.

Also, is there a way for the player's to change their type and range of light source or is that only on the DM screen?

Thank you for your help!

4. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

That is an option that is slated for the next build if I recall correctly. It will be a toggle in the options. SO GM can turn it on when players are leveling up, or have it on all the time. or any combination they wish.

At this time given the resources for lights, they are only manageable by the GM.

5. Michael Clark

Michael Clark New Member

Thank you for the quick reply!

Another unrelated question, when importing a map how to I know what the best number to put in for the desired grid size (#4 on the Excel Map Scale Tool file)? Also, is the Original Image Dimensions always just the same as the Pixels Counted? I am not much of a computer image guy so if the GIMP shows a dimension at the top of my selected image, I enter that number into both sets of fields.

Thanks again!

6. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

If you make a map in GIMP, if you set your gimp grid guide to 50...
    grid1.png grid2.png

Then you take the finished dimensions of your image and divide by 50 and that tells you how to set your d20pro import size.
    ie: a 450 x 650 = 9 x 13

You could do it with the default 10 grid size in GIMP, but 50 gives you some room to work with and keeps the resolution looking good.

7. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

as @Tay-Dor says, GIMP grid for counts scaling and cropping is the easiest means all around.

8. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

also, you can get the resolution of a downloaded image from the files properties. I cannot tell you how many times I just count off grid units and divide this into the width or height to get a grid estimate.

eventually we'll have a much more intuitive grid sizing tool for you to use when importing maps. more details when we get closer to implementing it.

Lonewolf147 likes this.