1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Multi Campaigns

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ncassella, Jul 17, 2014.

1. ncassella

ncassella Member

Question for all out there.

I'm running two campaigns and would like to utilize the images in the one, with the other with out having to duplicate the files. I know this is being taken care of in the unlimited version but for now i had an idea and wanted to know if any of you had managed to get this to work before I waste time.

I was thinking of creating a directory on my NAS and mapping shortcuts to the campaign folders. That way everything in the CTR and other folders would be the same across all campaigns. Has anyone tried this or have another solution other then copying all the files over again?

Nate

2. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

I use a software called Alwaysync for that. It is free up to a certain data transfer max per month, but I liked it so much I bought it. I currently use it to back up my game state across my NAS and Thumb Drive. Me being paranoid of losing the game state, but at least if my PC drive burned up I could run off of my NAS file or Thumb Drive and be at the last known stare of the game. I am sure it would work for this purpose. I am considering this now that you mentioned it here.

3. ncassella

ncassella Member

Thanks Golkiwu.

I'll take a look at it alwayssync. Once I finish my server build out I'll let you know if running from the NAS works correctly.

4. kaltorak18

kaltorak18 New Member

I use dropbox, it's free up to a certain amount of storage as well. And you can publicly or privately share folders.

5. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

I am not sure that Dropbox will do what he is trying to accomplish. In my campaign, we used Dropbox as a repository for preloading map data, but ultimately you need a software that will sync that data to the file in the D20PRO locations. He wants to make all of his images across multiple campaigns, which are in individual folders. He can use the Dropbox (or other Cloud) to build and maintain his primary repository across multiple computers, but the individual image folders in each campaign will need to be fed from there with a sync program of sorts.

6. ChrisRevocateur

The issue with All-Ways Sync in this case is that all it is doing is duplicating the files, which means your picture library (for all the exact same images) doubles, triples, quadruples, etc, in space taken up on the HDD if you have two, three, four, etc campaigns that you're running.

I wonder if it's possible to set up symbolic links to an individual folder (no, not shortcuts) that might work. I seem to remember someone trying it in the past and it not working, but that might just be my brain telling me it won't work before even trying.

I'll see about trying it out sometime in the next few days (when I have time to refresh myself on symbolic links and actually try it).

7. ncassella

ncassella Member

So my first attempt failed.

Tried to pull the files out of a dummy campaign and set them as shortcuts, (which lets face it we were all pretty sure wasn't going to work)

I'm looking into the symbolic links like Chris suggested. will let ya'll know how that pans out.

8. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

So, I asked out in-house Windows Master at work and he gave me this:

• mklink – a command line tool included with Vista and Server 2008 and above. The most current link creation tool included with Windows. It creates Hard Links, Symbolic Links and Junction Points.

usage: mklink [[/d] | [/h] | [/j]] <NameofLink> <Target>

/d – Creates a Symbolic Link for a directory. If no flag used, creates a Symbolic Link for a file (default)

/h – Creates a Hard Link

/j – Creates a Junction Point

<NameofLink> – The name for the Symbolic Link being created

<Target> – The relative or absolute path of the target

/? – Help

I hope this is helpful, I have not tried it but the source is impeccable.

9. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member