1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Multiple DR settings

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Daeruin, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

I need to be able to create multiple DR settings, so for example DR of 2 versus slashing attacks, but a DR of 4 versus fire attacks. Currently you can only enter one value, i.e. DR 2 versus all the chosen types, or DR 4 versus all the chosen types, but not DR 2 versus one type and DR 4 versus another type. Thanks!

2. ogexam

ogexam Member

multiple DRs? hmmm

I am wondering how mechanically you want it to work, and if you are thinking in terms of DR or ER type effect.

DR states always take X less damage unless the attack is of the DR type.
    ER states always take X less damage from attacks of the ER type.

Examples:
    DR 5/magic: when attacked by a weapon will always take 5 less damage unless the attack as the magic type
    ER 5 fire: takes full damage unless the attack has the fire type then take 5 less damage.

With multiple DRs 2/slashing and 4/fire do you have to have both types to break through, or if you have part you can ignore part of it?
    weapon 1: mace
    weapon 2: longsword
    weapon 3: scorching ray
    weapon 4: flaming long sword

For simplicity lets say on their attack each did 10 points of damage. If the creature has DR 2/slashing and DR 4/fire how much damage do they take?
    W1: apply the greatest DR to yield 6, or add both types of DR for 4 damage
    W2: Ignores DR 2/slashing so takes 6, or is the greater 4/fire non addative and they person still take 10 since they did not bypass the dr/fire
    W3: takes 8? since it gets past the fire, but not the slashing
    W4: 10

Or are you wanting if you attack with slashing you take 2 less damage? If so you want to use Elemental Resistances and not DR. Since slashing, piercing, etc. are not in ER use another one that is currently there as a way of fudging it.

3. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

I'm sorry, fire was a bad example. That would fall under ER, but that's not what I need. Here's what I want specifically.

DR 2 versus bludgeon attacks
    DR 4 versus pierce attacks
    DR 6 versus slashing attacks

I need these to all be active at the same time. So depending on the type of attack, you have a different DR value. Right now I can set a single DR value that applies to multiple types, but what I need is multiple values that each apply to a different type. Does that make sense?

4. ogexam

ogexam Member

Please give examples.

If you had the DR you listed:

What would the damage a creature takes from different types of attacks, for simplicity lets say they all do 15 damage. What damage is taken if the attack type is as follows:
    slashing:
    Bludgeoning:
    Piercing:
    slashing and bludgeoning:
    slashing, piercing and bludgeoning:
    bludgeoning and piercing:
    Piercing and slashing:
    No type:
    Force:
    Fire:

5. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

I don't anticipate having attacks that do multiple types of damage, so I wasn't even thinking along those lines. For my game, the attacks would be either slashing, piercing, or bludgeoning, but never a mix. In my game, armor acts as damage reduction rather than adding to your AC. It reduces damage by a different amount depending on the attack type of the opposing weapon. So you'd only have a single attack type, which would be reduced by a certain amount based on the DR value of the particular armor against that attack type.

Having said that, I suppose multiple attack types could come up perhaps with some exotic or high-level creatures that I haven't come up against yet. Or from magic weapons. In that case I would probably want to apply only the lowest DR, assuming that the attacker knows to use the best type of attack against the given armor.

So here's what I think would happen in your scenarios. We're saying each attack does 15 damage.

Slashing: 9
    Bludgeoning: 13
    Piercing: 11
    Slashing and bludgeoning: 13
    Slashing, piercing and bludgeoning: 13
    Bludgeoning and piercing: 13
    Piercing and slashing: 11
    No type: 15
    Force: 15
    Fire: 15

6. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Thinking a bit more about this, I'm not sure it really matters. How the various attack types and DR types interact would probably be a Judge decision anyway. As long as d20pro presents the attack type(s) and all the available DR types during damage calculation, and allows the Judge to modify it as necessary, it would work fine. And it would be basically consistent with how d20pro currently functions anyway. The Judge always has the ability to approve or change DR effects during damage calculation.

7. ogexam

ogexam Member

Is this for a home brew system, or is this used by any current game systems?

Lots of attacks have multiple types, claws are slashing and piercing, bite is all 3.
    A mace could be considered as bludgeoning and piercing.
    If you go with 'realistic' damage types a two handed sword would be slashing and bludgeoning.

8. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

It's for a d20 gaming supplement called Codex Martialis I would like to use. I have been posting about it in the "Other Systems" subforum. Yes, different attack types are possible with a single weapon, but not generally at the same time. Sure, there are some weapons that do both simultaneously, like spiked maces, but they are the exception rather the rule in my opinion. In any case, with the rules I'm trying to use, you choose which attack type you're making at the time of the attack. This system has chosen to gloss over details like spiked maces doing both piercing and bludgeoning damage in the same attack, in favor of focusing on slightly higher strategic choices, like whether to attempt a piercing attack to punch through heavy armor, or a bludgeoning attack to attempt a knockout blow. It's a similar story with animals. Sure claws can slash and pierce, but piercing is generally secondary to the slashing damage—at least for large cats; it might be different for an owl for example. You would choose one or the other depending on the animal and what it was trying to accomplish with a given attack.

9. Leathermartini

Leathermartini New Member

As I recall, only the "Best" damage reduction applied in non-homebrew systems. So for the 2/4/6 example, only the DR 6 would apply. However, I believe this specific example is never explicitly addressed (as the DR in question was always X/- or was ER). And with a non-3.X core system, who knows how it would apply.

10. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Leathermartini, that was my initial thought anyway. Just apply the highest DR and ignore the others. But in any case, it's probably best for d20pro to remain flexible. Perhaps the highest DR could be applied as a default, but the Judge should always be presented with all the possible DR values and choose which ones to apply for a given attack. That way it removes the current single-DR limitation and stays flexible and open to other systems/interpretations.

11. Leathermartini

Leathermartini New Member

I'm not sure if that's how D20pro works, that's me guessing at a rules interpretation. ;)

Might just have to play around with making someone with 1/s 2/b 3/p and then poke them with it. :) (But as you said, since the type of damaged specified is what -nulls- the DR, rather than CM's designation of the DR that applies to that damage type... It still won't quite work the way CM wants.)

12. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Yeah, I actually keep forgetting the attack type is an exception. It's so counterintuitive to me, I just can't remember it. Good luck with that test—d20pro won't do it right now, that's what I'm requesting. :)

13. Mandos

Mandos New Member

I'm having a problem with something similar, and I don't see an answer in these posts.

I'm using a 3.5 supplement that has a Drow Half-Fiend enemy, and according to her stat block, she has "DR 5/good and 2/cold iron" I see how to set up DR for good or/and coldiron 5 or 2, but not two different numbers.

1. Can D20 pro handle different DR numbers on one token?
    2. Can someone please unpack for me what "and/or" exactly mean in DR? TY

14. Mandos

Mandos New Member

15. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

"DR 5/good and 2/cold iron"

That makes absolutely no logical sense whatsoever. They can't both be true.

16. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

DR 5/good = must use a "good" aligned weapon to overcome damage reduction. If using any other type of weapon, reduce final damage by 5.

DR 2/cold iron = must use a weapon made of "cold iron" to overcome damage reduction. If using any other type of weapon, reduce final damage by 2.

DR 5/good OR cold iron = must use either a "good" aligned weapon OR a weapon made of "cold iron" to overcome damage reduction. If using any other type of weapon, reduce the final damage by 5.

DR 5/good AND cold iron = must use a weapon made of "cold iron" which is magically aligned "good" to overcome damage reduction. If using any other type of weapon, including just a "good" aligned weapon or just a weapon made of "cold iron", reduce the final damage by 5.

And, more importantly
    (According to the d20 SRD)
    Thus, for this creature use DR5/good.

17. Mandos

Mandos New Member

Curtis, thanks for clarifying that. I took this 5/2 thing straight out of the WotC supplement Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk, p. 135:

Kalystys CR 13
    hp 80 (10 HD); DR 5/good and 2/cold iron

The supplement explicitly says it uses 3.5 rules. Weird.

18. AEIOU

AEIOU Member

In your situation:
    A normal dagger would hit against DR5
    A frost banishing vorpal dagger of undead slaying would hit against dR5 (if it existed)
    A cold iron dagger would hit against DR5 (good trumps cold iron with higher DR)
    A good dagger would hit against DR2 (cold iron kicks in)
    A cold iron good dagger would hit against DR0 (all DR types are bypassed)

19. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

True, there's just not yet a way to apply this logic in d20Pro.

20. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Ah! So that's how it works. I could not make sense of it. Thanks for that.