1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

My players cant see my map

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by thorimar, May 21, 2017.

1. thorimar

thorimar New Member

I am using the latest public beta 3.6.11.19

Had my players connect, but all they see is a lock over the map and the rest is a gray checkerboard.

I changed some settings, then the lock disappeared but the gray checkerboard stayed.

I have never had this problem before, I have toggled all my setting on and off so see if I could find the issue.

Any ideas?

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Have tried 'Refesh Resources' under Options? Save and close the map first, run that, then reopen the map.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, I'd check on marketplace assets (encrypted).

Is this a from scratch map, or something you pulled over from the public release 3.6.11?

3. thorimar

thorimar New Member

First I tried pulling it over from an earlier version (3.6.10). Then I created a new map in 3.6.11.19 and I had the same exact problem.

Honestly, my worst day with d20pro ever. My group has used it for years, and we have had technical issues before but never something related to map load. Without map load, you have nothing, just worthless code.

4. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

please export a copy of the map and upload it here.. I'll take a look.
    Also, it is a Beta, there are going to be issues.

I found 3-4 in casual use yesterday.

5. thorimar

thorimar New Member

Here is the map that I created in beta 3.6.11.19. This was the second map I attempted to share with my players. They were all able to view a small simple "green room" map (attached for reference)that I have been using for over a year. With the overview map only 2 out of 5 could see the actual map. The group was a mix of PC/Mac and the map issue occurred on both platforms.

We checked the memory allocation on all machines and everyone had plenty of free memory to handle the transfer.
    These are screenshots of what my players couple see.

gray.JPG lock.JPG

Attached Files:

6. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Looks alright over here.

upload_2017-5-23_9-19-10.png

and the view from the client.

upload_2017-5-23_9-23-32.png

7. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Typically, a lock is caused by either of two things.

1. it's an encrypted assets - marketplace related. You've copied licensed material over to an unauthorized location/campaign.

2. The asset has been moved since it was originally used. Usually this is the file location on the hard drive that has been changed since the map was created.

I'd try having the players go into their file system, and purge the game cache as well. This will force them to redownload everything from the Host.

Go to the D20PRO install location.
    Go to the Player/Campaigns folder.
    Remove any sub-directories contained there.

upload_2017-5-23_10-7-36.png

Have them re launch D20PRO, and connect to you.
    Once connected, rebroadcast (F3) the game to the players.

8. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

The grey checkerboard is a place holder for un-received assets. If that never goes away, then I'd assume it is something network related that is preventing those images from reaching the client, or the client preventing those image from being transmitted to it.

What network security is in play here?

9. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

@thorimar, what networking solution are you using when you're seeing this? the new one? or the TCP/IP one?

10. thorimar

thorimar New Member

owlbear, I was using the default networking solution for this iteration of d20Pro, not the TCP/IP option. I'm not sure what system that Is built on, but I figured newer was the way to go.

As for network security, there is none. My router is actively using port forwarding with this application as I have done in the past. Should give my players a free pass to the program.

I did a fresh install of this version and copied an old campaign file over, which as you alluded to could cause an issue. But then I made a brand new map and still had the problem, so that isn't the issue. Most of my players used the update installed from the website, not a clean install, so I will try to get one of them to clear folders and try the map again.