1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

New Game on d20pro starting.

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by kirish, May 14, 2011.

1. kirish

kirish New Member

Hello,
    I am new to d20pro. I am not new to DM'ing. I have been DM'ing regularly since 1988. I like to run long epic style campaigns. The system I am using is irrelevant. I don't like players getting lost in power gaming and missing the story lines (I dont mind character optimization I just don't like it when it becomes the reason to play...) So I am going to be using a homebrew version of the OSRIC rules. (If you google "OSRIC RPG" you can download a free copy of the open license rule rule book) This is basically 2.0 AD&D with a few 3.5 rules tossed in. The main one I am considering is skills rolls and Combat (not using the 10 to -10 AC system) and using positive number increase for additional difficulty. The character classes will be fairly simple to start. But highly customizable THROUGH gameplay. You will be able to add skills and abilities through a game mechanic wherein you utilize e.p. earned from adventuring to research new skills and abilities (EX1: A warrior wants a whirlwind attack. He emails the DM a list of what he wants it to do. The DM and Him negotiate a fair rule and then decide on an ep amount. This ep will not be used to level but for developing a specific skill. He will then start learning it. The DM may include personal quests like going and finding a specific trainer for a unique skill. Once the player has enough training ep earned he learns the new ability. Ex 2: A mage wants to learn how to cast spells while using a shield. A rule is agreed upon by dm and player and an ep amount. He trains for it and it becomes a skill he can use. Ex 3. A rogue wants to learn how to cast charm person. A rule is agreed upon, an ep amount (it would be high) and he might have to find a mage willing to teach him.. But once he did he could learn it. The specifics would be negotiated between the dm and the player.)
    I will have 12 main races for you to choose from though it is a Humanocentric campaign.
    I dont care what alignment you play but you must play consistent. I will tell you what alignment you are playing.
    I ask that you stay consistent. I will lay hooks for you. This makes the game much smoother... I dont care if you go rogue once in a while. i have no problem improvising. Its just a prepared game is better for all. So, if you are evil and I lay evil hooks dont decide you want to be good that week or else you will find the world you play in a far less friendly place.
    Levels will start out at 0. The level the characters will reach is not set. I dont care if I DM 5th or 50th level players. My goal though is to have an ongoing campaign over several years.
    Therefore Player requirements:
    1) Have d20pro or being willing to install it. We will probably use Skype or Qnext for audio.
    2) Have some experience at d20pro or be a quick learner.
    3) Understand the DM is not a "noob" but merely new to d20pro.
    4) Be able to play once a week. Game sessions will be between 5-8hours min. We will take breaks. I am thinking Sundays 5-11pm. Make a counter offer.
    5) Have the intent on playing in a long term campaign.
    6) Not be an idiot. I will boot disruptive or argumentative players. Its about fun, not being a bad ass or right all the time.

If you are interested please contact me @ dentaa@rocketmail.com and let me know what experience you have and when you are available to play.
    I will start the campaign when I have 4 players who are ready. But I might practice using d20pro with a few players in one on one or to person gaming sessions.
    In case this posting cant be removed, this is only good till July 1st, 2011. After that either the group has started or I have given up and am not running a game.
    If we need additional players down the road I will make such a posting.

2. bigkilla

bigkilla Member

Sounds interesting, although the time frame is out for me as I run a Sunday game as well. Some of the things you are planning sound fun although they sound like they could be difficult to run with D20pro. If you decide on a different time I might be interested and might be able to put a premade group together for you as i currently have 2 groups I run for that are always looking for more Rp goodness. I have quite a bit of D20pro experience and 31 years of RPG experience. I will show this link to some people I know and see what they think.

3. kirish

kirish New Member

Hmm. Ok, so I might have to run a modified 3.5 game.. I dont mind the architecture of 3.5 as i like GURPS. If alt gaming systems are not viable on d20pro then I can adjust. I was even thinking about running a historically accurate campaign in the Crusades era. spellcasting would be rare and many magical effects would be converted into inherent skills.. just an idea. otherwise I have a fantasy based classical (homebrew) campaign ready to go.