1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie need help with the bleeding effect and initiative

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by heldenhammer, Aug 12, 2013.

1. heldenhammer

heldenhammer New Member

Hi folks

just started to get familiar with d20pro and to support my real life rpg round (mostly used as a vtt) it works fantastic. But now I am planning to launch a internet based rpg round in the Forgotten Realms that means no more real life discussions or meetings. All my players will sit behind their home pcs.
    When I used d20pro during my last session the rogue player made a sneak attack and let his victims bleeding. I tried to create that effect but I failed. Therefore I had to count the damage reduction manually in order not to destroy the gaming atmosphere but I am quite sure there is an easy way for creating that effect. Isn't it? any help will be highly appreciated.
    Another problem we faced was to adjust manually the value of the rolled initiative after combat started. In my specific case, the wizard summoned a level one monster, I added it to the roster, entered the initaitve via the alter / iniative button but it didn't worked at all. Who can help me to fix that problem?
    Thanks for helping
    And once again, thanks for having enough patient to unravel / decipher my bad english.

Thanks
    heldenhammer

2. KainPen

KainPen Member

For Bleed damage over time on your rogues character sheet go to abilities -> add -> Name the ability (since it has to do with sneak attack set it to at will)--> click on effect --> Hp tab there is fast healing/DOT(Damage over time) drop it to -1, -2 what ever the bleed amount is, if you do 1 ,2 ,3 or any other positive number it will heal the target instead. next go to duration change to infinite for bleed. It will apply it that damage every round until you cancel the ability. D20 pro will stack DOT so you have to remember to cancel the effect of you need to increase the amount. I don't remember if it shows up in the log, but it will apply it self at that same point every round the effect was apply.

unfortunately there no quick fix for the 2nd problem. One the initiative screen goes away it gone until you roll fresh initiative again. It runs as on active roster, if you want to add a creature, Highlight the said creature and press I on keyboard, it will add it to the roster at a randomly rolled initiative that you never see the score of. In the case with the summon monster who go in the same turn as the caster. once the creature is added , end the casters turn. you highlight he creature again can press G on the keyboard the creature initiative will change to that place in roster and it will go after the caster every time, unless someone delays/ready action and changes there own initiative.

to delay hit the hour glass for ready hit the triangle with ! in the middle. that will mark the creature as doing the function. and you can press G to have them jump in at there desired point in combat. the effect end when they finish there turn. you will notice when you Hit G on highlight creature, the creature after it will be marked with delay effect.

Edit: I just test the DOT again on my machine is does show up in the log but does not tell you the amount it work in and out of combat, when out of combat it will apply per round but you have to manual adjust the clock at the bottom of the screen and that DOT does not show up in the log it just happens.

3. heldenhammer

heldenhammer New Member

Hi KainPen
    thanks for your help.
    Unfortunately the thing with the iniative is not very satisfying, maybe the guys from d20pro can fix that in the near future?
    When I started a test session witrh two of my players yesterday, some additional questions popped up and I hope that someone is able to answer them.

Items:
    Is there a way that PC's (for my sake via me as the GM)can exchange items. I only found out that I (as the GM) have to drop them on the ground where I can move, copy or destroy them, but no chance so far to add it once again to the PC who dropped it nor to add it to the item list of another character.
    How are you dealing with that issue?

Charactermanagement:
    Is there a chance to give my players more administrative rights for their characters e.g. to create the effects for spells, special abilities etc. This would save me a lot of time because than my players would be able to prepare their effects in advanve.

Effect Frightened
    Another question, tried to pregenerate the Effect Frightened and everything worked fine in the presettings but when applied on a creature it is only shown that the fortitude save is only reduced by 1 even if -2 is properly selected for that save. Tried to increase the value of that save but it doesn't matter, the fortitude save is only reduced by one. Is that a bug? It just popped up by reducing all combat, skills and save values by two like described in the PF rule setting.

By the way, I am using Java 7, could that be the reason?

That is all for the moment, and thanks for your help

4. KainPen

KainPen Member

The item system I think is be reworked, but i can't tell you any more then that. I know some one requested for it to be updated, some time ago, that is the only way I know of getting it work is to drop and pick up. I don't even use that section of the program as I only need I see for it is to keep track of character weight. I let my guys do that on some auto fill and calculate character sheet I found on pathfinders forums. They save the sheet and send it to me after each game then I update there characters in the system. Also those sheets look a lot prettier then the prints from d20 pro. But for Items I know I want to keep track of like potions, I just add them to the ability section and give them charge count and when it = 0. I know they are out so they can't cheat me on it. Also it allows me to configure the spell effect or other ability for said items. I do the same with arrows and ammo. Manually reduce them after round of combat.

As for editing the character some people found a work around for that issue but I think it is in the works also to for setting that up. The work around is for player to have gm copy of d20pro and then place the character on a map then export the map and give it to pc. then they can edit the character export the map back to you. There may be a simpler way I will let the other who actual do it answer that better. I normally don't let my guy edit there own characters because I got 2 guys that always mess them up even auto fill calculate sheets.

I will test frightened for you tomorrow and post back my results I never noticed that before may be a bug. I am using Java 7. no problem. I know these board seem kind of dead right now but they should be getting active soon. i think version 3.4 is do out soon for beta testing. It is supposed to be full java 7 functional. It is often around this time of the year new version get beta tested. That one the reason I like this program so much the dev are always updating and trying to improve the system and actual take our request on improvement and so forth. I know one of my request made it in to the system after the 2.something update. There is a cheater dice function for dm to fudge rolls by clicking 20 side dice before confirm roll or hit and then manual imputing the number you want to roll to be. The players never know if you fudge them even if see dm rolls is on. Before that I would sometimes have to just declare a natural 20 as a miss cause I would have killed off a character.

5. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Yeah, it been pretty slow here on the boards, but I attribute it to being the end of summer (regular posters) and the Cons going on (staff)..
    3.4 is due pretty soon, so it should pick up quite a lot once that happens...

6. KainPen

KainPen Member

heldenhammer
    I checked shaken/Frighted, I could not get it to repeat the issue you are having. All my saves did drop by -2. only thing I could figure is maybe a linger effect may be sticking on the creature for some reason that is giving it a +1.
    hit crtl e on keyboard and it will bring up a list of all effects that could still be play. clear all of it off. when effects end sometimes they don't come off of here. I would clear this out every rest of game day. Note before doing this I close all maps but the one the pcs are on in the program. Because when you do this it will cancel any preplanned effects you have set up for your creatures on other maps. I think someone put in a request to get that fix also. Give that a try and let us know.

oh here is another tip for you save each map you have open after every session before closing them. and keep a back up of your mind genie directory. I had java not d20 pro mess up and delete stuff on me twice after closing d20pro because java decided to give me a memory error. It will save you a ton of head aches and time if you do this.