1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

One player kills everyone else's connection

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SpoiltVChild, Feb 6, 2011.

1. SpoiltVChild

SpoiltVChild New Member

We're running a campaign with five players. When four of those players are connected, everything works fine. We'll call the fifth player "Player X." When Player X connects, the game hangs. When Player X disconnects, the game resumes. This happens regardless of how many other players are connected at the time.

Player X is running Windows 7 and has a 1.3 Mbps connection that works fine otherwise. His JVM heap size is set to 1000 MB. And his firewall settings don't seem to make a difference. We're all running 2.3.0.

Any ideas? It seems like this might be the same problem as the one described in this thread: http://forums.d20pro.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=762

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Have the player who is experiencing troubles...
    First, reinstall Java6 : http://www.java.com
    Next, use a "round" number for memory allocation, such as 512MB, or 1024MB. Do not make this setting take over a forth of the available on-board memory.
    Restart the computer.
    Start up d20Pro and see if they are able to connect without network issues.
    If there are still issues ask player to ping http://www.google.com and see what the latency is. On cmd.exe the number I'm interested is "time=___ms"

3. SpoiltVChild

SpoiltVChild New Member

Thanks, we'll give these a try this week and I'll let you know how it turns out.

4. SpoiltVChild

SpoiltVChild New Member

Well, reinstalling Java seems to have fixed the original problem -- the session no longer freezes when Player X enters. Unfortunately, his connection now times out whenever the GM attempts to broadcast the map to him. This problem began after reinstalling Java and persisted through the other recommended steps. His latency was 69 ms.

5. neofax

neofax New Member

Is the map large? How many KB? What OS is he using? Does he have one of the notorious NVIDIA NIC chipsets? How much memory on his system? Have him run Task Manager or another process monitor and watch his memory. I don't know if d20Pro has a error log file, but if it does, he may want to watch that. He can also make JAVA open the JAVA console so he can monitor that to see if any errors are kicked.

6. Merciel

Merciel New Member

I can't answer the other questions, but in regards to the first: it was the Sandpoint Glassworks map from Rise of the Runelords, so yeah, it was pretty big (3591 kb? That's what it says on the educatedgamer site, anyway. I am technologically impaired and also on my work computer so can't look it up on my own machine).

7. Dan

Dan Member

Damn those Tintagel maps!! Always with the multi-megabyte high res craziness!

:p

8. Merciel

Merciel New Member

Yeah, but they're so pretty. So, so pretty. I can't... stop... myself...

(sorry, I have nothing else to add about the actual problem, I just love those maps. <3 <3 so pretty. I'll bug SVC to post again with an update later tonight.)