1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

[Ongoing] 3.5 dnd addition

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Keyafay, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Keyafay

Keyafay New Member

ok here is he delema. I like your program, it is far more superior than OpenRPG but you are limited on what classes/magic...ect. unless you edit the txt file manually. Feats are easy to edit copy past and POOF, you have 130 pages of feats to chose from. Classes on the other hand are a pain. Do you have a updated .txt files available with all classes/magic, ect... If you do I think i found my new program. if not that's ok.

keep up the good work, it dose look very well thought out.

((BTW, if you would like the feat file I can link it. it has 120 pages of feats from "all" the 3.5 books.

2. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

Re: 3.5 dnd addition

Keyafay, thank you for the kind words!

We are only able to provide OGL content with d20Pro due to licensing and copyright issues. If you are looking for classes that come from books like "Complete Warrior" for example then that is something you could possibly work with other d20Pro users to create. Splitting up the work would make it easier. We are currently working on a newer version that will make editing all of the custom files much easier and make the work much faster. You might want to look in the User Created Content section of the forums to find out if any other users are looking for something like this.

3. Keyafay

Keyafay New Member

Thank you, if I am able to talk to my DM, I am sure we will be looking to transfer over to yuor application. meanwhile. I am going to continue adding a few classes that our adventure is using. Once I get to the point of adding other classes I might do a search for help om the other topic thred. Again, you made a very, friendly, nice looking application.

Keyafay

4. Dan

Dan Member

Yeah, I think that "Splatbook" content will have to come from our users, since that information is copyrighted (especially when we start looking at spell progression and spell lists). The information is not too hard to edit however. If you look at the basic non-caster classes they are pretty simple. Take the barbarian in the txt file:

Code:
    ## CLASS: BARBARIAN
    CreatureClass=Barbarian
    AttackRate=1
    GoodSaves=Fort
    If I wanted to import a Kensai (another non-caster) then I just type this:
    Code:
    ## CLASS: KENSAI
    CreatureClass=Kensai
    AttackRate=1
    GoodSaves=Fort
    Non-casting prestige classes work just like regular classes.

Spellcasting classes pose a bit more of a challenge, particularly prestige spellcasters. Let's start with a spellcasting class like the hexblade. The Complete Warrior says that the Hexblade casts spells as a sorcerer, using CHA as his primary stat. So let's look at the sorcerer from the classes.txt file:
    Code:
    ## CLASS: SORCERER
    CreatureClass=Sorcerer
    AttackRate=.5
    GoodSaves=Will
    SpellCaster=com.mindgene.d20.plugin.dnd.creature.SpellCasterTemplate_Sorceror|CHA
    #SPELLS AVAILABLE
    Spells0=Resistance|Acid Splash|Detect Poison|Detect Magic|Read Magic|Daze|Dancing Lights|Flare|Light|Ray of Frost|Ghost Sound|Bleed|Disrupt Undead|Touch of Fatigue|Mage Hand|Mending|Message|Open/Close|Arcane Mark|Prestidigitation
    Spells1=Alarm.....
    #SPELLS PER DAY
    PerDay1=5|3
    PerDay2=6|4
    PerDay3=6|5
    #SPELLS KNOWN
    Known1=4|2
    Known2=5|1
    Known3=5|3
    Notice that we have the same basic top stuff (including attack rate and saves) then have a line that says:
    SpellCaster=com.mindgene.d20.plugin.dnd.creature.SpellCasterTemplate_Sorceror|CHA
    Just copy/paste that into your Hexblade. If your class was a spontaneous divine caster (like Spirit Shaman) then you could just change the CHA to WIS or whatever.

Next come the spell lists. These are basically in the form of:
    Code:
    #SPELLS AVAILABLE
    Spells0=__________|_________|____________|
    Where spells are separated by Pipe characters (shift+\)

Then you fill out the spells per day. These are done in a similar fashion, but have the number of spell slots separated by pipes.
    Finally you list the spells known. Follow the same formatting and you will be fine.

So Hexblade will look kind of like:
    Code:
    ## CLASS: HEXBLADE
    CreatureClass=Hexblade
    AttackRate=1
    GoodSaves=Will
    #SPELLS AVAILABLE
    Spells0=Resistance|Acid Splash|Detect Poison|Detect Magic|Read Magic|Daze|Dancing Lights|Flare|Light|Ray of Frost|Ghost Sound|Bleed|Disrupt Undead|Touch of Fatigue|Mage Hand|Mending|Message|Open/Close|Arcane Mark|Prestidigitation
    Spells1=Alarm...
    #SPELLS PER DAY
    PerDay1=-
    PerDay2=-
    PerDay3=-
    PerDay4=0
    PerDay5=0
    PerDay6=1
    PerDay7=1
    PerDay8=1|0
    #SPELLS KNOWN
    Known1=0
    Known2=0
    Known3=0
    Known4=2
    Known5=2
    Known6=3
    Known7=3
    Known8=4|2
    Notice the dash (-) on the levels 1-3. These ensure that d20pro doesn't apply ability score modifiers to spells per day for those levels.

If anyone wants to start on a project, I can help, but we can't release d20pro with that data coming from Mindgene.

5. Keyafay

Keyafay New Member

Now I added the Favored Soul to my class list and used the sorcerer template with cleric spells.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Code:
    ## CLASS: FAVORED SOUL
    CreatureClass=Favored Soul
    AttackRate=.75
    GoodSaves=Fort|Will|Ref
    #SPELLS AVAILABLE
    Spells0=Create Water|Cure Minor Wounds|Detect Magic|Detect Poison|Guidance|Inflict Minor Wounds|Light|Mending|Purify Food and Drink|Read Magic|Resistance|Virtue
    Spells1=Bane|Bless|Bless Water|Cause Fear|Command|Comprehend Languages|Cure Light Wounds|Curse Water|Deathwatch|Detect Chaos|Detect Evil|Detect Good|Detect Law|Detect Undead|Divine Favor|Doom|Endure Elements|Entropic Shield|Hide from Undead|Inflict Light Wounds|Magic Stone|Magic Weapon|Obscuring Mist|Protection from Chaos|Protection from Evil|Protection from Good|Protection from Law|Remove Fear|Sanctuary|Shield of Faith|Summon Monster I
    Spells2=Aid|Align Weapon|Augury|Bear's Endurance|Bull's Strength|Calm Emotions|Consecrate|Cure Moderate Wounds|Darkness|Death Knell|Delay Poison|Desecrate|Eagle's Splendor|Enthrall|Find Traps|Gentle Repose|Hold Person|Inflict Moderate Wounds|Make Whole|Owl's Wisdom|Remove Paralysis|Resist Energy|Restoration, Lesser|Shatter|Shield Other|Silence|Sound Burst|Spiritual Weapon|Status|Summon Monster II|Undetectable Alignment|Zone of Truth
    Spells3=Animate Dead|Bestow Curse|Blindness/Deafness|Contagion|Continual Flame|Create Food and Water|Cure Serious Wounds|Daylight|Deeper Darkness|Dispel Magic|Glyph of Warding|Helping Hand|Inflict Serious Wounds|Invisibility Purge|Locate Object|Magic Circle against Chaos|Magic Circle against Evil|Magic Circle against Good|Magic Circle against Law|Magic Vestment|Meld into Stone|Obscure Object|Prayer|Protection from Energy|Remove Blindness/Deafness|Remove Curse|Remove Disease|Searing Light|Speak with Dead|Stone Shape|Summon Monster III|Water Breathing|Water Walk|Wind Wall
    Spells4=Air Walk|Control Water|Cure Critical Wounds|Death Ward|Dimensional Anchor|Discern Lies|Dismissal|Divination|Divine Power|Freedom of Movement|Giant Vermin|Imbue with Spell Ability|Inflict Critical Wounds|Magic Weapon, Greater|Neutralize Poison|Planar Ally, Lesser|Poison|Repel Vermin|Restoration|Sending|Spell Immunity|Summon Monster IV|Tongues
    Spells5=Atonement|Break Enchantment|Command, Greater|Commune|Cure Light Wounds, Mass|Dispel Chaos|Dispel Evil|Dispel Good|Dispel Law|Disrupting Weapon|Flame Strike|Hallow|Inflict Light Wounds, Mass|Insect Plague|Mark of Justice|Plane Shift|Raise Dead|Righteous Might|Scrying|Slay Living|Spell Resistance|Summon Monster V|Symbol of Pain|Symbol of Sleep|True Seeing|Unhallow|Wall of Stone
    Spells6=Animate Objects|Antilife Shell|Banishment|Bear's Endurance, Mass|Blade Barrier|Bull's Strength, Mass|Create Undead|Cure Moderate Wounds, Mass|Dispel Magic, Greater|Eagle's Splendor, Mass|Find the Path|Forbiddance|Geas/Quest|Glyph of Warding, Greater|Harm|Heal|Heroes' Feast|Inflict Moderate Wounds, Mass|Owl's Wisdom, Mass|Planar Ally|Summon Monster VI|Symbol of Fear|Symbol of Persuasion|Undeath to Death|Wind Walk|Word of Recall
    Spells7=Blasphemy|Control Weather|Cure Serious Wounds, Mass|Destruction|Dictum|Ethereal Jaunt|Holy Word|Inflict Serious Wounds, Mass|Refuge|Regenerate|Repulsion|Restoration, Greater|Resurrection|Scrying, Greater|Summon Monster VII|Symbol of Stunning|Symbol of Weakness|Word of Chaos
    Spells8=Antimagic Field|Cloak of Chaos|Create Greater Undead|Cure Critical Wounds, Mass|Dimensional Lock|Discern Location|Earthquake|Fire Storm|Holy Aura|Planar Ally, Greater|Inflict Critical Wounds, Mass|Shield of Law|Spell Immunity, Greater|Summon Monster VIII|Symbol of Death|Symbol of Insanity|Unholy Aura
    Spells9=Astral Projection|Energy Drain|Etherealness|Gate|Heal, Mass|Implosion|Miracle|Soul Bind|Storm of Vengeance|Summon Monster IX|True Resurrection
    #SPELLS PER DAY
    PerDay1=5|3
    PerDay2=6|4
    PerDay3=6|5
    PerDay4=6|6|3
    PerDay5=6|6|4
    PerDay6=6|6|5|3
    PerDay7=6|6|6|4
    PerDay8=6|6|6|5|3
    PerDay9=6|6|6|6|4
    PerDay10=6|6|6|5|3
    PerDay11=6|6|6|6|4
    PerDay12=6|6|6|6|5|3
    PerDay13=6|6|6|6|6|4
    PerDay14=6|6|6|6|6|5|3
    PerDay15=6|6|6|6|6|6|4
    PerDay16=6|6|6|6|6|6|5|3
    PerDay17=6|6|6|6|6|6|6|4
    PerDay18=6|6|6|6|6|6|6|5|3
    PerDay19=6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|4
    PerDay20=6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6
    #SPELLS KNOWN
    Known1=4|3
    Known2=5|3
    Known3=5|4
    Known4=6|4|3
    Known5=6|5|3
    Known6=7|5|4|3
    Known7=7|6|4|3
    Known8=8|6|5|4|3
    Known9=8|6|5|4|3
    Known10=9|6|6|5|4|3
    Known11=9|6|6|5|4|3
    Known12=9|6|6|6|5|4|3
    Known13=9|6|6|6|5|4|3
    Known14=9|6|6|6|6|5|4|3
    Known15=9|6|6|6|6|5|4|3
    Known16=9|6|6|6|6|6|5|4|3
    Known17=9|6|6|6|6|6|5|4|3
    Known18=9|6|6|6|6|6|6|5|4|3
    Known19=9|6|6|6|6|6|6|5|4|3
    Known20=9|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|5|4
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems to be working fine. only thing I am wondering is is there a line of code or place where I can tell that a "cure Light wounds" will heal 1d8+(modifier) or do we have to manually put it in each time?

6. Dan

Dan Member

Technically, you have to enter it each time, but let me give you a huge tip:

Don't use automated effects unless they are a headache to track normally (like multiple effects, stat modifiers, or durations). Examples of good effect spells are: Bless, Prayer, Bard Song, Bull Strength, Rage, etc.

For effects that are instantaneous or permanent, I wouldn't use an effect at all. Take your cure light for example. It's much faster to just burn through the spell (hit the checkmarks quickly) and click once on the d8 die in your dice bag. The GM then selects the creature and presses the H key to heal it.

Now, for some spells you might want to make dice macros: http://help.mindgene.com/basics/start-menu/dice
    Set macros for your Cure Light (1d8+5), Cure Moderate (2d8+10) or even Magic Missile (5d4+5). Then whenever you cast the spell, burn it and click the dice macro once. DM manually hurts/heals and you are done.

The effect system is fantastic, but you have to use the right tool for the right job.

7. Dan

Dan Member

Oh, Keyfay,

Would you mind posting that Spirit Shaman into the thread in the User Generated Content forum that talks about modifying the classes file? It's here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=200

That would be great!

8. Keyafay

Keyafay New Member

I added the Favored Soul above along with the Spirit Shaman.

9. Dan

Dan Member

Woo, thanks!