1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Overflowing effects

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Nazzod, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Nazzod

Nazzod New Member

Hello,

It would be great if effects could be placed so as walls would stop them from spreading.
    Eg.: a web placed in a corridor should not overgrew the walls. Overflowing effects.png

Lonewolf147 likes this.
  2. Lonewolf147

Lonewolf147 Member

This would be nice too, especially when you have two hallways right next to each other. The effect doesn't spill into the other hall/room. That's also useful for when you use an effect to select affected tokens. You wouldn't have to deselect everyone in the adjacent spaces.

3. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Right, this is actually on our short list. After we get the feature library launched (next!) we're going to take a pass at rebuilding the template system to use polygons instead of the current render method. Doing so will let effects operate a lot like lights do now -- they won't be able to pass thru a wall.

The tricky part will be that we need to still let you fireball the darkness. Fortunately many, if not all, spells have a component of illumination which can be modeled with this as well. Fireball into darkened area = temporary blast of light!

Think about the scene in pitch black when the dude gets the light going only to really, really regret knowing what was all around him. That kind of thing :)

4. BenMitchell1979

BenMitchell1979 New Member

Would the fireball blast be a movable polygon? Say I cast Light - would I be able to move it down the hall ahead of me and the light source be anchored to it? Or is that best handled by using an invisible token with Public light attached to it (currently how I'm doing it now)?

5. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

So the new feature system already has the ability to move a template each round for an effect with duration. Basically, each round a new decision pops up for the existing effect with the ability to retarget it's location. The retargeting leaves a "copy" of the current placement behind for reference and clears the old one when the new one drops into place.

For a light or other light like thing. A great way to handle that is to give a player a second controlled token for the light source. this token can move independent of the player but be controlled/owned by the player. I use this for scrying eye spells. I drop an eye "creature" with minimal stat info and a light source. The player can then move that eye around the map as per the rules while also keeping their local visibility wherever their player token is.

When we get marker tethering going, this will get even shinier (pun intended)!

Bloodwolf and BenMitchell1979 like this.
  6. BenMitchell1979

BenMitchell1979 New Member

Never thought about the "eye" creature.. Just finished building it out (image = eye of Sauron)!