1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Partial Native Hero Lab Importer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by firebringer, Nov 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. firebringer

firebringer Member

the release notes for 3.7.1.19 mentioned ‘Partial Native Hero Lab Importer’...

Could we get some more detail on what is working in the Importer, what isn’t, and what the future plans are for the Importer?

Apologies if this has already been covered somewhere else.

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

I'll see if I can get @thraxxis to post about it since it's his bit he has been working on.

3. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

@Krillion_GD has a way of tracking me down. ^_^

I will confirm that I've been working on the new Hero Lab Native importer that extracts Creature data directly from Hero Lab's standardized XML format packed inside their Portfolio (.por) files. So it's way more convenient to just target the .por versus having export it to the really long in the tooth (and no longer supported) D20PRO specific XML format that Hero Lab whipped up well before their newer standardized format.

This is a ground up re-write of the importer and I'm really happy how it turned out. The basic architecture is way more mature than the initial attempt (which is like a decade old at this point).

As for % complete and when to expect the first operational version, I'm going to refer all those questions to Owlbear. He and I have also discussed making the HLN code publicly available for review, forking, and even contributions by select, screened individuals, but not until we release the first production version sometime in the coming weeks/months.

Irondeacon likes this.
  4. Ualaa

Ualaa Member

Up until this point, all of my PCs have been fine being imported from Hero Lab.
    I do the characters there, then save in the d20Pro Output, from within HL.

Then go to the creature library, within d20Pro and choose Import.
    The last option, Hero Lab has a file it can see within the folder.
    The other options are looking for a file format which is not there, so I assume the Hero Lab is the importer method.

Monsters and other PCs have been fine up to this point.
    I mean, they import, but with 10s in every stat and resistances are not set, feats are missing, etc.
    But for my purposes, I mainly need saving throws, armor class, attack/damage and hit points to be correct.

My friend's latest PC, which uses spheres of power (which has been fine up to now) would not import.
    He's got several shapechange effects going, so I suspect that is why.
    Within HL, he's a Diminutive Gelatinous Cube...
    Other characters with shape shifts have imported fine.
    Anyway, I just used "create new" and modified the stats that I needed, to get the game values I require.

My error on import is:

Error
    This plugin is invalid. Please recompile it using the latest API and try again.
    Caused by: Unexpected exception
    Caused by: String index out of range: -21.