1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

pathfinder lic and Feature Library

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KainPen, Dec 23, 2016.

1. KainPen

KainPen Member

I just got a chance to read through my email from kick-starter update that was sent out yesterday. I am super glad about official Licences with pathfinder, and some of the stuff mention in the feature library. I wanted to ask a few questions about both.

1.) Pathfinder Licences content, that is starting next year, I am guessing the newer adventure path's and rules will be coming to D20pro as, pathfinder release their new content. I am guessing we can buy these update/AP via the Marketplace correct? I was wondering about older content, will you guys and pathfinder be working on adding pathfinders already published APs, like Rise of the Ruin lords, Carrion Crown, Hell's Vengeance, or will it only be new content going forward?

2.) This is kinda of a question, or maybe a suggestion, if the answer is no.

Will you guys and pathfinder be putting out PDF/instruction/guide on how to use this content. For new adopters, of d20pro/pathfinder APs. Example I am very experiences, with d20pro and pathfinder, So I know how to layer two version of the maps. one with the what pc see and another to raise up for when they find secret doors, or trigger pit traps, ect. (I very glad pathfinder recent AP started to come with digtial maps of both views this made it lots easier for me.) I am used to building all this content from the ground up. So this content for me just helps save me a ton of time on the back-end.

But a one of my player's who is also GM and runs other games, dreads using a VTT's, because of how much work it is on the back-end. So he tends to use very simple VTT which are basically map only displays and character token displays. Even then he dreads having to put that together for the few players has that plays remotely. So he sounds just like the person you are trying to target or you really want to target this content eventually. How does he know what to with these maps since fog of war, creatures ect. will all be setup for him, and layered? How does he know to check for this, ect. This is where a instruction guide would be very helpful to him. If you don't want to do with with every AP maybe you could also do a step,by step version of the pathfinders beginners box content to teach new adapters.

3.)The feature library, this looks like this maybe amazing, add on/ update. I love the giffs you guys have of the auto level up effects and placement of templates. I was wondering if their is away to use this like a bow or thrown weapons? That way player could see their range increments, with said weapons?

4.) Will we be able to copy feature library, from other GM in the community, like the rules Txt and creatures, ect. That way one person could program Spell's A-C and upload it to the boards while another person does spell D-F ect. and does the same. Or are you guys working on programming this stuff to set rule sets? Like in conjunction with pathfinder because of your current partnership?

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Yes, we will be doing already paizo published works as well as new ones on the horizon.

Yes, maps and such will have FOW, Markers and Critters already created for the user/GM.

Several ideas already come to mind for me on this, and yes it will be totally possible.

Yes and no. It is my understanding that you will be able to export things you have done, however, if you gave that asset to someone, they would need to have the exact same ruleset and items you have in order for them to use it. Since the things you make will be based off of rulesets and pieces of splat books you have purchased.

As a theoretical example;
    I have the following (theoretical) items from the marketplace.
    Pathfinder Core Rules
    Pathfinder Players Companion
    Pathfinder unchained

I create something, monster, item, or feature mechanic that is based off of all the items listed. if I exported that and gave it to someone, they as well would need those items from the marketplace.

I hate to use their name specifically, but it's just too good an example. Take Hero Lab, if I build a character and give that to someone else and they don't have the books I used to build that character, HL tells them so and sends them to the marketplace for hero lab.

Josh Scott likes this.
  3. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

There are some limitation to sharing when the Feature Library is involved -- it will have a full export feature, but not for licensed content.

If you export a custom creature using features from licensed content, then those features will not export along with the custom creature. However, the way features work is that they are name->thing triggers, so if the other GM adds licensed content to the version of D20PRO later, the creature will pick up the features when the they're sync'd.

As to coping feature libraries between GM in general, yeah, totally supported. You can create and export libraries of features although we're changing the save format at the moment, so it doesn't work right *now*.

On the content creation side, we're going to be working on various things -- we have a big meeting tomorrow to get our main plan in place; beyond what @Krilion_GD has already indicated. Older content like Rise of the Rune Lords is definitely on our list though.