1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Pathfinder NPC collection

Discussion in 'User Created Content' started by Remaker, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Remaker

Remaker Member

EDIT: Got the hosting issues figured out.

http://www.divshare.com/download/13692195-942

This package contains 20 fully statted and equipped NPCs for each class, fully spanning the level range from 1 to 20. I used the prefab NPC found in the 3E DMG as a guideline, and used the Pathfinder rules set. This should make NPCs as easy as drag-and-drop.

Some notes: All characters are human and use the standard elite array. I followed the DMG 3.0 list for equipment fairly closely. This results in characters with significantly less magical gear than the average PC.

I made no attempt to optimize these characters. They all pick their skills at first level and continue to max them out for the duration of their careers. They used their favored class bonus to learn an extra skill. Spells were selected to give the NPC something interesting to do every round, but are not well optimized. Feats were generally chosen to enhance already existing offensive powers and to shore up traditional weaknesses. If a feat alters a stat (like extra channel or Great Fortitude), those changes have already been factored into the character sheet.

The DMG's choice of equipment was very uneven. Some classes, like the fighter and Rogue, receive a very traditional array of enhancement, resistance, and deflection gear, while other classes, like the Bard, barely show any interest in improving their AC or attacks.

Special class abilities, including custom abilities like rogue talents, are all listed in the description section. Complicated abilities that grow over time are placed at the top, with the appropriate numbers appended onto them. Spell-like abilities and limited use powers (e.g. barabarian rage) are in the abilities tab with the correct modifiers and durations already programmed in.

CMB and CMD have been calculated for each character and are listed in the Quick Notes section, which can be accessed by simply hovering over the character's miniature. These numbers do not reflect situational modifiers that might arise from feats like Improved Trip, so be aware.

This should be considered a tool, not a finished product. While the NPCs play just fine as is, it is intended and expected that most DMs will want to alter them to suit their tastes. Since all the NPCs (hopefully) have the correct number of spells, feats, and skills, it should be very quick and easy to switch these out on a one-for-one basis.

Specific class notes:

Bard: Each use of Bardic Performance in the abilities tab represents one round of use. The bard is unusually under-equipped, presumably because the 3E people hated bards.

Barbarian: Each use of Rage in the abilities tab represents one round of use.

Cleric: I chose the War and Destruction domains. Domain powers can be found in the ability tab, complete with the correct uses per day and effects. Channel Energy (Heal) and Channel Energy (Harm) should both draw from the same pool of uses, but that isn't possible in D20Pro, so think about what you're doing as you mark off uses.

Druid: Wildshape is a super-complicated ability. I wrote a separate power for every combination of size and creature type. The title of each power notes the type, size, and class of powers (e.g. beast shape I, II and III) available to the druid at that specific level. The powers include all of the right stat bonuses but obviously can't account for special powers and attack modes. Elemental wildshaping was too complicated for me to explicitly model, since each combination of element and size results in a different set of stat changes, for a total of 20 possible combinations. Instead, there is a single elemental wildshape entry with an inert effect attached, but the title still contains some useful information.

Wildshaping usually causes a druid to lose her shield and armor bonuses. I made no attempt to model this. You will have to make these changes by hand as the game progresses.

Keep in mind that although each transformation is listed with its own uses per day, in reality, all types of wildshape draw from a common pool.

I created a wolf animal companion for the druid, complete with level advancement from 1 to 20. I didn't create stats other other possible animals, but that is something that I may do one day.

Fighter: This is a generically useful sword and shield style fighter. If you want a different kind of fighter, swap out his feats.

Paladin: I still need to make bonded mounts for the paladin, but I kind of ran out of steam. I'll add one in the next release.

Ranger: This is a two-weapon ranger. I'll probably create an archer version in a later release. If you want the ranger to have an animal companion, use the one provided for the druid (just remember that rangers recieve their companions three levels later than druids).

Rogue: Nothing special. It's a rogue. It works.

Sorceror: I used the arcane bloodline when making this NPC.

Wizard: The wizard is a universalist. I made no attempt to model a reasonable spell book for him. He has every core spell in the game in his book at every level. This makes it easy to quickly alter his spell list to suit the situation. I tried to give him a reasonable mix of offense, defense, and utility at every level, but you might need to do some tweaking on the fly.

The metamagic mastery power is listed in the abilities tab and the uses per day actually refer to the number of spell levels he can add per day.

A hawk familiar has been provided for the wizard, which levels up as he goes.

Things I may do in the future:
    1) If I could start over again, I would have implemented CMD and spell resistance as custom ACs, and combat maneuvers as a custom AC attack. I'll do this is a later release, making sure to stick to bigkilla's conventions so that this pack will be compatible with his Pathfinder bestiary project.
    2) Include an archer version of the ranger
    3) Create a bonded mount for the paladin
    4) Include a few common multiclass combinations. Fighter/Mage and Fighter/Thief show up in almost every module.
    5) Include the new advanced classes

I probably won't do any of these things until D20pro updates a few times. It sounds like we have lots of new features in the works.

I tried to keep this thing error free, but editing several hundred NPCs is pretty hard. IF you find mistakes, let me know so that future versions can be corrected. If anyone wants to use or modify this package in any way, feel free. It's not like I own the idea or anything.

2. cyderak

cyderak Member

Cool......Look forward to Downloading them.

3. Remaker

Remaker Member

Thanks cyderak, but I figured it out. I had never uploaded anything onto the web before, and it turned out to be a lot easier than I expected it to be.

4. ogexam

ogexam Member

One thing that could also be added is with the higher plus weapon to add the damage type they will ignore.

for +4 add cold iron, silver, adamantine as attack types

5. ogexam

ogexam Member

I was in the workings of starting a project just like this one, guess you beat me to it.

6. Remaker

Remaker Member

I've never heard of this rule. Was it added in errata?

Also, something that I should have mentioned earlier...

Pathfinder eliminates concentration as a skill and replaces it with a level check, but I found it more convenient to simulate this with a skill. I made three custom skills in my text file, one for each linked attribute. If you are using the semi-official Pathfinder files found in these forums, you'll probably get some weird results in the skills tab.

7. ogexam

ogexam Member

Yep right in the PRD and rules

8. Remaker

Remaker Member

Huh. I guess you learn something every day. I'll add that to my list of things to do.

9. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

This is awesome! It must have taken a looooong time. Thanks a ton. BTW, I tried downloading but the link page says your account hasn't been confirmed yet.

10. ogexam

ogexam Member

I think one of the reasons Pathfinder added this was to give an incentive to have higher enchantments like in days of past. In 3.5 people would get the +1 then start adding special abilities and you almost never saw just a plain longsword +3, the extra 2 to hit and damage was not as valuable as +1 keen flaming. With the addition of overcoming DR it becomes viable to go with a pure plus weapon.

Oh and then that makes the holy avenger pretty much ignore all DR woot!

11. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

I get the same page. I look forward to being able to download them also :)

Can you describe the weird results?

Are the three custom skills you find useful in your game, the following...
    Concentration: wisdom|WIS|Combat
    Concentration: inelegance|INT|Combat
    Concentration: charisma|CHA|Combat

This is a really good rule, I'm glad Pathfinder included it in the ruleset :)

12. Remaker

Remaker Member

Download should work now. Sorry about the confusion.

edwardcd: I don't know what kind of weird results will happen. I never tested it on a set up that didn't include those skills. The syntax I used was
    Concentration|CHA
    Concentration|INT
    Concentration|WIS

13. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

I would differentiate the three skills or some errors may occur. Try the syntax I used previously.

14. Aralkar

Aralkar New Member

Anybody still have that files ?