1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

PFSRD skills.txt (Actually, probably a skills.txt question)

Discussion in 'User Created Content' started by Knucklehead, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Knucklehead

Knucklehead New Member

Did some searching, but couldn't find a list of attributes for the skills.txt file.

I had a problem someone else had mentioned, importing PC's from Hero Lab with the Pathfinder ruleset, the languages aren't set up, so it d20 graciously tacks them on to the character notes mentioning it couldn't figure out what to do with "Speak Common" or "Speak xxxx" in any event.

Seemed simple enough to just add a line to the pathfinder skills.txt from the PF wiki with an entry like this:
    Code:
    Speak Common|<stat>|<category>
    but it got me thinking...

Can I simply assign any category I want in that file? Could I name it "Languages" or "Public Relations" or "Hotel Management Skills" and it'd be grouped accordingly, or are there predefined categories? (If so, is there a language category?)

Second, could I make a "no roll required" skill by omitting the stat? i.e.
    Code:
    Speak Common||Languages
    So I won't generate a skill with a die roll attached to it?

2. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

Yes to both of your questions.

You can assign any category you'd like and it will be added to the list of skill categories. If you leave the category blank then it will be added to the 'Other' category by default. Secondly, if you want to have no ability score tied to the skill then make sure to put a space in between the pipes (Speak Common| |Languages) instead of simply leaving it empty (Speak Common||Languages).

3. Dan

Dan Member

Oh, and please share any modifications you add to the file. If they work for all PF groups, we will add them to the official skills.txt file.

You can do it using the code feature you already used above.

4. Knucklehead

Knucklehead New Member

Oh, I will for sure. Languages so far seem to be the only ones I've had a problem with. If skills.txt had a description I'd probably add those (or summaries, anyhow) for quick reference.

5. Knucklehead

Knucklehead New Member

Updated the skills with languages found in the PFSRD. List is taken from the Linguistics skill, language names are also found scattered throughout the Race descriptions.

Code:
    Speak Abyssal| |Languages
    Speak Aklo| |Languages
    Speak Aquan| |Languages
    Speak Auran| |Languages
    Speak Celestial| |Languages
    Speak Common| |Languages
    Speak Draconic| |Languages
    Speak Druidic| |Languages
    Speak Dwarven| |Languages
    Speak Elven| |Languages
    Speak Giant| |Languages
    Speak Gnome| |Languages
    Speak Goblin| |Languages
    Speak Gnoll| |Languages
    Speak Halfling| |Languages
    Speak Ignan| |Languages
    Speak Infernal| |Languages
    Speak Orc| |Languages
    Speak Sylvan| |Languages
    Speak Terran| |Languages
    Speak Undercommon| |Languages
    Added it to the skills.txt file and imported a few characters. They imported from Hero Lab export files with a rank of 1 each.

Things to note: "Speak xxxxx" is how HL exports, but in Pathfinder all characters are literate with all their languages (including Barbarians) so while it's a little misleading, it allows skills to be imported without error.

6. mobius125

mobius125 New Member

Cool deal,

I have been too busy to do the same for myself. Has anyone figured out how to get d20Pro to account for the +3 bonus to ranked class skills, outside of assigning a misc +3 modifier each time you import a modified character from HL?

Cheers,
    Groo2

7. Lord Elderon

Lord Elderon New Member

Hi Groo2,

The best way to do it is add it to the 'Misc' area of the skills (within the character sheet). You can try it the same way within Hero Lab prior to the export too. I hope this helps and please let us know.

Best,

Nick

8. Dan

Dan Member

9. Lord Elderon

Lord Elderon New Member

Thanks Daniel.