1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Player Client Error

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by Kaelryk, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Kaelryk

Kaelryk New Member

I've been attempting to run a D&D 3.5 game, but we have a problem. Whenever one of my players tries to attack, they get an error message saying:

This error message displays once whenever you attempt to 'View' the character, and it displays approximately 110 times in a row if you click 'Attack'. Obviously, this is a problem. This same problem occurs regardless of where the charcter is from (stock characters included w/ the game or characters imported from Hero Lab. The only thing that changes is the class name (ie. if you try this with a Cleric, it says Cleric NOT in Classes.txt, etc). I've tried reimporting them, I've tried deleting and readding class levels and weapons, even reinstalling the player client, and nothing fixes this.

Movement, skill checks, saving throws and straight dice rolls do not trigger this error, and I have no problem on my judge client.

2. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well met Kaelryk,

This is curious, as the Player should stream the classes.txt file from the Judge and be consistent. Please provide the following info so we can track this down:

• * What version of d20Pro are you running?
      * What OS is the Player running on?

3. Kaelryk

Kaelryk New Member

We're all running the latest version of d20 Pro (v2.2.0).

Judge running on Win 7 Pro, 2 players on Win 7 Home, 2 on Win Vista Home, all 32-bit versions.

4. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hmm... have you changed the Classes.txt file since you started your campaign?

Please have your affected Player exit d20Pro, delete the d20Pro/player/campaigns folder, and reconnect. Does the problem persist?

5. Kaelryk

Kaelryk New Member

I've altered the classes.txt file on my system to add additional classes. My players installed copies of this file into their copies of d20 Pro. At first I thought that perhaps there was an typo/error in the altered file, but the problem persists even when we put the unmodifed file back in place, or if the player deletes and reinstalls the entire program.

6. Leathermartini

Leathermartini New Member

I have seen this on one player's computer (the others did not see the error) while playing in a Pathfinder game. Then next time she connected, the player had no problems. I suspected at the time it was simply a bad send of the classes.txt file, as I could find no error in her class entry on my machine.

7. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Ok this further information helps. So you provided the modified classes.txt to your players, who then used d20Pro to create their PCs, which they uploaded to you during the game?

Are you as the Judge unable to make attacks with the PC or is it only the Player who is unable to do so?

8. Kaelryk

Kaelryk New Member

Not exactly. I provided the modified classes.txt to my players, but the PCs were created by me locally in Hero Lab, and I uploaded them on my machine, and then broadcast them to my players.

We were all able to attack, but my players got a repeated error in the chat window whenever they attacked. Only the player who made the attack saw the error, but the attack worked normally and everyone else saw the attack and results normally. I never saw any errors or problem on my machine (as the judge). I tried replacing the modified classes.txt with the original, unmodifed file (which I kept as a backup, just in case I needed it, cuz I'm like that :geek: ), but that didn't help. We reverted to the original classes.txt file (even though the modified file looked just fine) on my machine and on my players machines, but no change. My players even tried reinstalling their clients, but that didn't help either.

Since reverting to the original, unmodified file didn't work, I decided to try reinstalling my judge client (when all else fails, drop back and PUNT!). After you pointed out that the classes.txt file streams from my client, I figured that somehow my client must have gotten corrupted, perhaps one of the DAT files (I know some of those DAT files get modifed as you go along, but since I can't read them, I can't tell if they're corrupted for certain).

This seems to have corrected the problem. I'm not sure exactly what went wrong, but things are working fine for everyone now, whether I use the original or a modified classes.txt. Guess we'll have to chalk it up as another 'Great WTF Moment in Tech'! In any case, I appreciate your attempts to help me sort this out. Thanks for your help, Thraxxis!

d20 Pro still rocks!

9. ogexam

ogexam Member

More than likely it was sun spots causing the issue.

10. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well met Kaelryk,

While the engineer in me really wants to explain exactly what caused the SNAFU, I'm really glad things are working again. We'll keep an eye on this bogey as it may crop up again...

This is a great quote:
    There have been many WTF moments for me over the years, both with d20Pro and beyond. Another quote I really like (credit Randy Pausch) is:
    Well, good thing for us pioneers there is DR and healing spells. :geek:

P.S. If you really want to inspect the innards of a .dat file: make a copy, rename the copy to .zip, extract the file inside, rename it to .xml and view...