1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Please make windows remember their last position

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by kaltorak18, Feb 19, 2014.

1. kaltorak18

kaltorak18 New Member

This is extremely frustrating if you have multiple monitors. Could the windows, please, remember their last position and come back up in the same spots instead of always choosing dead center of the main monitor in windows?

My OS is Windows 7 if that helps.

2. Dark Lord Galen

Dark Lord Galen New Member

As this is OVER a year ld hate to NECRO this, BUT..... This feature seems to "mostly exist" would like to see it for the date tracker at the bottom and the various yes / no popups since they tend to land midway between two screens when running monitors extended.

3. kaltorak18

kaltorak18 New Member

I'm sorry to say, the window positioning hasn't changed since I wrote this post. I just checked the beta of 3.4 and there's still the same issue with window placement on multiple monitors.

Steps to reproduce on Windows 7:

1. have 2+ monitors with your desktop extended on the additional display(s).
    2. drag d20Pro to your secondary display (display without the task bar)
    3. drag a token from the library onto a map in d20Pro
    4. edit that token, the popup will appear on the main display
    5. drag the popup to the secondary display and hit ok to close the dialog
    6. UPDATE 7/8/15: This step now works: edit the token again, the dialog will appear on the main display again. SEE NEW POST BELOW FOR UPDATE

This goes for the exit confirmation dialog of the program, plus the new pixels per square dialog on the map creation utility. There are a lot of places this shows up and it's probably the most annoying thing about the program.

4. kaltorak18

kaltorak18 New Member

I saw this in the changelog for 3.4.5:

I do see a few improvements, but unfortunately the listed reproduction steps above are still valid. Editing a creature, moving the dialog box that appears, hitting ok, then editing the creature again causes the 'edit token' dialog to open on the main monitor. It should appear in the last position it was saved in.

In fact, all popups should appear in the same monitor that the d20pro app is running in if they do not have a saved new position (by a player moving them). Right now all windows first appear on the main monitor in Windows 7.

5. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Kaltorak18,

Thank you for originally posting the feature request and reporting the behavior, we have tried to make this a feature in 3.4.5. And since there has been a few reports that it is not working, going to look into this again.

6. kaltorak18

kaltorak18 New Member

Hello Curtis!

No problem. Thank you for looking into it. I appreciate the efforts to alleviate this annoying behavior. I look forward to its resolution :)

7. kaltorak18

kaltorak18 New Member

I hope this does not appear condescending because I do not mean it as such, but might this link be helpful? The solution by Vicky Ronnen on July 22, 2014 looks pretty promising.

Thanks! Again, I do not mean to offend, just trying to help.

8. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well met kaltorak18,

Thanks for submitting these and apologies for not responding sooner. As of v3.4.5 the Edit/View Creature and exit dialog should now appear above the d20Pro window regardless of which monitor it's on.

9. kaltorak18

kaltorak18 New Member

Well met, thraxxis. Please see my previous post. I've included it below for reference:

Please note this was with 3.4.5. I just verified again that editing a creature on 3.4.5 with d20pro on my third monitor causes the edit creature dialog to open on the main monitor. This is on Windows 7 x64 with three monitors. I'll check with two monitors and make a video tonight. Thank you for your continued efforts.

10. kaltorak18

kaltorak18 New Member

Oh, I see. I think I understand what some of the confusion was now. You were thinking I was saying that the windows weren't remembering their positions INSIDE the D20pro app space. That may be true, but I was meaning the D20pro popup windows (such as edit creature windows) that open as new application windows on the computer desktop. I hope that was clear with my reproduction instructions! Sorry for the confusion!

11. Unoeye

Unoeye New Member

I tested the creature edit pop-up window per above on version v3.4.7 and it does seem to work. However, what I really want is for all of the tool windows (roster, library, game log, etc.) to behave in the same manner. I want to be able to fully utilize multiple monitors by simply dragging tool windows and pop-ups to the monitor of my choice. And yes, I would expect them to remember where they were when I login next time. :)

I made a post in the new feature request forum for multiple monitor support and was directed here as a related post.

12. kaltorak18

kaltorak18 New Member

Thanks for pointing out that the initial testing steps now test out ok. There is still a problem though that each creature edit dialog opens on the main monitor each time. Please, can the windows open on the same screen with the d20pro application's main window? See testing steps on v3.4.8 Windows 7 x64 with 3 monitors:

1. have 2+ monitors with your desktop extended on the additional display(s).
    2. drag d20Pro to your secondary display (display without the task bar)
    3. drag a token from the library onto a map in d20Pro
    4. edit that token, the popup will appear on the main display
    5. drag the popup to the secondary display and hit ok to close the dialog
    6. drag a token from the library onto a map in d20Pro
    7. edit that token, the popup will appear on the main display

I will be happy to provide a video of this later if you need.