1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Port Issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arcasus, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Arcasus

Arcasus New Member

I've been playing D20 for about 6 months now and ran into my first issue this morning. My players couldn't connect. I retraced my steps of port forwarding and looking over my firewall to see if any changes had been made. Nothing, everything was the same as it has been. After getting no where I finally called my internet provider to ask questions about my router/internet to see if that was the problem. After about an hour on the phone the customer support rep said that there could be an issue with the port numbers. I changed the numbers and still nothing. Like I said before i have been using the program and I have no clue why is doesn't want to work today. Has anyone else had an issues like this? If so what did you do to fix it.

2. ChrisRevocateur

Unless you pay for a static IP address, your public IP will change every once in a while. Check that and see if it's different that the public IP that your players are trying to connect to.

3. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

In addition to what Chris said, verify that your Port Forwarding in your Router has not changed. If you have your router set to DHCP without assigning a static local address for a specific machine's MAC address then it could have reassigned your Local Machine to a different Local Address that is no longer associated with the port you are trying to use. That scenario cost me 1.5 hours of game time after a power outage. Since then I have the Addresses reserved for specific machines on my network. Also remember that you can only forward ONE PORT to ONE LOCAL MACHINE ADDRESS. If you have the port forwarded to 2 different addresses, it will not work. If you need clarification on what I am referring to, pleas post or PM so I can further assist.

4. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

In addition to what Chris said, verify that your Port Forwarding in your Router has not changed. If you have your router set to DHCP without assigning a static local address for a specific machine's MAC address then it could have reassigned your Local Machine to a different Local Address that is no longer associated with the port you are trying to use. That scenario cost me 1.5 hours of game time after a power outage. Since then I have the Addresses reserved for specific machines on my network. Also remember that you can only forward ONE PORT to ONE LOCAL MACHINE ADDRESS. If you have the port forwarded to 2 different addresses, it will not work. In addition, a newly installed 3rd party firewall can cause havoc like that as well. If you need clarification on what I am referring to, pleas post or PM so I can further assist.