1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Pre-Made D20Pro Maps.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cyderak, Dec 14, 2010.

1. cyderak

cyderak Member

Hey,

Was wondering if Pre-Made D20Pro Maps were still something that might become a reality........

2. ogexam

ogexam Member

How do you define pre-made d20Pro maps?

Are you referring to maps with creatures and data about the encounters all rolled into one? Or are you just referring to empty maps of say a street, an inn, etc.?

3. cyderak

cyderak Member

Pre-Made themed map-packs.

Town Map Pack:
    --INN (Maybe 3 or 4 INN Maps with different floorplans in each one.......populated differently too...... perfectly calibrated to the grid and complete with Bartender, waitresses, and bouncer.)
    --Weapons shop (3 or 4 different floorplans...... proprietors......and guards.)
    --Thieves guild (3 or 4 different floorplans...... guilmasters......and guards)
    --Temple (3 or 4 different floorplans...... clerics......and guards).
    --Magic Shop (3 or 4 different floorplans...... proprietors......and guards)
    --Other misc. buildings populated with appropriate people and objects.......Blacksmith......Wizards tower......Mayor's Manor......5 or 6 citizen-type houses with different floorplans.

Themed Map packs:
    --5 different Dwarven themed maps......dwarven halls.....mines......dwarven magic item & weapons shop.
    --5 different Orc themed maps..........Orc Camp........orc caves.......orc ambush.......
    --5 different Giant themed maps.......Fire Giant keep........Frost Giant Caves......Ogres Camp......

Dungeon Map Packs that are perfectly calibrated to D20Pro and are optimized for use with D20Pro with the perfect resolution........And if at all possible with manipulatable doors that open upon being clicked.......treasure chests that would prompt the GM to pick from a list of mechanical and magical traps if a trap was sprung and then when successfully dealt with would tell the players what treasure are inside. Little things that would just make GM-ing easier and the game experience that much cooler.

Encounter maps withall the data and encounters would be cool too.........Basically pre-made adventures........

Like I said .......whatever time you can cut out of prepareing for the adventure the better......and if your the kind of GM that really loves tinkering with the specifics of an adventure then just bare maps would be right up your alley......If your the GM that loves focusing on the Role Playing aspect then all the pre-made stuff would flip your skirt like its never been flipped before.

I think from a business standpoint that map packs are a nice way to fill the financial void when in between working on the D20Pro core product.
    The posibilities are endless.........As a GM I can easily say its nice to cut down on time consuming busywork

You could offer these maps in two forms:
    1.) As a whole map pack
    2.) The variety Map pack where they get to pick 5 maps from the catalog of maps and pay the "Map Buffet" Price.

Thats all I got right now..........On surgery leave from work and painkillers are kickin in......getting sleepy......sleepy....

Hehehe.....

Later.

4. ogexam

ogexam Member

Sounds like a wonderful idea.

Generic use maps that you always seem to need in any adventure map packs.

5. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

I would love to see an array of available map packs for d20Pro. It would definitely cut down the time I spend doing prep work transforming an existing map to the d20Pro map file. Or, it would add a graphical representation of some role-playing aspects in the game in situations where I just describe an iconic environment (tavern, church, vendor shop, house, etc) and let the players' words describe their actions and communication with my described NPCs in the described environment.

6. cyderak

cyderak Member

Thanks for the backup ed......Glad to see interest.......If everyone shows interest by posting on this thread and letting the D20Pro guys our opinion on the subject then maybe it'll spark somebody into action.

So post your support for this.

7. neofax

neofax New Member

Maybe Mindgene can get in touch with Rite Publishing, Jonathan Roberts and DevnKnight do this type stuff for MapTools for a reasonable price. I am sure they can do the same for d20Pro as the map is already made and importing the token is simple. They would really only need to gen up the NPC's in HeroLab and import the data. Just a suggestion.

8. Lord Elderon

Lord Elderon New Member

Hail fellow gamers,

We are in talks with a few different publishing companies to develop map packs, adventure paths, and more within a d20Pro format for simple plug and play!

Thanks for the heads up on Rite Publishing. I actually know Devinknight and reached out to him on this topic a moment ago.

Out of curiosity, how much would you suggest the designer charge for these packs?

Since this is a new marketplace any input is helpful.

Best regards, happy holidays, and happy gaming,

Nick

9. cyderak

cyderak Member

Theres also:

Inked Adventures
    - Inked adventures.com
    - billiambabble@yahoo.co.uk

Ki Ryn Studios - Zero Hour (Fantasy Maps)
    - http://ki-ryn.com/Zero_Hour/
    - ki-ryn @ insightbb.com

Ki Ryn Studios - Future Armada (Sci-Fi Maps)
    - http://ki-ryn.com/Future_Armada/
    - ki-ryn @ insightbb.com

Ed Bourelle of Mystic Eye Games.

DarkFuries Publishing ( Brian K. Moseley)
    --Sample of their work: http://darkfuries.com/downloads/preview ... review.pdf
    - http://darkfuries.com/ebooks/pi1023.shtml
    - bmoseley@darkfuries.com

0one Publishing
    - http://0onegames.com/catalog/index.php? ... rers_id=11 (sample)
    - http://0onegames.com/catalog/index.php
    - Contact info: http://0onegames.com/catalog/info_pages.php?pages_id=4

Just to list a few........

as for pricing.......check out some of the map packs for sale on drivethrurpg.com and comparitively price your product with some of the map packs for sale on their site.

Later.

10. Dan

Dan Member

11. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

I'd say a fair price per (hi-res) detailed map would be between $2 and $3 - depending on map size and complexity. And, if purchasing as a package (instead of individually), there should be a slight discount. Thus if a map pack had 5 maps, a reasonable price for me would be between $8 and $12 - depending on map sizes and complexities. It would also be good if purchasing multiple individual maps (a-la-carte : not as part of a package) from the same map publisher a buy four - get one free purchase rate.

In addition to, or something that can be added is characters/creatures, full with graphic and all character details/skills/feats/abilities/attacks/etc to immediately implement in a d20Pro game. These can be supplemental to the map. I could see paying $0.20 per unique pre-made character or creature, ready-to-use d20Pro character in a "Character Supplement to Map [insert map name here] [game system]". This way you can purchase the character supplement to match the game system you are using, such as 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, pathfinder, or other game system.

12. cyderak

cyderak Member

Could buy the characters and they could be delivered in an e-mail preloaded to a small "Character Tray" Map file.

Could also sell Pre-made Monster pack all fleshed out with details and such.
    -Orc Packs
    -Giant-kind Packs
    -Drow Packs

Could also do NPC Packs:
    - INN Characters
    - Castle populous Pack
    - and so on.........

13. hawkwind

hawkwind New Member

I have been using Skeleton games map tile pdfs to create generic wilderness areas using map tile options in D20pro.The tiles come in a 45 by 30 foot size so it doesn't take make a map.

14. hawkwind

hawkwind New Member

15. cyderak

cyderak Member

http://www.danshost.com/maps/index.htm does have alot of very cool maps.........they would be that much cooler perfectly calibrated to D20Pro with fully fleshed out NPC's or Monsters included.

16. hawkwind

hawkwind New Member

I am very tempted to Run the classic Deserts of Desolation series using the maps on the site, converted to pathfinder of course!

17. ogexam

ogexam Member

Map packs of basic areas is being looked into... so maybe after the first of the year there will be some for sale.

How much are you the user willing to pay per location (inn, temple, city gate, general store, magic shop, camp site, etc.) The locations would have any NPCs or sample monsters(in the case of camp sites).

Also is there an interest in just NPCs precreated like:
    Fighter pack: different style of fighters through many levels, that can be used as NPC or generic town guards
    Mage pack: different mages of different levels
    Cleric Pack: clerics, acyolytes, etc.
    Rogue Pack: ...
    If so how much would you be willing to pay per creature in the pack?

18. cyderak

cyderak Member

I guess it would depend on how elaborate the map is......

Something like a magic shop I would think would go for $3.00 considering it is only one room with a proprietor and maybe 5 or 6 variant guards ......again depending on how elaborate of a map it is.
    The same would go for any other merchant-type map........for example: Temple, General Store, Constables office......

Again the INN would depend on the size..........One room hole-in-the-wall populated with 5-15 patrons, a bar keep, a bouncer and waitresses fully fleshed out with char. stats probably would go for $3.00....If you sold that same INN with a couple(3-5) different layouts and furniture you could sell the "Sleezy Bar Pack" for $5.00 to $7.00.
    A Nice INN bigger in size with 15-25 Patrons, INN Keeper, Bouncers, and waitresses with char. stats could go for $5.00........A "NICE INN MAP PACK" with 3-5 different layouts and furniture you could sell for $7.00 - $9.00.

A Camp Site map pack could come with..... 5 movable blanket objects, campfire, and general small opening in a forest map for campsite. Could also include that same campsite map in a variety of pre-made encounters with CR's of 1 - 10....So that wouldbe 10 different Campsite maps in addition to the generic Campsite map........Because thats 11 maps(Generic Campsite map and 10 encounter campsite maps levels 1-10 CR's) you could get $10.00 - $15.00.

NPC packs would be awesome......

Mage Pack: 20 different Mages.......levels 1....2....3...4...5...6...7...all the way to level 20 fully stat-ed out and ready to just pick and place right into an adventure. With spells list and the amount of magic items they get, Mages should probably go for $6.00 to $9.00.
    Cleric Pack: 20 different Clerics.......levels 1....2....3...4...5...6...7...all the way to level 20 fully stat-ed out and ready to just pick and place right into an adventure. With spells list and the amount of magic items they get, Clerics should probably go for $6.00 to $9.00.
    Fighter Pack: 20 different Fighters.......levels 1....2....3...4...5...6...7...all the way to level 20 fully stat-ed out and ready to just pick and place right into an adventure. $5.00 to $8.00.
    Every other class would just mirror the Fighter Pack in pricing.........The best bet would be to stick with the core classes at first and then add the others like alchemist and summoner later.......

I reference Pathfinder classes because thats the system I play........obviously because 4th edition TIED Pathfinder for sales this last year they would get the same NPC pack treatment........I guess......Hehehehe.

If anyone has any advice on how to tweak the pricing or package the maps and NPC packs to be more on-track with what they think would be a more fair price or packaging arrangement post your ideas here.

Later.

19. Tharck

Tharck New Member

I'd say avoid packs (generally give more than someone really wants) and just go with 1 buck per map. (People really dont mind spending a buck here and there)

As for the Class packs those likely wouldn't do as well. Are they core only, splat books, MiC, spell compendium spells.. ect.

I think some item packs though might do well. DMG items, MiC items, ect. Complete with visuals for each object and full descriptions and weight as well as a Page number to refrence. Those I could see from 2-5 bucks.

20. cyderak

cyderak Member

I think the class packs would do just fine.......Can't hurt to put it up for sale.....doesn't cost anything to try.......

Probably wouldbe rolled up only out of the core books.....if anyone wants to juice the char. any more than that, its up to them.

Item packs would be cool........I'm all for it.