1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Preentered d20Pro Content, Campaign

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ogexam, Aug 18, 2010.

?

How much for a full campaign (30 to 50 maps)

1. $12 to $18

12 vote(s)
    16.4%
  2. $19 to $25

39 vote(s)
    53.4%
  3. $26 to $32

18 vote(s)
    24.7%
  4. $33 to $40

9 vote(s)
    12.3%
  5. $41+

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  6. Same price as the campaign

8 vote(s)
    11.0%
  7. Other

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ogexam

ogexam Member

We would like to know how much users would be willing to pay for an entire Campaign/Adventure Path to be preentered into d20Pro.

This would be the maps, creatures, and handouts. They would be zipped up and all a user would need to do is unzip them into the campaign folder and then when they start the judge version it will be listed as a campaign to select.

A person would still need the module itself to be able to run the module since that is where the story data will be contained.

This poll is for a campaign. All of medium length modules of a seires like Rise of the Ruin Lords, Age or Worms, The Shackled City, etc.

If you select other please reply with what the other would be.

2. jrthom1

jrthom1 New Member

My group is playing Age of Worms now (We are in Module 2). I would definately pay for a d20PRO version of it. We played Savage Tide before Age of Worms.

3. mbaum

mbaum New Member

My game starts in about 3 week’s time and if you did a Pathfinder Kingmaker adventure path you could get a $100 from me (I’m Lazy). I would normally pay considerably less but I’ve left it for the last minute again.
    I’m afraid to ask what exactly is other in the form of payment is (dinner, movie, date with girlfriend, pot). I think I’ll stick to cash. :)

4. neofax

neofax New Member

Depends on exactly what is included as many AP's do not have every area mapped out. So if I am only getting what the PDF shows, then probably 20-30 as I can do this myself. If however the maps for the non existing encounters are professionally done in the same or similar style as the AP, then 40 seems reasonable. Also, other than the tokens (which I would hope are top down affairs and not round pogs from the bestiary), what can I expect? DM notes? Traps/Hazards/Haunts? Lighting and such? Basically, how much effort do I need to put in after the purchase?

5. ogexam

ogexam Member

How detailed depends on a few factors: one being what the publisher of the adventure will allow to be in the d20Pro files, and what they require to remain in their modules.

The goal would be that the DM would be able to play the adventure 'right out of the box' without any need to do any work to run the main campaign, save PCs that would still be required for the DM to do. Though some campaigns have pregens, and if it does those would be included.

I would also think it would be a good idea to put in the extra non-mapped parts. For instance generic general store, alley, a couple inns, black smith shop, random woods, etc. That always crop up in a campaign even if you are not set for an event there, you almost always end up in a bar fight. Or items like that can be released in their own packages for DMs to have ready built locations.

6. Fraust

Fraust New Member

This is just the rules content and what not...stat blocks and treasure? Maybe I'm cheap, but I would say around 20. I understand intering all that data in would be quite a bit of work...but at the same time, once the job is done, it's done. For the modern Paizo adventure paths, mid twenties sounds good (note, this is for Paizo APs...not some third party adventure). As for AoW or ST I would say low thirties would be prefered, but I would pay as much as say thirty six.

Granted, this is partially due to the amount of changes I make to an AP. No named NPCs villians stay as they are. There's always at least a reworking of feats/spells/equipment/spells...though most it's full class changes. So the proposal here would save me a lot of time by, for example, making a creature file for bob the BBEG, villian of Everyone Hates Bob (Paizo's newest AP)...I would still be spending time going through and making changes...so yeah, if you guys developed psychic abilities, and managed to convert all the NPCs to how I would...then we could talk 41+.

7. kelendros

kelendros New Member

I feel that you should approach companies and add digital versions into the hard copy of their module line, I am sure they will raise the price by a few bucks but it would draw in people who know nothing about d20pro...I would make them available online and use a code to redeem them or purchase them for roughly half of the module price.

Alternately I believe that you could incorporate a much stronger "campaign tool" into the game to enable you to completely author the entire campaign in D20 pro. A tree structured program that could hyperlink to encounters, and handouts would be extremely beneficial. As well you should look at Kyle's Combat Manager http://www.combatmanager.com/. I love this program and its functionality when I drag and drop monsters in for the party to fight it figures things like CR and XP totals, allows me to look up rules, and generate treasure and items with very little effort. I believe that some of the best role playing is done on the fly and this allows my players much more freedom in the game.

I feel that the ability to check the CR and XP reward alone would be valuable, Have it do the math every time you put a creature on the map, and even possibly award it to their character (and make it so you can add ad-hoc xp for story and such as well). Then possibly have this communicate to Herolabs eventually.

Since its open source you could even add a rules database so the GM can look up the rules and even show them to the players through the handout window. Once again I would get with Kyle and see if maybe he would like to work with you his system is awesome...check it out http://www.combatmanager.com/

8. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

I have to agree with a few of the others here, Modules rarely actually provide solid content and I find myself mostly unable to use them because other than offering a meager story line, they rarely provide enough detail or account for what the party actually does in the game. Parties tend to branch off main story elements and do things that are not accounted for in the module. Likewise, most of not all NPCs in modules usually have to be reworked, as 90% of the time they are poorly constructed.

I'd much rather see d20pro dev team dedicate their time to expanding and refining good solid tools for us to manage our games, than waste resources on something that good GMs need little to no help with and that is story line ...

9. guildmaster

guildmaster New Member

I would be willing to shell out a little bit of money for say like A complete Adventure Path content in a d20pro format if they had high res maps of all the areas that look nice and fit nice in d20pro. I would also like them to contain top down tokens for all the monsters/npcs in the Adventure Path. It would also contain the handouts that are given to the players. I wouldn't pay as much as the module itself because I would already be buying the modules of the Adventure Path.

10. kelendros

kelendros New Member

A good DM is prepared ahead of time.... A great DM doesn't need to prepare