1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Preentered d20Pro Content, Module

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ogexam, Aug 18, 2010.

?

How much for a Full Modules (10 to 15 maps)

1. $3 to $5

19 vote(s)
    24.7%
  2. $6 to $9

39 vote(s)
    50.6%
  3. $10 to $12

23 vote(s)
    29.9%
  4. $13 to $15

11 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Same Price as the module

7 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. Other

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ogexam

ogexam Member

We would like to know how much users would be willing to pay for a module to be preentered into d20Pro.

This would be the maps, creatures, and handouts. They would be zipped up and all a user would need to do is unzip them into the campaign folder and then when they start the judge version it will be listed as a campaign to select.

A person would still need the module itself to be able to run the module since that is where the story data will be contained.

This poll is for a module, something that takes characters through a few levels, Good examples of these would be Rise of The Ruin Lords Chapter 6 Spires of Xin-Shalast http://paizo.com/pathfinder/v5748btpy817c

You can make two selections in this poll.

If you select other please reply with what the other would be.

2. hawkwind

hawkwind New Member

I would rather buy a new original module packaged with the D20pro files similar to the Kobolds Revenge Module which I think is agood module that highlights the strengths of D20pro

3. cyderak

cyderak Member

Is this concept looking like a reality or laid to the wayside?

4. ogexam

ogexam Member

This will become a reality. We are working on d20Pro parts now, plus talking to content creators.

5. cogollo

cogollo New Member

I hope you come up with some modules for d20Pro. That would be a big boost to a tool that already seems great.

What kind of modules do you plan on publishing?

Are you in conversations with Paizo or Wizards (or other publishers) to make ports of their modules (or Adventure Paths in the case of Paizo) to use with d20Pro?

6. JefA

JefA New Member

i have bought all the maps and the kobold mod from the website
    I would certainly buy Pathfinder adv modules in d20pro...i already buy them in pdf and find that importing everything into d20Pro for use is one of the biggest problems.. and benefits of d20pro

A problem because it takes me so much time to create and install all the maps and npc's
    A Benefit because i know the module much much better by the time i have imported it. Usually i kinda freewheel from the basic plan of a module and let the players go where they want...this brings em back to a more on rails approach.. mind the reason i get every map i can.. and have imported the excellant beastiary is so i have "An Orc Village" or a ravenlands map to use in emergency ...or of course sme nice caverns from hobolds revenge

7. AEIOU

AEIOU Member

This is a trick question. :)

If the QUALITY of the pre-entered content is the same as the printed content, I might pay for it. But if I still need to tweak things or the images aren't right, forget it. I'll just do it myself.

That said...
    If you have Hero Lab, it's fairly easy to create the monsters and NPC's (assuming that hasn't already been done).
    If you have the PDF of an AP, it's fairly easy to copy and paste the map, do the math to size it and import it.
    If you have the time, it's not rocket science to create maps, but that's time that you could spend doing something else....

However, if you don't have both HL with community-made stuff and a PDF to copy/paste maps and images from, the idea of pre-entered content becomes much, much, MUCH more appealing.

In February, I spent a few hours working on the Smuggler's Shiv module -- and then something happened and I lost all my prep work.... I only recently got over that trauma and have redone my work...again. The creatures and NPC's were already done (without portraits) for HL by the community. I spent quite a bit of time on the artwork for each creature and NPC. More time on the maps I could copy from PDF (those are simple now that I know how). And I'll spend a bit more time on fog-of-war for a few of the maps. Finally, I spent a bit of time searching out or creating from scratch the handful of maps that were not included (like the beach or a random bit of jungle). I'm a perfectionist so I've invested way too much time already....

Another thing to consider is the lower the price, the more people will download. Steam game sales for PC's or $0.99 pricing for phone apps show this to be a very successful model where they make their money from the volume.

8. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

I have to agree with some parts of what AEIOU said.. The crux will be pricing, as too high and most will just stick to doing things themselves. I also agree in lower price means more volume and thus profit...

Personally, even with HL I find myself spending more time fixing the HL imports than if I had just entered the item myself. I ditched the one map/monster import for PF for just that reason. I'd rather add creatures as I go along and know they are correct than having to double check every creature before I use it to know it is right.

Not really trying to knock the idea.. just saying that it's gonna be a tough cookie for alot of people.. it will be tough to get pricing and quality that will appeal to large groups of people.. also keep in mind that a lot of GMs will be leary simply due that players will be able to get the module as well and thus break the game.. which is the problem with modules at their root, no matter the media.

honestly, I'd much prefer tile and token sets be made.. I'd gladly pay for those.. far better and more easily than actual modules...

just my 2 coppers of course..

9. AEIOU

AEIOU Member

Tile and token sets are a great idea. Especially if they are reusable.

I'd like a complete, consistent, reasonably priced creature icon collection. Square or round. One graphic per creature is preferred. Perhaps 2-3 different background color options. Something that looks good on the standard AP or Dundjinni map.

I'd like a matching character icon collection. Same art style as the creatures.

I'd like some tables, rowboats, barrels, crates, chests, carts, etc. Generic placeables that are common in fantasy settings. Things that I can just put on any map, resize to fit and able to move around. Same art style as above for consistency.

I don't need them now, but I'd love to see the above also created for horror/Cthulu, sci fi, western, modern, etc settings.

The hard part is that it takes time to create good art. I want the full set NOW, not trickling in as it gets completed (because I never know IF it will get completed).

Lastly and most importantly, if I invest in a graphics set whether it be icons or maps, I want to make sure it is transportable. Provide JPG and PNG files as well so we can continue reusing the graphics in whatever way we want. If the format is proprietary, it will make me much more hesitant -- I've been burned too many times when a program is no longer supported and all of my work becomes obsolete.

10. RobinsonT

RobinsonT New Member

Would be nice to see more Modules and content for sell. My group does not have alot of free time on our hands and when we do we would rather spend it gaming. Being able to buy premade adventures would be a huge help.

11. elyssaria

elyssaria New Member

I would also like to see more premade modules done....

I am actually starting to think that I will undertake the hideous idea of converting The Slumbering Tsar into a D20Pro campaign :p Almost 1000 pages of adventure. I will see how that ends up when my players have gotten their characters to lvl6-7 which is the pre-req for The Slumbering Tsar.

/Elyssaria

12. mercury00

mercury00 New Member

I'm creating a castle, with three dungeons each 9 levels deep. The dungeons in my game are story-heavy, however, the maps themselves can easily be used for a dungeon crawl module, or to tell the story including traps, puzzles (every level is a puzzle to get to the next one), journals to read from past inhabitants, etc.

The idea is that the castle will become a stronghold from which a guild will hand out quests to the players to complete, in the form of monster-of-the-week episodes, like your tv shows do (think x-files, supernatural, or fringe). The castle has to be cleared out first though, ie the 3, 9-level dungeons.

I'm posting this information because, I use dundjinni, with many very pretty tiles, and because of this, I can't sell the work (I don't own the rights to the tiles I'm using).

So I can only give it away for free, but rather than hand out a bunch of plain maps, I thought I'd module them up with FoW, items, notes, creatures, and the like and help it to promote the use of d20pro. I like the idea of d20pro not including any modules on install, but allowing you do go download what you actually need to play via the marketplace. You get a smaller initial install, so that's easier esp. for 'guests' or non-dm players, and you get exposed to all the other cool stuff on the market as it comes available, so, win-win in my thinking. What do you all think?

13. Coopernicus

Coopernicus Member

14. Nilram the Grey

Nilram the Grey New Member

If the quality is as high as the print version of the module, I'd pay $50+ per module without blinking an eye. The quality has to be high though and all the creatures/NPC's outlined must be entered as part of the package. I know I will not be representative of the general populace. Why that much? Every member of my gaming group is a successful professional. We would have no issue donating $25 each to the pot for 4-5 sessions of gaming (what it takes to complete the average module). That is super cheap entertainment. That is one tank of gas and right now we drive hours just to play face to face because it takes too much time to setup a typical VTT to actually work right with good content. I'd estimate we spend more than $300 dollars as a group on gas alone to get through a single module.

We'd also be happy to pay similar amounts of money to get each Bestiary entered for Pathfinder as well as things like the NPC Codex.

15. jmckid

jmckid New Member

I agree with Nilram - I do a lot of world building in my campaigns so the Bestiary is more of a priority for me - I like to be able to grab any creature on the fly if I let the story take an unexpected twist.

I would happily pay $30 - $50 per Bestiary to save the amount of work I am doing entering them now :) but they would have to be correct and kept up to date as d20pro is improved to accommodate all of the Pathfinder monster stats that it doesn't currently support properly.

16. KennethJordan

KennethJordan New Member

The only factor I would need to know is if the tokens are top down or portrait. My group personally doesn't like portraits for tokens and I have bought token art in the past that didn't specify only to be disappointed.

17. rippler

rippler New Member

Like the guys above I would happily pay 30-50 per module for a fully integrated d20pro file that included all necessary text.