1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Problems with local connection

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by evildmguy, Aug 10, 2014.

1. evildmguy

evildmguy New Member

I purchased d20 to use locally with a projector and I can't get my other local computer, for the players, to connect consistently. When it does connect, it's very slow, at best. What happens is that on my judge computer, I see that the other computer has connected. On the other computer, though, it spins and spins on the connect page and maybe it connects but most of the time I get the error screen.

"Error reconnecting to server (192.xxx.xxx.xxx:10101).

Details: Choose a different alias because 'Party10' is already in use.

If you just bounced your Player, it may take a few seconds for the Judge to recognize this. Try again in a few of seconds."

I don't know why it won't connect, stay connected and be really fast since it's a local connection. I try connecting as my d20 login (vislor) and a guest and both work the same way. It just doesn't connect or stay connected.

I'm using Win8 as my judge PC, Win7 as my player PC.
    Java: 1.7.0_65 the player PC and java 1.7.0_67 on the judge PC.
    (What other information is needed?)

What else can I try? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

edg
    aka vislor

2. KainPen

KainPen Member

what are you use for your local connection Wifi or LAN cable? This is not over the internet correct. Also what are the size of your maps \hard drive space they are taking up? are all drivers on your computer up to date? are both version of JAVA the same. Are both 64bit. you could be having ram issue with both computers. due to large maps. When I run games at my house I don't hit any lag until It hit a map that is is over 60megs in size png.

how much ram does your machine have and what about ram on video card? is your os 64bit version of windows? if all your system resources are devoted to loading maps and kill your connection. default for d20pro is 32bit java and running the 32.bit exe of d20pro has memory limitations. install 64bit java from java. then run d20pro in 64bit

for how to run 64bit version this is a bat file in the d20pro folder. called d20Pro-64.bat. this will start 64bit version but with default memory size you can change it by right clicking that bat file and pressing edit. changed it to below. this will up it use 1.5 gigs of ram.

@echo off
    setlocal

REM By default, we locate java in the path.
    REM If you do not have a valid 64bit JRE found first in the path
    REM then update the below with a full absolute path to a javaw.exe
    set JAVA=javaw

start %JAVA% -Xmx1512m -Dsun.java2d.ddoffscreen=false -Dsun.java2d.noddraw -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -jar d20Pro.dat

then save it and run the bat file, it will start d20pro in 64bit you can replace your short cut with short cut to the bat file and even change the icon of the short cut to match the normal d20pro icon.

if you are using wifi this tend to be the real issue with most lag, face it wifi is nice but it is unreliable and is interfered with very easily, the number of people on a wifi can kill the speed and connection. I am network admin at my job. I see wifi issue come up all the time, and cause problems that are easily fixed with lan connection. There is nothing for direct connection via lan cable. Any VIDEO GAMER will tell you this you don't want to be playing Halo or any other high speed based game over wifi, it just cause to much lag. The same two computers I use at my house for gaming I have no problems with the connection dropping, because I have two wifi routers in my house bridged together via cable, so my whole house is covered equally with N based wifi. but when we take them to my friend house for game over their because distance from router it drops to speeds slightly below G based wifi but well above B. We get lag and dropped connection all the time. Also frequent drop connections over wifi is a sign your wifi router may be going bad. That is more then likely your issue if you are using wifi. Try if you can try taking your wifi router in the same room as computers just for testing and see if you get you don't need internet for wifi to work. you can even try direct lan connection if router has the ports and is not wifi only. If it works well on lan after the move and and not wifi your wifi is going out and i would suggest getting new one. If it works well in wifi, then you know you have a range problem. then you can look into other option of extending it. such as extenders, running cable to close room and installing another router like it did and so on.

3. evildmguy

evildmguy New Member

Thanks for the reply!

A few more notes.

I am doing this over wifi. Mostly. The player computer is wired to the router, the host computer is wifi. I'm as close as I can be to the router, so while wifi would be slower, it should still be reasonable in it's speed.

(I agree with speed connections and wifi and would prefer everything be LAN. I am probably close enough that I could try wiring my laptop to the router and try it that way.)

I have a gaming laptop and desktop, so both have 6G RAM minimum. Video cards have 1.5G and both computers have two video cards.

My maps were small in terms of size. I think ~ 5M at most. They are CC3 maps output as JPG as big as I could make it and still only 5M. I will try a smaller map, though, to check this out.

I did not run the 64 bit versions and I might try that. I also didn't do a clean reboot and that could have affected it as well. Good thoughts!

Again, thanks for the ideas! I will have to test them when I get home. Also, any more thoughts are welcome!

Thanks!

edg

4. evildmguy

evildmguy New Member

:shock: :?

I came home and tried again. I did try and get java 64 bit working but didn't so just tried it. And it worked?? and !!

So, not sure what the frack happened but I have now connected several days in a row with no problems. If I did make a setting change to make it work, I don't know what it was.

Thanks for the help!

edg