1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Raw Maps.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bigkilla, May 31, 2010.

1. bigkilla

bigkilla Member

OK, I have a question, i have been foolin around making a few maps with the create raw map option. My question is where are those maps stored? I cannot seem to find them anywhere, I would like to be able to go in after I make them and edit them with gimp or something to add extra features.

2. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

With a "raw" map you have two options:

Either paint each tile, of your map, with the graphic you want to use, or
    Use one graphic to "Fill" the entire map area (If you have images you want to use, this is the option you want).

Either way, you use the "Draw Tools"; and you will have to first import your image.

Alternately, you could have started your map with the "Create Map, from File" option. Which would then give you the ability to pull in the map you wanted to use.

3. bigkilla

bigkilla Member

Yeah I was just do some freeform maps with the paint a tile deal and was looking to use like a pencil draw option from gimp to draw in some stuff,because to the best of my knowledge that option is not in d20pro. So I guess that idea is out. Thanks.

4. Dan

Dan Member

MS paint works fine for simple line drawn maps.

Maps are stored in the d20pro\dm\res\FLR folder. The dm\res (think resource) folder holds all of your images for maps, creatures (CTR) and items (ITEM).

If you place the maps in there ahead of time, they become part of your library. I suggest determining their dimensions before you place them and rename them to include those dimensions. For example, if I have a 1200x800 pixel map and I want it to be about 50 pixels per square, it would be a 24x16 map. I might name it to ForesPath_24x16. Then I can create a Raw map, set the dimensions to 24x16 and then use the Manage Tiles tool to browse to my map and then FILL command (bottom of the window) to fill the map.

This method is more involved than the Create from File command, but it also allows for greater control of the image library (supports subdirectories) and also lets you use map images several times without re-importing. It's the method I prefer if I have the time and I'm not importing a map on the fly.