1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

[Resolved] Cannot import character from Hero Lab

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by c873788, May 14, 2010.

1. c873788

c873788 New Member

Hi,

I have just purchased Hero Lab because both products advertised the fact that you can import characters from Hero Lab. I have started running a pathfinder campaign and believed the ability to import the characters from Hero Lab would save me alot of time. Unfortunately, importing from Hero Lab does not seem to work for me. :(

The user manual instructions from Hero Lab seem straight forward:
    "d20Pro Support
    Hero Lab supports virtual tabletop software d20Pro. To export your character into d20Pro, open the "File" menu and choose "Output Extensions -> d20Pro Output". You can then use the "Import" button in d20Pro to import the hero."

Naturally, I have done this. I then try to import when in d20pro and get the following error:
    "Unable to import from C:\HeroLab\Portfolios\pathfinder\gregor2.hld20pro
    Unable to load document"

Please help. I can't work out what the problem is. I have tried different file extensions, no file extensions, different characters etc all to no avail. What am I doing wrong?

On another note, I noticed that Hero Lab supports character creation for the new pathfinder classes that were in beta testing - Summoner, Witch etc. Is there any chance they could be made available in D20pro? I have already downloaded the pathfinder files into the appropriate D20pro subdirectory to give my version of d20pro the pathfinder ruleset and it works well. Now if I could only get the new classes...

Thanks in advance,

Paul

2. ogexam

ogexam Member

Re: Cannot import character from Hero Lab

The fix to the HL import issue is in testing right now.

A new build will be out soon

3. c873788

c873788 New Member

Thanks for the feedback Ogexam.

Just to clarify. Will the fix be made on D20pro's side or with Hero Lab? In other words, will I be looking to get the latest update of Hero Lab or D20pro?

4. ogexam

ogexam Member

Actually on both ends.

I have the d20Pro side fixed and is in testing.

Working with HeroLabs on their end.

Once are end is out, I will post some fixes you can do to the export files to get them to import until HeroLabs gets their fixes in.

5. dragonlady

dragonlady Member

Yes, it is rather disappointing for this to have been broken by the most recent update. Hopefully the fix is coming soonish!

6. JoeMoustache

JoeMoustache New Member

Having same issue can't import character from Herolab. Any update on this?

7. ogexam

ogexam Member

We are in the final testing stages.

The new version should be out soon

8. c873788

c873788 New Member

I tried loading a character into D20Pro from HeroLab last night and it worked. :mrgreen: Thanks for your efforts in sorting out this bug.

9. ogexam

ogexam Member

You are welcome.