1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

[Resolved] Cannot register

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rogerkernsmith, Sep 12, 2009.

1. rogerkernsmith

rogerkernsmith New Member

Hi.

I recently installed d20pro intending to check it out in trial mode. When I start it and click "register" and then submit my info I get the following error statement.

Unable to connect.
    Caused by: Error decrypting handshake response.
    Caused by: HandshakeRequest msg has expired. Expired at: Sep 13, 2009 2:40:58 PM. Please make sure your clock is set to the proper time. The server's current time is: Sep 13, 2009 2:25:58 PM.

I have a functioning net connection (I am using it now) and the time on my PC is set correctly. What can I do to fix this?

Roger

2. Dan

Dan Member

Re: Cannot register

Hello Roger,

I'm forwarding this to our developer who works with the registration system and we will get you an answer very soon.

3. Glav

Glav New Member

Hello Roger,

While the error message is a little misleading (it's not reporting the client side time when the message was created), the problem here appears to be that your computer's java runtime is not reading the correct time. This can be from one of two reasons (that I know of):

1) The time on your PC is not set properly. You say that this is not the case, but if your clock was different from the server's clock by more than 15min, you'd see this error.

2) Some versions of java on some operating systems have known issues properly determining the time. I know that Vista had problems along these lines using some java versions less than 1.6, but I'm not sure off the top of my head which other combinations had issues.

So - if you've double checked that your clock is accurate, can you please let me know which operating system you're running on and which version of java you are using? I can then see if this is what's going on, or see if something else is afoot. Alternatively, you can try installing the latest 1.6 java JVM and using that to see if it fixes the problem.

I'm sorry for this inconvenience - and thank you for your assistance in helping us troubleshoot this problem. I hope we can figure out a simple solution.

4. baraccus

baraccus New Member

Just before Christmas I downloaded the D20pro including the DM trial to try and see what it was all about and whether I could run my Pathfinder Campaign, that I will be starting in early Feb, on it. Shortly after I installed it, my computer crashed and I was forced to rebuild it. Between Christmas and New Years I re-installed D20pro on my new system and tried to log in so that I could purchase the licence for DM's, however now I can't log in (it gives me an error "invalid credentials"), and I can't register either as when I enter my user name, it gives me the following message;

Unable to register.
    Username 'baraccus' is already taken.

When I try to use a different username it gives me this message;

Unable to register.
    Email [email='xxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxx.ca]'xxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxx.ca[/email]' is already registered to a different account.

I have e-mailed two different accounts a few times since to resolve this with no response. What am I doing wrong? I purchased the licences for Hero Lab specifically for a program that is quickly becoming completely useless to me. Time is running out for me to get this all up and running in time for my campaign. Please Help!!

Signed
    Frustrated like you wouldn't believe.

5. Dan

Dan Member

Hello Baraccus,

It sounds like you have typed in the wrong password for the account you initially created. That's why you are getting the Invalid Credentials notice and cannot create an account with that username. Try a couple of other passwords to see if they work (using your baraccus username).

In the meantime, I'm forwarding this to our account management person and he should be able to help you reset your password.

6. baraccus

baraccus New Member

I would really appreciate the assistance as I have tried every code I can think of that I might have used, and I can't figure it out.

Thanks Dan.

7. Dan

Dan Member

I've sent the email. I assume that you need access for your game this weekend. As a quick stop-gap solution, you might want to create a new account using another email address and sign up for a 30 day trial (they are fully functional). Just use a friend's email if he/she doesn't mind. We don't spam and it will get you into the game if time is short.

8. Glav

Glav New Member

Baraccus,

First off, I apologize on the delay getting back to you.

Secondly, I have reset your account's password to a temporary one that you can use to access your account. Once logged in, you can change this password to one of your choosing via the "Manage Account" button. The ability to change your password was added in version 2.0.3, so make sure that you've upgraded to at least 2.0.3 to be able to do this.

I have emailed this temporary password to the email address that is registered to your Baraccus account. Please let me know if you do not receive this email or if you have any further problems accessing your d20Pro Live account.

Good Gaming.

--Glav

9. baraccus

baraccus New Member

Awesome!! I'm in. I have purchased the licences that I wanted and all is good.

Thank you so very much for dealing with this so quickly. :)

10. Syllus

Syllus New Member

This exact same issue is happening to me as well. It works fine on my desktop (which is running windows 7 and JVM 6 update 17, but I cannot get it to register on my laptop which is running win xp. So far I have tried jvm 6 updates 16, 17 and 18.

I was just about to click the buy button too for the gm client and several guest licenses :( (from the install on my desktop which is working)... i have to get this working on the laptop in order to use it though... :(

UPDATE::
    Still have not found a version that works on my good laptop... i have windows Vista on my work laptop with JVM 6 update 17 and it works fine as well... it just seems to not work on win xp. :( Sadly that is all that I have left that I have valid licenses for.

11. Dan

Dan Member

I'll forward this to our developers and we'll get you goin!

12. Glav

Glav New Member

Syllus,

I've sent you an email with some questions. Hopefully, we'll get this working for you quickly.

--Glav

13. Darius_nightshade

Darius_nightshade New Member

Downloaded trial cant log in
    says the same as the first post
    i have the latest java and my time is accurate for my time zone
    so what do i do?

14. Glav

Glav New Member

In case the below actually ends up helping, I'm posting this here for others to try if they encounter a similar error.

There is a known issue with Java on Windows XP where Java misreads the System's timezone. More details below, but in short, there is a bug in the Java implementation from Sun. The Java API is not able to translate all possible Windows XP registry timezone patterns to equivalent timezone representations, which leads to problems. It's a weird issue that happens on a select percentage of machines out there.

The supposed fix, as lame as it seems, is to do the following:

1) Change your System timezone to something else. Any random change will do. Apply the changes.
    2) Change your System timezone back to the correct timezone. Apply the changes.

This should set the timezone in the Windows registry so that Java will correctly read it. After doing that, the next time you run d20Pro, everything should work.

For details on this, see the following article:

http://techtavern.wordpress.com/2010/04 ... indows-xp/

This may or may not be a fix for this problem, but it seems a likely solution.

--Glav