1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

[Resolved] - Effects - - Coming Soon?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by phloog, Jun 12, 2010.

1. phloog

phloog Member

Okay...so I need to apply Effects, and the manual greets me with 'Coming Soon!' - - - Maybe it's just me, but I really wish that companies wouldn't accept cash for a software product, particularly one with the complexity of a d20 game manager, without having at least SOME documentation on each of the full set of features. For me advertising a feature for which there is no documentation to tell you HOW to do it is a bit dicey.

So did I just miss some other resource that explains this (hoping so)? I tried looking for YouTube videos and found some on licensing, fog, etc...but nothing on Effects.

If I type 'applying effects' or 'effects' in the search here, I find forum posts about how to REMOVE the effects but nothing on how to apply them.

Everything I've tried myself results in "No Effects Present" when I look at Active Effects, and nothing tied to the token I THOUGHT I was applying an effect to.

If it's simple, then I'm just not getting it - and it should be no big deal to explain it to me and I'll go use it.

If it's complicated, then there should be documentation. Now of course I'm new to D20Pro, so if the online help has only said "Coming Soon" for a few days and it's going to be completed in the next few days then I may be off...but if it has said "Coming Soon" for months that's a problem.

EDIT: Well, continuing to search I wasn't able to find the steps to add effects, but I found a post from someone who wanted the wiki page on effects to be updated - back in March. So it looks like this isn't going anywhere soon.

This leads me to a supplemental question. I realize times are tough and that gaming doesn't really pay huge bucks - often it's a labor of love. But I basically gave up on Fantasy Grounds because despite the fact that it was sold as a commercial product, it was basically amateur hour - that's insulting - too harsh, but in truth it seems like all their programming and support is done by users. D20Pro left me with a different impression, but if things like documentation are going to suffer because this isn't the creator's "day job", then I'm no better off.

EDIT EDIT: Randomly hitting stuff I may have figured out how to do it...let's see if I can hit the same random stuff multiple times...

2. Dan

Dan Member

Re: Effects - - Coming Soon?

Well, you are correct. Times are tough, we do have day jobs, and we are working hard to fight several fires and keep development moving. Right now, we are all preparing for Origins Game Fair, but I'll personally carve out some time Monday to update the Effects page - That's a promise. It's been one of many things that has simply gone unattended for too long.

We appreciate your patience. In the past few months I've been hosting online tutorials for folks who needed how-to's, but it's been suspended for this month in anticipation of Origins.

3. phloog

phloog Member

That's good..and as noted I THINK I "miracled my *ss" into the right answer (to paraphrase Mr. Ermey).

I'll also admit that you're getting some flak that's more deserved by Fantasy Grounds. I bought their base program, then paid EXTRA for a Savage Worlds ruleset. Not only was documentation scarce, but huge chunks of functionality just simply didn't work...and they're relying seemingly 90-95% on the kindness of users to fix all these issues. So while I'm not pleased about your docs, they can't even get the ruleset I paid extra for working right.

My history of nonsense with them makes me less patience with others, so I apologize for that.

4. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

I am new here; but that won't keep me from chiming in.

While it is true, that some of the documentation could use some work. The software itself doesw what it says; and is pretty intuitive.

Personally, even if the documentation was phenomenal, I would still click every button, and change every option - just so that I knew how to use the software.

Being able to look something up, on the fly, is great; but you will only truly know the software when you have used it a few times.

5. phloog

phloog Member

I don't dismiss the value of 'playing' with the software, but I absolutely believe that my 'play' should spring from the documentation. There's a huge difference between R-ing The FM and then playing around to solidify skills and learn more, and just getting thrown in and having to learn EVERYTHING via hunting around and experimentation. I only get about 10-12 hours per month IF I'm lucky to spend on gaming - not really up for spending much more of that learning things that the documentation should contain.

So I agree with you that to learn the subtle ins-and-outs of the software you need to play, but I absolutely stick by my belief that there HAVE to be instructions for the basics, which is not the case here.

Also, perhaps I'm a unique case, but I already have multiple products that do what d20Pro does - I bought d20Pro in the hopes that it was better (and it likely is), and so I'm less likely to want to devote even more time learning YET another product - if it's going to take me jumping in and just wasting time clicking on things until I find that answer, I might as well stay with Klooge, or FG, or Metacreator...yes, oddly enough I own all of these AND DMGenie, HeroLab, etc.

Finally, I guess I realize that gaming (d20 more than many) is complicated, but if they're going to try to drift by without documents/tutorials, then they need a MUCH more intuitive interface...that's a blanket statement I realize - - the template tools and some of the other features are so nice documentation is barely needed, but Effects don't seem to be that way ("When do I stop clicking so that it's applied?" was what I kept thinking).

6. Dan

Dan Member

7. GuyPRunkle

GuyPRunkle New Member

Feature request:

I'm trying to use effects to track conditions in 4E.

Is there any way that we could have the dropdown menu for loading the effect be on the creating an effect window rather than the editing an effect window?

Is there any possibility of having the default duration of an effect be longer than "instantaneous"? Any possibility of having the duration load with the loaded effect?

Thanks in advance!

Guy Runkle

8. Dan

Dan Member

We are looking to revamp the effects system into an actual library that would store them, just like the creatures, items, etc.