1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

[Resolved] HL Import Unexpected Error

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by Jonny11b, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Jonny11b

Jonny11b New Member

Hello,

I am encountering an error Importing characters from HL. The error would appear to intermittent as I was able to Import 3 of them in. The error that pops up is:
    "Unexpected error importing from C:\HeroLab\Portfolios\D20 Pro Files\Rathgar.hld20pro". I was succesful with 3 of 5 files that I attempted to import. I don't know what else to tell you. Is there a place that I can find an error log of some sort, so I can provide/see more details about whats happening?

2. ogexam

ogexam Member

Re: HL Import Unexpected Error

Can you attach your .hld20pro file to a message here so I can look at it and reproduce the error. If you could also attack the .por file that would be helpful as well.

Thanks,

Wesley

3. antra7

antra7 New Member

I am also having the same error message.

4. ogexam

ogexam Member

It was half ranks in skills. You had 1.5 ranks in spot. Perfectly legal, but looks like that is blowing up the importer.

Current fix for this bug, you can edit the file in the skills area to drop the .5 from skills.

I will fix our importer on our end to ignore the .5. More then likely I am trying to convert the field to an integer, and it has a float in the string so boom!

5. dragonlady

dragonlady Member

Another error in the import file is if you list Touch or Ranged Touch in the Weapon section.

Damage is listed "As Spell" and this causes an error in the d20 import since this is not in the xdx format

6. bigkilla

bigkilla Member

Yes I had the same error while attempting to import your character in to my game.

7. ogexam

ogexam Member

Can you attach the .por and the .hld20pro file so I can see an example of the "as spell" for damage please.

8. dragonlady

dragonlady Member

9. ogexam

ogexam Member

I see what the issue is. Looks like someone created items called Range Touch Attack and Touch Attack to be able to have them as weapon attacks in HL.

When I tried to open the .por file I got a bunch of error messages, saying I do not have X Y and Z. Which must be the touch attack items.

Where the touch attacks added?

I am going to look at the code and see if I can default to 1d0 damage whenever a dice formula will not work correctly. That way the attack will come through but do no damage.

10. dragonlady

dragonlady Member

X, Y and Z are probably the user addons that I use during character creations (They are not an issue).

But yes the issue is the ranged touch and touch attack which state "as spell" in the inport file.

The simple fix is to simply use a text editor and delete those two lines from the imported weapons. (which I can do successfully).

But you asked for bug reports, so.....

it seems that d20pro expects an output of xdy (x being a number and y being a number) for the format of the type of damage for an attack rather than a text string "as spell"

FWIW

I already knew the issue.

:)

11. ogexam

ogexam Member

Yes we want bug reports, only way to provide a better program to our users is to know what is broken.

Well it is fixed now, I just coded it so instead of failing the import when it does not find the xdy+z forumla it instead just sets the damage to 1d0 (no damage dealt)

It will be in the next release with plugins.

12. Dan

Dan Member

Marking as resolved