1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

[Resolved] "Network is Unreachable..connect" Error

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by templar12, Sep 10, 2009.

1. templar12

templar12 Member

Hello! Doing ,my first trial run before we go full, on a connection run, my player could not connect to my IP address, and kept timing out and giving the subject error.
    I have a full player/gm license, up to 6 players. The license is on my computer and my buddies.
    Please help?

2. templar12

templar12 Member

Re: "Network is Unreachable..connect" Error

More info, if needed, to assess. Using iMac 10.5.8 with AirPort.
    I looked at the port forward weblink, and not really sure I need to do that static IP address, etc.
    I have Security Firewall settings "Allow all incoming connections"
    Made sure I am giving my Public IP address.

On a seperate PC laptop in my house, same AirPort wireless, I CAN connect, but only through local IP address.
    But nobody from their homes can connect to me...

3. templar12

templar12 Member

okay. after hours of internet research, I am now very educated in the world of port forwarding, especially now on mac, and how routers and wireless can screw things up for you.
    But I have now bypassed that problem, and skipped having to go through the kobold crap of manually changing things.
    I have found Lighthouse, an automated program for your mac products that does everything for you.
    Your Apple users can find it here: http://codelaide.com/blog/products/lighthouse
    I also found mentions of Port Map found here : www.codingmonkeys.de/portmap/
    Lighthouse is what I'm using, free trial run., but registration is $12.99USD after trial.
    Be sure to Set Profile in Lighthouse, drag the d20 icon in from Applications, insert your default 10101 port. Start the Profile, and ... hack and slash.
    I haven't used PortMap yet, but blogs said that was free.
    I also found this sight to be helpful regarding port forwarding setting for mac users w AirPorts : forum.freeverse.com/viewtopic
    And this : discussions.apple.com Search in these under internet gaming;port forwarding, etc etc
    (I am a turncoat from PCs this past year, and relearning Apple/Mac Leopard)
    :p

4. BrashFink

BrashFink New Member

Really the problem shouldn't have much to do with whether something is wireless or wired. You just need to make sure the ports are forwarded properly on your router if you want it to work with out the additional software.

Seeing as how it works fine there on your local network for you, you have pointed out that the problem is not on the Mac itself, but the router when it exits your network. What Brand/Model router are you using?

5. templar12

templar12 Member

yeah, i read how to do all manually, but having a program run it fo rme is so much easier, and i dont mess anything up! I am using an apple AirPort

6. BrashFink

BrashFink New Member

Okay cool, if the program works for you then that works.

My group originally was using Fantasy Grounds, but for some reason port forwarding was being painful. Eventually we started using Hamachi to do much the same thing. However, I found this annoying because I didn't like the idea of having to run some additional piece of software that shouldn't be required.

7. Dan

Dan Member

Brash, thanks for stepping in an assisting. I've been out of commission with the flu for a few days and missed this post. Templar, he is correct about the router. Good to see that you have it up and running. Again, I apologize for the tardy reply!

8. BrashFink

BrashFink New Member

No problem Dan. I actually am going to write up a small Port Forwarding Guide for posting here. Should have it done this coming week.