1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

"Save Game State" does not save AC (deflection)

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by bigkilla, Oct 18, 2011.

1. bigkilla

bigkilla Member

OK. I am rebuilding the Bestiary with all of the creatures abilities and what not added in. So for the Angels I make a ability called Protective Aura (Su) and add in the modifiers for +4 deflection to AC and the +4 to saves bonuses and give it a infinite duration and cast it on said creature and everything is fine. Then upon saving everything and closing D20Pro and reloading it the creatures deflection bonus to AC is 0 and when I check the Protective Aura (Su) ability the deflection bonus is gone from the ability in the abilities list as well. Very weird that the deflection bonus does not stick to the ability after a restart of the D20Pro.

Protective Aura (Su) Against attacks made or effects created by evil creatures, this ability provides a +4 deflection bonus to AC and a +4 resistance bonus on saving throws to anyone within 20 feet of the angel. Otherwise, it functions as a magic circle against evil effect and a lesser globe of invulnerability, both with a radius of 20 feet (caster level equals angel's HD). The defensive benefits from the circle are not included in an angel's statistics block.

2. GropeyC

GropeyC New Member

Re: Deflection Bonus to AC wont stay with abilities after re

Is it really worth it to rebuild that database when 3.0 is supposedly nearing the finish line? I've only been building a session at a time because I'm afraid to see how much of my work would be thrown out when the new version lands on our plates.

3. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

@bigkilla
    That is very strange indead. If you want you can send me the creature that is having problems and I'll see if I can get it to stick.

@GropeyC
    Even though there will be changes in version 3.0, none of your work done in version 2.4 will have gone to waste. Version 3.0 comes with a built-in legacy importer for exported files; and if you use the d20Pro Updater it will convert your v2.4 installation to v3.0.

4. bigkilla

bigkilla Member

OK. I will upload them here for you to play around with.

Of course the deflection bonus did not come through on these test copies so you will have to go into the abilities tab and add the deflection bonus to the Protective Aura (Su) ability. Then save your current game then reload, and upon reloading the deflection bonus should be erased from the Protective Aura (Su) ability and from the buff if you had applied it to the creature.

Attached Files:

5. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

I see what you are wanting to do now, this would be more of a feature request. Active Effects are not currently carried over when you save the map, or save the creature with it's current effects active. d20Pro only stores the Active Effects when you close and reopen d20Pro itself. This would be a good feature request.

6. Montis

Montis New Member

No, actually the OP is right.

To reproduce this bug create a creature ability that does the following:
    +1 to deflection AC
    +1 to natural AC
    for a set amount of time (not instant)

Then use this ability on any creature and move any creature (else it doesn't save the stuff you made for some reason).

Quit d20pro, start it again and inspect the effect and the ability you made.
    -> The natural AC bonus is still there while the deflection AC is gone.

Me and my players would very much like this to be fixed for 3.1 as we have some effects that give deflection AC and it's annoying to edit them everytime we start a new session.

7. ChrisRevocateur

Montis, yes the OP is correct, but so is Curtis.

Curtis didn't say that the effect should continue. He said that Active Effects are not saved when saving a map (which is what you're doing when you quit d20Pro, in case you didn't know). The effects of an ability, regardless of the duration, including permanent, are Active Effects, which means that it will not transfer over from one session to the next, period. Curtis stated that if you want Active Effects to carry over, you should go and say so in the Feature Request section, as that is a feature not currently in the program.

8. Montis

Montis New Member

But why do all other effects get saved, only the deflection bonus does not? Doesn't make sense.

9. ChrisRevocateur

When you open up d20Pro after closing it, open the Active Effects window and see if anything is there. From what I understand, nothing should be.

10. bigkilla

bigkilla Member

Active effects do save from game to game.Spell effects like mage armor and many others do, I have not seen any case where they did not except for the strange deflection bonus I noticed, If they did not save playing games over multiple sessions would be a nightmare having to re apply effects from session to session.

11. Montis

Montis New Member

[​IMG]

I just opened d20Pro and made that screenshot without doing anything else.

12. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Oh! OK.

Now I understand the issue.

Before Restarting d20Pro
    [​IMG]

After Restarting d20Pro
    [​IMG]

AC (deflection) does not carry over after Restarting d20Pro.

13. Montis

Montis New Member

That's what I said the whole time. :p

14. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

I see that. :)

I just haven't read this thread since I last posted on Nov 17th when I took OP's "save game" which I took as "Save Map" for some reason, not "save game state" (F2 or exit from d20Pro); and, "reload" as "Open Saved Map" (instead of start new d20Pro Judge session).

I still think saving Active Effects and Current Game Time when saving a copy of the map would be an awesome feature request - that way you can Judge multiple sessions using the same Campaign files. Or another feature request from my initial thoughts about saving Active Effects on a creature in play (when you save the creature, you save it's active effects and the remaining duration for each - good for bad guys who have time to buff before combat and the GM can just drag-drop it from the Library to the map when needed complete with it's own active effects).

I like pictures. I'll re-read any thread if it contains new pictures or screenshots :) . I believe this will be fixed for 3.1. :)