1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Shadow Casting Requst

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ogexam, May 31, 2016.

1. ogexam

ogexam Member

In playing testing with version 3.6.3 I had one major request from my players.

they want to see the map where they have been instead of it going dark again.

I can switch it ot passive and reveal the entire fog of war, which is ok.

It would be great if there was a 3rd state, not sure what to call it though. That does a 50% opacity or grey out, sort of what the DM sees when fog of war is on.
    that way the PCs can see the map, but then it is still covered with fog of war. So monsters can move around and not be seen but when the PCs light reveals the area it is fully seen.

Would this be easy or hard to implement?

2. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

Just with limited coding experience I can tell you that at best that would probably have to be a feature for the new engine and not doable with Legacy. The reason it would have to wait, if my thinking is correct, is because it would have to remember where each light has been on huge mask areas, I E outdoor masks. So that the unexplored area of the mask would be black but the explored area would be gray. Kind of like the program worked for Balder's Gate and the rest of those type of games.

And as it is Classic slows way down with multiple light sources. I have one map where I have 7 players and I have to have 20 light sources per player for fog effects. The system crawls with each movement because of it.

Please keep in mind I don't know this program at all coding whys so take the above with a grain of salt because I could be dead wrong.

3. ogexam

ogexam Member

Let me clarify.

I did not mean for it to remember where light sources have been. But the DM have the ability to set a fog of war region to "show but cover"

So the map can be seen, but fog of war works as if it was 100% blacked out. creatures covered will be invisible, light sources eat away at it to reveal the full view of the map.

It should be doable with the current code base. Though I have not done any of the fog of war coding so not sure how doable it is.

So if you had one big area, yes you would have to reveal it all when you set it to "show but cover". Though most maps are roomed off so I can set the rooms to that setting once the PCs have been there. so they know where they have been. Or I can leave it on interactive and let it black our, or go full visibility by making it passive.

4. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

Got you. Then I have no idea. :)